Help! Cummins Isx CM871 Programming
02-10-2023, (Subject: Help! Cummins Isx CM871 Programming ) 
RE: Help! Cummins Isx CM871 Programming
(02-10-2023 )mxmom777 Wrote:  So truck is at a parent certified Cummins repair shop and they are telling me this AV10239 program is incorrect for the engine serial number and that if they put it in the truck it’ll blow it sky high if it even starts. They told me that the pistons are hydrocarboned and the lower end needs to be rebuilt. Said it should have constant loss of power and burning a lot of oil, which it’s not doing either.

I called Cummins to confirm it is for North America and not country specific and it is dual use. They weren’t able to verify this place was even an authorized service locator any longer. So I reached back out to dealership to be advised by service advisor that I had no clue what I was talking about and that they just can’t go changing programming without first going through step by step.

I’m at the mercy of Cummins to make rbis truck operational or at least take it to a fair starting point to diagnose.

I hope like h$ell you realized that whoever you talked to was beyond a complete moron there. You should have pointed that idiot towards that TSB from cummins that I mentioned above there real fast, and put this complete retard in their place. -= That is telling of how utterly ignorant those OEM certified places really are.. they are beyond go##damn clueless!!!>

It also sounds to me like you need to stop drinking the cool-aide by those completely clueless OEM-certified repair shops. -= They are absolutely beyond the WORST places to take your truck and engine to..nonetheless to get any kind of advice from.

Did someone actually say these things ridiculous to you??. >.. or are you trying to troll my forum?.

I have owned, tracked, and worked on the CM871's since the days when they were the newest, hottest selling engine on the market.

Did you not read the official cummins TSB that I referenced to above???.
ref: http://rawze.com/publicfiles/docs/ISX/TS...umbers.pdf
This, like all other TSB's references are made by the engine manufacturer themselves (cummins corporate) and NOT some idiot OEM certified collection of dumbarsses that have been severely under-trained, or just don't give a damn past taking your moneys and selling you some parts to throw at it.

I don't know who you might have talked to, but what you describe sounds like some moron straight out of diesel mechanics school who is beyond goddamn clueless!. What a joke!

As far as the correct program that needs to be run your particular engine goes... you need to find out what design standard by which that the after-garbage DPF was made from. CUMMINS will not even be able to answer this question, as THEY DID NOT MAKE IT!. THE AFTER-GARBAGE COMAPNY DID.. AND LIKELY IT WAS SOMEONE IN CHINA!

And I'll bet you they will not have a correct answer,.. hence, exactly why I call them after-garbage!. Cummins will not know the answer to this. they did not invent the make and mopdel DPF unit that you have on the truck... and quite frankly.. It would not even surprise me if those units were not even officially approved by the EPA.

HENCE MY STATEMENTS ABOVE: Without an OEM dpf unit on it, it is anyone's guess!.

==============
and just for reference.. --- NO!>>>> Switching to the other program (based on the newer DPF style) will not "blow up your engine" like some complete idiot at the OEM place claims. It simply would have more DPF issues if it was a mis-match ... or might help resolve some issues if that is the program needed .. and nothing more. Those programs are otherwise 100% compatible with that engine.

here are the exact differences when looking at EVERY SINGLE LINE OF CODE IN THE PROGRAMMING!...

* The AV10239 program (EMD)- 'Emissions Diagnostics Manager' has a higher allowance for exhaust flow thru the DPF before a fault or cancellation sets in.

* The (SFP)' 'Soot Filter Protection' manager has a slightly tighter control for what is considered 'clean', 'dirty', and 'in need of deep cleaning' requirements... yet has a loose tolerance on the amount of NOx gasses that can get thru it. -= these setting changes overall are a kind of give and take scenario based on a different DPF element designs.

* The (SFP)manager is set to have its de-soot requests a bit more lenient for the AV10239 vs. the AV10046 program.

* The (SFR)- 'Soot Filter Reduction' manager is set to allow a bit more soot buildup (allows more back-pressure) in the AV10239 program vs. the AV10046 before a regen request is initiated... BUT the max soot load allowed is slightly lower. Again, this is a 'give and take' type of scenario for the DPF allowances based on different designs.

If anyone wants to see this for themselves ... I am more than willing to share my desktop via a streaming service and show/go-over every single line of code in both of programs so that they can see it with their own eyes too... unlike the OEM-certified collection of idiots who do not even have access to this, nor would even know what they were looking at if they did.... I have software that can see 100% of everything in both of these programs.

