Cracked head or liner?
09-16-2016, (Subject: Cracked head or liner? ) 
RE: Cracked head or liner?
(09-16-2016 )hhow55 Wrote:  My question is, Where the hell is he, where temps are -30f
Just a red flag i see!!!!

I live in Alberta. -30 is very common during winter months here. -50c with the wind on real bad days. Up north is even worse!

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(09-16-2016 )hhow55 Wrote:  My question is, Where the hell is he, where temps are -30f
Just a red flag i see!!!!
I agree with Brock, that's not unusual at all...it's not even that unusual in MN, ND, SD, WY, & MT.
If that's a red flag, don't come to Canada from November through March...unless you pack your flag, lol.
Now if he had said -50f, I'd have wondered the same thing, but not -30f
I was working on the ice roads two winters ago and it got down to -58C/-72f during one storm where the wind was blowing 45mph with gusts to 60ish. That's static temp, not windchill! THAT was cold. We all parked nose to nose for the road closure at the mine and they brought two containers and put them at either end of the rows where the trucks were to help as a wind block. Even with that, idling at 1500rpm only gave me 140-150f coolant temp. Sat there like that for two days!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
Bad tuning aside,.. There is some known issues with the CM870 custom tuned or not at -30-40 degrees outside temps that cause over-boosting, even from the factory. The latest versions of MM for the CM870 solve it from what I hear. Gearhead and Unilevers both know about this problem and solved it a long time ago from what I have heard.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
11-11-2018, (Subject: Cracked head or liner? ) 
(09-15-2016 )dbl overdrive Wrote:  Rawze's words may seem harsh but he speaks the truth. You have a bad tune and that's where you need to start before you grenade the engine.
Who knows what other carnage has occurred inside the engine.
Whatever you do, keep that boost under 40 and preferably 30 and baby that thing untill you at least get the tune fixed.
If it was me, I would park it untill it's fixed.
Good luck.

^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^never ever ever exceed 35 psi of boost!!!
It’s not a purpose built race motor, don’t run it like one...... it’s a stock motor so run it like one.
Manifold pressure is not to exceed 35 psi
Exhaust temps should not be able to go over 900* or allowed to.
Period!!!
Don’t use higher fuel pressure to gain torque or HP.
That a quick and short road to injector failure and holes in you pistons.
If you want more fuel to gain torque, horsepower or both requires different injectors and turbo to correctly achieve this.
A change in injector pulse and timing can add some torque and power but not much. Of course I’m speaking of high pressure common rail.

If your tune allows you to exceed these just don’t do it. Watch your gauges and keep your temps and pressure under max ranges.

I’m not going to bash you for getting a tune but I will bash you for not knowing your limits and operating at or below those limits.

User's Signature: Have you checked your muffler bearings today?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.