Prostar to much play in the steering wheel
09-14-2016, (Subject: Prostar to much play in the steering wheel ) 
Prostar to much play in the steering wheel
Hello everyone, I have a 09 prostar, the steering feels a little to loose, the truck had the kinpins replace also had new firestone steer tires put on, a new steering shaft, also tire rods. Sometime I will pot hole and the truck feels like it wants to go its own way. I have also had the new steer tire cut"tuning" to make them even. I still get like a jumpy feeling on the right side. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem. I forgot to mention also had the yoks replace on steering shaft.

User's Signature: I stand on a square, I am always seeking light... Just old traveling man lost in the wilderness my compass is pointing me to the East!!!!
replyreply
RE: Prostar to much play in the steering wheel
First things first, quit hitting pot holes! I know when I do, my steering flakes like yours... But...

Did you replace the entire steering shaft, or rebuild it with some new parts? Everything I have heard is to replace the entire steering shaft with a new part, here is the part number 3825664C91 for the new OEM steering shaft. I just purchased one, found a new in the box on eBay for $250... If any of you are in the market for one of these shop around. And they do go bad, so if you are up there in mileage and are going to keep the truck... You know the rest.

Did you check your front spring shackle bushings? I believe you must drop the front springs to really inspect properly, there was a very good post here a few days ago regarding those Shackle/Spring bushings.

Then we have your steering box, has that been inspected? That will give you that exact feeling at times when they are failing.

Then we have the u-joints in your interior steering column. Those can get flaky too, rare, but it does happen. You can pull the plastic and the big rubber boot to inspect.

Another place to check that could give you that wandering feeling are the rear suspension pin bushings. They do fail, and are located where your rear suspension springs attach to the frame. You will see the bolts. If the rubber is mushy looking in those bushings and you are starting to see uneven tire wear, those will need to be replaced. If they are bad, the u-bolts that hold the axles to the frame will need to be replaced also, they are one time use, that is per International. New ones are outrageous at the dealer, I had mine custom made for much less at a frame shop.

Also, when you grease your front end, which I would recommend you yourself do, especially those king pins, get the steer tires off the ground to grease the king pins. If you do not like greasing, get one of these https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCGG571M1-...grease+gun

That is just off the top of my head. I would start with the suspension bushings, front and rear. Then the steering box. Also, when was the last time you changed your power steering fluid and the power steering pump filter? You should do that too if you have not, most people do not have a clue about that filter, I didn't. Wound up replacing the pump, $340...

Hope this helps.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
Sounds almost to me like you are describing a caster alignment issue where the steering floats in an unstable manner instead of centering itself like it should.

I would have someone check the springs for weakness, and angle of the caster alignment as well.

For most trucks, you need 4 degrees caster on the drivers side, and 6 degrees on the passenger side (for crown in the road). If you have air suspension front end, then you need 6 and 8 degrees instead.

For abut $30 or so, You can use this device to easily measure it, along with camber, etc. on your truck. It does not take a bunch of expensive professional alignment equipment just to see if something is out of whack.

./uploads/201609/post_2_1473852087_431189afb161a769e97061b593eb426d.jpg
https://amzn.com/B00T6YZ0K6

Here is some reference reading...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid16060
and from eaton...
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcServi...dID=476708

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(09-14-2016 )rgreen Wrote:  Hello everyone, I have a 09 prostar, the steering feels a little to loose, the truck had the kinpins replace also had new firestone steer tires put on, a new steering shaft, also tire rods. Sometime I will pot hole and the truck feels like it wants to go its own way. I have also had the new steer tire cut"tuning" to make them even. I still get like a jumpy feeling on the right side. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem. I forgot to mention also had the yoks replace on steering shaft.

What was the backlash in the tie-rods and king pins before replacement? -- Did they even bother to check it?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
09-15-2016, (Subject: Prostar to much play in the steering wheel ) 
(09-14-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(09-14-2016 )rgreen Wrote:  Hello everyone, I have a 09 prostar, the steering feels a little to loose, the truck had the kinpins replace also had new firestone steer tires put on, a new steering shaft, also tire rods. Sometime I will pot hole and the truck feels like it wants to go its own way. I have also had the new steer tire cut"tuning" to make them even. I still get like a jumpy feeling on the right side. Can anyone tell me what might be the problem. I forgot to mention also had the yoks replace on steering shaft.