-=====================

ALL OTHER SETTINGS IN THESE 2 PROGRAMS ARE 100% IDENTICAL!!... All the hardware for the engine is the same. all the timing, injector settings, fuel-air-mix, fuel pump flow, intake and exhaust flow, turbo, .. literally all of the other 7,900+ program settings are 100% identical to each other!. -== The AV10239 is EXACTLY THE SAME PROGRAM as the AV10046 in every single way with only the exact changes that I mentioned above. .. so...

If that AV10239 program was so damned dangerous... according to whatever complete fusck$tart, under-educated idiot that you talked to there... then so is the AV10046 just as equally.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: trucklogger2 , mxmom777 , Bengy88
02-13-2023, (Subject: Help! Cummins Isx CM871 Programming ) 
Absolutely, not trying to troll anything.. Just trying my best to come to an answer that nobody is able to thus far.. the truck has not been working since mid Dec, he's been taking it to shop after shop and its now close to $20G and absolutely no further ahead. I do have a background in CNC Machining so know enough to realize we are changing sensor upon sensor not even relative to any part we've been advised was the cause. Also, when the engine acts up cycling the key off and eventually back on seems to give it a fresh start. It started to be a noticeable issue when it began dropping below 0 Celsius. He just purchased this truck mid May 2022..

The truck will run fine for 2-3 hours into the trip then fall flat on its face. and run roughwhat he relates to be like a freight train. Then it will do it's thing and resolve or he's pulled off and seems to do a key cycle getting fuel, unloading ect and then its good again for 2-3 hours.

The cummins cert shop ended up doing a regen but said it took a very long time. They argued the program you advised of was wrong and would blow the truck up and not the correct one. They concluded the engine was worn out and needed an in-frame. So my husband told them to give him a quote (he failed to consider the tech that suggested this is the brother of the owner of his usual repair shop and it was suggested to him in conversation a couple of weeks ago that the brother does engines as a side job), I might be way off and reading into it too far but what a coincidence... He failed to tell them the truck has around 300,000km since a head/block and complete overhaul was done by Kenworth.

- so after this shi#t show I provided the TSB for the Update and they completed it this morning. I asked if it regened and they advised - They put the calibration in and did the regen analyzer test and it came up failed due to Diesel Particulate Intake Temp being to low.

I asked them if they happened to look at the OEM ambient sensor as I noticed that it was a constant 72F every time it was connected to the computer anytime it had previously connected to the computer prior to this update. They told me they didn't check it and that they wouldn't be able to get it in to do until end of week at best. - So not sure if still 72F IF SO WHY WOULD THIS HAPPEN? SEEMS LIKE ITS DEFAULTED TO ROOM TEMP. I am in Ontario Canada so feel this would play a significant role.

It was at cummins a couple weeks ago, they said could be DOC but then turbo. We asked for readings to conclude turbo replacement and they could not provide so he took to original garage they had been doing the work at and asked them to confirm turbo. They stated everything was operating as it should and this is what was concluded. -exhaust temps did not get up past 500, but turbo speed seems to be in spec. Regen analyzer failed. DPF intake temp is low.
- removed exhaust backpressure sensor, cleaned soot that was in sensor and pipe from manifold. cleaned and inspected manifold and sensors.
- split turbo to check veins. no seizing or sticking so cleaned and reassembled.
ran regen analyzer again. exhasut temps did come up past 500 degrees and doser began to inject. Found that once engine fan kicks on when coolant temp is 210 degrees, it drops back down to 200. Exhasut gas temps drop and dosing stops. Exhaust temps can't climb back up enough to dose fuel before engine fan kicks back on causing regen to abort.
- replaced coolant temp sensor and replaced harness plug for sensor. did regen analyzer monitored temps began dosing fuel but exhaust temps wont stay up...
replyreply
(02-13-2023 )mxmom777 Wrote:  Absolutely, not trying to troll anything.. Just trying my best to come to an answer that nobody is able to thus far.. the truck has not been working since mid Dec, he's been taking it to shop after shop and its now close to $20G and absolutely no further ahead. I do have a background in CNC Machining so know enough to realize we are changing sensor upon sensor not even relative to any part we've been advised was the cause. Also, when the engine acts up cycling the key off and eventually back on seems to give it a fresh start. It started to be a noticeable issue when it began dropping below 0 Celsius. He just purchased this truck mid May 2022..

The truck will run fine for 2-3 hours into the trip then fall flat on its face. and run roughwhat he relates to be like a freight train. Then it will do it's thing and resolve or he's pulled off and seems to do a key cycle getting fuel, unloading ect and then its good again for 2-3 hours.

