Turbo Upgrade
01-17-2023, (Subject: Turbo Upgrade ) 
Turbo Upgrade
I have CM871 CPL2733 that we are overhauling with CPL2919 parts and would like to try to tune it up to get a little more power and maybe better fuel mileage. The question I have is the turbo it has on it is a 4309077RX but the 2919CPL asks for a 4309078RX. I would like to use my old turbo until it is wore out and wondered how important it is to upgrade if we want to push it to 550-600 hp. This truck is a 2010 Prostar that is pulling 145k plus all the time.
replyreply
RE: Turbo Upgrade
(01-17-2023 )CornHauler Wrote:  I have CM871 CPL2733 that we are overhauling with CPL2919 parts and would like to try to tune it up to get a little more power and maybe better fuel mileage. The question I have is the turbo it has on it is a 4309077RX but the 2919CPL asks for a 4309078RX. I would like to use my old turbo until it is wore out and wondered how important it is to upgrade if we want to push it to 550-600 hp. This truck is a 2010 Prostar that is pulling 145k plus all the time.

first and foremost.. there is no such thing as "more power".. and "better fuel mileage"... you got some kind of pipe dream if you think you can have both. Take your pick.. either you want to go up the hills faster and eat the fuel out of it.. or slow down, use less power.. and save fuel, lowering operating costs. - You cannot have both.. that does not exist.

NEXT... if you go to the bigger turbo (the titanium turbine version ) then your fuel mileage is going to go down by about 0.7 - 1.0 mpg just from having to drive that heavier turbine, regardless of anything else you do. - something else to think about.

It sounds to me like you have been a bit mis-informed there..

so ... you need to make a decisions. Either set it up for higher average loads and heavier haul applications and take the fuel hit for the sake of at least some of the engine and turbo longevity.. at the cost of fuel.. or to choose to save fuel, lowering your operating costs and saving more moneys.. but not to be the first one up the hills.

There is an easy way to tell on the CM871's and CM870' what turbo you have without taking them apart. It can be done by checking the cold side impeller retaining nut. The more fuel efficient version of the 500VG has the 12-point nut holding the turbine in place and a slightly smaller diameter shaft.. and the titanium version that is less fuel efficient, but made for higher heat flow/heavy haul, has a 6-point nut and a slightly larger dia. shaft.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: CornHauler
Running mine with 2919 internals and the small turbo for a year now. I can get pretty close to the same mileage I got before with the 2732, but it takes a lot more restraint. A heavy foot is fun, but it also costs a lot more than it did before. If I had a 2733 to start, I don't think making any changes would be worth it personally. In fact if you're tuned already, I doubt you'll be able to notice ANY difference, either seat-of-the pants or speed climbing grade. Turbo costs aside, jumping CPL's adds around $10-12k more onto a rebuild.
replyreply
01-18-2023, (Subject: Turbo Upgrade ) 
Thanks for the info and the help. Yes I have probably been misinformed being in MI you know who the hot topic tuner is {name removed}. I am just trying to learn as I go here and hopefully not make a bunch of mistakes and melt something down. We are rebuilding to the bigger CPL based on a recommendation of a local shop saying if we are going to get hp it would be better for the engine. I am seeing by reading this forum and researching that obviously tuning properly and using oem parts is playing as big a role as anything. Fuel mileage is nice in what we do but it seems like a lot of our loads are 154,000-164,000 and it is just hard to get "good" fuel mileage and still be able to pull decently.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
01-18-2023, (Subject: Turbo Upgrade ) 
(01-18-2023 )CornHauler Wrote:  Thanks for the info and the help. Yes I have probably been misinformed being in MI you know who the hot topic tuner is {name removed}. I am just trying to learn as I go here and hopefully not make a bunch of mistakes and melt something down. We are rebuilding to the bigger CPL based on a recommendation of a local shop saying if we are going to get hp it would be better for the engine. I am seeing by reading this forum and researching that obviously tuning properly and using oem parts is playing as big a role as anything. Fuel mileage is nice in what we do but it seems like a lot of our loads are 154,000-164,000 and it is just hard to get "good" fuel mileage and still be able to pull decently.

I can tell you right now that you are seriously mis-imformed by a bunch of completely clueless people if you think that you can get any kind of decent custom ecm programming in that area.

Nothing but engine killing garbage is goign to be the result, ... and this is before those clowns even start to add power.

Bad ecm programming and custom tuning is an absolute plague in the trucking industry, and most people find this out the hard way after their engine fails prematurely after having any kind of that type of work done.

They then ultimately end up here, after a bunch of grief, with me reviewing that custom tune program and telling them how many engine killing mistakes are really in there. - It is a daily occurrence it seems around here.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid13255

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.