Front end vibration 2015 PROSTAR
01-30-2023, (Subject: Front end vibration 2015 PROSTAR ) 
Front end vibration 2015 PROSTAR
Yesterday I noticed both steers have a visible vibration you can see without touching them. I’ve tried googling the problem but I couldn’t find anything. It’s not an absurd amount of vibration but enough to notice. No issues with vibration while driving. Just noticed when I was idling. Fluid in hubs are good. I’m a little anal about everything with my truck and just noticing it I figured that it wasn’t right. Just seeing what I need to check, and if serious how serious. Thanks!
replyreply
RE: Front end vibration 2015 PROSTAR
Ever change out the crank shaft damper? Cummins recommends every 500,000 miles to replace. Could be causing the vibration you are seeing.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Bengy88 , Beardedtrucker
No I haven’t. I was lead to believe since they are fluid filled they were lifetime. If not I’m 75k over on getting that changed. Are they fairly easy to swap out? I know they are a little pricey.
replyreply
(01-30-2023 )Beardedtrucker Wrote:  No I haven’t. I was lead to believe since they are fluid filled they were lifetime. If not I’m 75k over on getting that changed. Are they fairly easy to swap out? I know they are a little pricey.

They're kind of luck of the draw. Some come off ok, others are horrendous and will fight you every damn 1/16th of an inch (look for Rawze's experience with his). Mine came off fairly easy, but I'm in the South and never run in any salty environments. The type of truck you have will also play a factor. I have a Cascadia, so it did have the room to remove and replace without tearing the front end down.

Buy an OEM dampner only. They come bare metal, so prep properly before installing otherwise it will rust immediately. Also, make marks indicating the location of the stamped marks on the balancer itself (you'll see what I'm talking about once you look at it). These are critical marks for various procedures having to do with the engine. Will certainly come in handy to have a definitive mark on each of these points.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bengy88 , Waterloo , Beardedtrucker
01-31-2023, (Subject: Front end vibration 2015 PROSTAR ) 
(01-30-2023 )Beardedtrucker Wrote:  No I haven’t. I was lead to believe since they are fluid filled they were lifetime. .

the viscous fluid in them does go bad eventually. NOt changing it when it is going bad or gets older than recommended eventually takes out the ecm and other things.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bengy88 , Beardedtrucker
01-31-2023, (Subject: Front end vibration 2015 PROSTAR ) 
Ok I’ll give that a go. When I get back into town I’ll go pick one up.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.