The cummins cert shop ended up doing a regen but said it took a very long time. They argued the program you advised of was wrong and would blow the truck up and not the correct one. They concluded the engine was worn out and needed an in-frame. So my husband told them to give him a quote (he failed to consider the tech that suggested this is the brother of the owner of his usual repair shop and it was suggested to him in conversation a couple of weeks ago that the brother does engines as a side job), I might be way off and reading into it too far but what a coincidence... He failed to tell them the truck has around 300,000km since a head/block and complete overhaul was done by Kenworth.

- so after this shi#t show I provided the TSB for the Update and they completed it this morning. I asked if it regened and they advised - They put the calibration in and did the regen analyzer test and it came up failed due to Diesel Particulate Intake Temp being to low.

I asked them if they happened to look at the OEM ambient sensor as I noticed that it was a constant 72F every time it was connected to the computer anytime it had previously connected to the computer prior to this update. They told me they didn't check it and that they wouldn't be able to get it in to do until end of week at best. - So not sure if still 72F IF SO WHY WOULD THIS HAPPEN? SEEMS LIKE ITS DEFAULTED TO ROOM TEMP. I am in Ontario Canada so feel this would play a significant role.

It was at cummins a couple weeks ago, they said could be DOC but then turbo. We asked for readings to conclude turbo replacement and they could not provide so he took to original garage they had been doing the work at and asked them to confirm turbo. They stated everything was operating as it should and this is what was concluded. -exhaust temps did not get up past 500, but turbo speed seems to be in spec. Regen analyzer failed. DPF intake temp is low.
- removed exhaust backpressure sensor, cleaned soot that was in sensor and pipe from manifold. cleaned and inspected manifold and sensors.
- split turbo to check veins. no seizing or sticking so cleaned and reassembled.
ran regen analyzer again. exhasut temps did come up past 500 degrees and doser began to inject. Found that once engine fan kicks on when coolant temp is 210 degrees, it drops back down to 200. Exhasut gas temps drop and dosing stops. Exhaust temps can't climb back up enough to dose fuel before engine fan kicks back on causing regen to abort.
- replaced coolant temp sensor and replaced harness plug for sensor. did regen analyzer monitored temps began dosing fuel but exhaust temps wont stay up...

Sorry mxmom777 I slap forgot to respond to your text. Was a rough day. The dpf inlet temp being low can be from multiple things (not ambient air temperature). A bad hydrocarbon injector, bad DOC, extremely clogged dpf, low boost…. The list goes on. It sucks that you are at the mercy of jackasses that are probably clueless as to how to check these things. A word of advice invest in a pc and a diagnostics connector. There are a few of us that are more than willing to remote in to trucks and help people figure out exactly what’s going on as long as they are mechanically inclined, there are tons of rawze videos to help people figure out their own problems so that you don’t have to be at the mercy of the clueless. A dealerships main goal is to take your money. They have a goal of billed hours for the end of every month and that is all they care about doing is reaching that goal.
replyreply
(02-13-2023 )mxmom777 Wrote:  ...
he's been taking it to shop after shop and its now close to $20G and absolutely no further ahead.
a noticeable issue when it began dropping below 0 Celsius.
The cummins cert shop ... {more garbage info from those clueless cert shops } ... {they} concluded the engine was worn out and needed an in-frame
... and they ...
... I asked them ...
... They told me they ...
... they wouldn't be able to ...
... It was at cummins a couple weeks ago, they said ...
... and they could not provide ...
... and asked them to ...
... {it} began dosing fuel but exhaust temps wont stay up...

Your post above just now IS EXACTLY WHAT YOUR PROBLEMS ARE!!!... > THE FACT THAT YOU ARE NOT TAKING MATTERS INTO YOUR OWN HANDS BUT KEEP TAKING IT TO.. AND LISTENING TO .. THEY!..

WHO ARE NOTHING BUT THE COMPLETE GAGGLE OF OEM-CERTIFIED, INCOMPETENT IDIOTS WHO ARE ONLY EXPERTS AT TAKING YOUR MONEYS ENDLESSLY AND SHOVING PARTS AT IT AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE UNTIL YOU GO OUT OF BUSINESS OR IT MIRACLES THE PROBLEM TO GO AWAY AFTER ENOUGH GUESSING!.

IF YOU DON'T START WAKING UP AND TAKING CONTROL OF THIS.. THEN YOU WILL CONTINUE TO BE TAKEN FOR ALL YOU ARE WORTH!@.

