Cracked head or liner?
09-13-2016, (Subject: Cracked head or liner? ) 
Cracked head or liner?
Hey guys. I have a question for you. I have a ISX manufactured in 12/2006. I had the unmentionable done to my ECM for after treatment issues system. Only came with the egr no DPF. Anyways before I had that done I had new injectors installed and my intake rocker arms rebuilt. Then I went out for s run and noticed I had low oil pressure spikes. I brought it back to Kenworth and we tore the oil pan off and noticed my oil pump pick up tube connection was severed. So we replaced the pump and checked main and rod bearing. All looked great. 2 months after I had the thing done to my ECM and we plugged off the system with freez plugs. My egr was bad and cooler had just started to leak. I've been running my truck like that for four months. Now my engine is pressurizing my coolant system some how and I'm affraid it's gunna be really expensive. No coolant in the oil. No oil in the coolant. It blows bubbles out the overflow tube off the radiator cap when I submerge it into a water bottle. It won't do it when I start the truck cold. It has to be around operating temp. If I'm pulling a load and get the temp up the bubbles are intense. Otherwise just a moderate bloop bloop when at normal temp. That leads me to believe it's heat/metal involved so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or seen this before.
replyreply
RE: Cracked head or liner?
The egr cooler can pressurize coolant system, as can air compressor and head or head gasket. Since you said egr was leaking, I would start there. Rawze has videos of how to do it, really easy with pressure tester. Welcome to forum and good luck. Best ISX guys on the planet on here.
replyreply
Hey thanks. I tried the air compressor disconnect to see if it would change anything. No luck. The egr cooler is completely isolated from exhaust. Plugged on input and output side. Would it still cause my issue?
replyreply
Well, The first mistake was isolating the egr cooler, preventing the necessary flow from occurring. It's good that you checked to see if the engine air compressor is causing the cooling system to pressure up. The next step I suggest, is too to buy yourself a coolant pressure tester, pressure up the cooling system, drop the oil pan, and see if you have coolant running down the inside of any of your liners. If you do, this is sure sign of a bad head gasket, or cracked head. Mine turned out to be a bad head gasket, when it did the very same thing yours is doing.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
EGR cooler plugged? Probably cooked the head... That heat has to go somewhere. Along with a questionable tune... Not good.
replyreply
Wow great idea. Also on the egr cooler I didn't block the coolant circulation. I put a freeze plug in between the egr and egr cooler. I put another one over where the hard line ties into the intake. So if I disconnect that hard line it's completely full of coolant and pressure. I double checked that the plugs were holding seal and even welded the egr valve closed to be sure. Otherwise I didn't plug off any coolant lines.
replyreply
(09-13-2016 )Mluper Wrote:  Wow great idea. Also on the egr cooler I didn't block the coolant circulation. I put a freeze plug in between the egr and egr cooler. I put another one over where the hard line ties into the intake. So if I disconnect that hard line it's completely full of coolant and pressure. I double checked that the plugs were holding seal and even welded the egr valve closed to be sure. Otherwise I didn't plug off any coolant lines.

Is it MM? or some other tuning?

What is your max boost getting to under maximum torque/load?

How high is your pyro getting to? -- Do you even have a boost and pyro gauges? -- or are you driving it with a blindfold on?

What was/is the HP set to for the mandate removal? -- Torque setting?

Does it still have the VG turbo? -- did anyone bother to re-program it properly for the mandate removal?

I would suggest reading this article very carefully...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=729

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Pyro gets to 1050 degrees. Boost has gone clear up to 50 psi when it was -30 degrees out. I do have a VG turbo on it. As far as the programming I have no idea.
replyreply
I asked what the power was at and he didn't know. It was s 565. But when he initially did the delete it felt underpowered. He did some tweaking and it came to life.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.