YOU.. NO ONE ELSE ... BUT YOU!!... THE TRUCK OWNER.. CAN FIX THESE KINDS OF ISSUES WITHOUT SPENDING ENDLESS AMOUNTS OF MONEYS!!... THIS MEANS GRABBING A DA$MN WRENCH AND LEARNING TO WORK ON IT YOURSELF .. OR GO BACK TO BEING A COMAPNY DRIVER FOR SOMEONE ELSE.. BECAUSE YOU WILL TAKE HOME MORE MONEYS IN THE END!.

OWNING A TRUCK === LEARNING TO OWN IT.. AND WORK ON IT.. AND REPAIRING IT.. AND DOING ALL THE THINGS THAT ARE NECESSARY TO KEEP THAT EQUIPMENT HEALTHY .. AND NOT .. TAKING IT ENDLESSLY TO.. >>>THEY! ... SO THAT "THEY" CAN EMPTY YOUR WALLET AND TAKE ALL YOUR PROFITS AWAY EVERY COUPLE YEARS!

==== THAT IS THE SYSTEM .. AND YOU ARE WHOLE HEATEDLY SUCKED RIGHT INTO IT LIKE THE GOOD LITTLE TRUCK OWNERS THAT YOU ARE, WITH ALL THE GLEE AND FANCY LOGO-BASED BUILDINGS AND FANCY OFFICES AND FANCY WAITING ROOMS WITH TELEVISIONS SETS .. ALL SUCKING YOU IN LIKE FOOLS TO TAKE YOUR MONEYS ENDLESSLY WHILE THEY THROW EX$$$ PARTS AT YOUR TRUCK, KEEPING YOU DOWN VIA THEIR WELL-KNOWN INCOMPETENCE, JUST LIKE I MENTIONED ABOVE!!!!.

STOP.. STOP..STOP.. TAKING IT TO... AND LISTENING TO ... "THEY"!!! .. AND GRAB A GODDAMN WRENCH!!!.. AND START TAKING THINGS APART!... FIX YOUR ISSUES.. AND STOP WASTING DAMN MONEYS !!!

HAVE YOU EVEN BOTHERED TO TAKE THE INTAKE ALL APART AND DO A THOROUGH EGR-TUNE-UP ON IT?

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR YOURSELVES ... BESIDES RUN OFF OVER AND OVER TO ... "THEY!" ?????

HAVE YOU Invested in AN ADAPTER AND INSITE SOFTWARE FOR A FEW HUNDRED BUCKS, and a laptop to work on the engine with?...

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?... BECAUSE "THEY" are not going to fix issues like this... they are not trained to!.

-=== do you see my point yet? ... -== I am trying to make it as clear as possible.. yet again... THAT YOU!.. THE TRUCK OWNER!.. IS THE ONLY ONE AT THE END OF THEY DAY who has to work on issues like this for yourselves, because "they" are not trained to take all the intake apart and clean it out.

doing THOSE THINGS (egr tune-up, cac and other minor to medium maintenance, work, checks, etc.) that keep problems like you describe at bay to begin with. It is just like all the doctors telling you to eat as much damn sugar, starch, potatoes, and noodles as you want to.. so that later on they can sell you (or your insurance company) that expensive heart surgery when your heart clogs up!.

====

back on the actual issue that you described ...

The issue with it not getting to temp and cancelling is likely a safety issue. if thas ecm detect the fuel is not burning.. it will cancel instead of letting it pool up in the DPF unit where it could potentially burn the truck to the ground. It is likely doing its job correctly. -= What you have to do is find out why it is not staying at operating temp during a regen cycle.

START BY DOING A THOROUGH EGR SYSTEM TUNE-UP ON IT!!>.. AND REPLACE THE IMAP + OTHER OLD EGR AND INTAKE SENSORS!!>.
here is some more info on this...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=7&pid=9#pid9

Things like taking apart all of the EGR piping and clean it all out. Repling the Doser injector + doing engine and exhaust system pressure/leak tests.. Checking the intake and CAC for leaks... etc.etc.etc.etc... <-- all the things that "they" are not going to do because they could not be bothered with it!>

START by verifying 100% that there are no intake, CAC, or exhaust leaks at all. CLEAN OUT that circuit thru the thermostat housing for the exhaust back-pressure sensor...

And if you think the Ambient temp sensor is bad.. then unplug it and see what faults you get.. replace it and see if it starts working.. etc.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: mxmom777 , Bengy88
02-14-2023, (Subject: Help! Cummins Isx CM871 Programming ) 
For the amount you have spent already you could have drove it down here to Rawze, me or Hag and had it fixed properly without an inframe
Just saying
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.