What was the backlash in the tie-rods and king pins before replacement? -- Did they even bother to check it?

No they didn't even check.... I even ask them to replace the bearings but I was told that they where good. After a week out of the shop the inner seal went bad.... I have invested so much in the truck. I also have a problem with the a/c the back blows cold the front don't I replace the 2 thermistors even 2 accumulator. I brought the truck of ebay from a leasing company that was selling the truck someone already did a DPF delete I don't want to take into international I don't want to get in trouble for something I didn't do. I brought the software to scan the truck. I am just lost

User's Signature: I stand on a square, I am always seeking light... Just old traveling man lost in the wilderness my compass is pointing me to the East!!!!
replyreply
(09-15-2016 )rgreen Wrote:  No they didn't even check.... I even ask them to replace the bearings but I was told that they where good.

Sounds typical,... guess at it, replace parts, then guess at it some more. THERE ARE CORRECT PROCEDURES TO CHECK/SET THE ALIGNEMNT PROPERLY!!@! --- I would have been asking some serious questions about tolerances if someone told me my alignment was bad. If they knew the correct answers, and had used the proper procedures,.. then ok,.. but MOST OF THE TIME-- You get some MORON that does not even own a dial indicator or know the correct specs that is too happy to pull things apart and take your money instead.

(09-15-2016 )rgreen Wrote:  After a week out of the shop the inner seal went bad.... I have invested so much in the truck.

That is likely because you let a bunch of MORONS work on it, who didn't follow all the proper procedures, or clean the components properly when re-assembling them!. I see it over and over.

(09-15-2016 )rgreen Wrote:  I also have a problem with the a/c the back blows cold the front don't I replace the 2 thermistors even 2 accumulator. I brought the truck of ebay from a leasing company that was selling the truck someone ...

As far a sthe A/C goes, It could be the front expansion valve, or a blend door that is letting hot air mix with cold air.

(09-15-2016 )rgreen Wrote:  already did a DPF delete I don't want to take into international I don't want to get in trouble for something I didn't do. I brought the software to scan the truck. I am just lost

As far as the truck goes, Your problems may be much worse than you think. there are so many people doing bad deletes out there that destroy engines that it is not funny. You need to seriously get it checked out before you are facing a destroyed engine or head gasket.

Does it even have Pyro and boost gauges installed in it so that you can monitor how the engine is running?

Here is some info on how bad 95% of places that do that kind of tuning really are...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...01#pid5901

You need to have the programming looked at ASAP! -- ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON'T HAVE BOOST AND PYRO GAUGES INSTALLED IN THAT TRUCK!

==============

You blame a lot of your problems on the vehicle,.. etc.. but you should also be looking in the mirror real hard about taking the correct steps towards getting on top of your problems, educating yourself, and learning what it actually takes to own a truck successfully these days. --- I.E. -- you can't just run off to other places every time you have trouble, then expect not to get burned by it. There is more bad than good out here, and more crooks that are completely clueless about correct procedure and proper repair methods out here than most people realize. This puts the truck owner in a position to educate themselves so that they do not waste money all the damn time chasing problems the wrong way. Last i checked, the freight didn't pay well enough for allowing ignorant mechanics to make mistakes and take shortcut methods,... I say read, read, read, grab a wrench when you can,.. and when you have to rely on others for help and repairs,..... ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS AND LEARN THE PROCEDURES BEFORE HAVING IT DONE!-- At least you will know if things are being done right, or if you need to go the other way and find someone else.

replyreply
One thing I have learned on my ProStar, 2008, that when one part of an area or system goes bad, you are best to replace it all. As soon as I have added something new to a system, the rest of it fails in short order. The AC is one of those systems. Only use OEM parts, the aftermarket stuff out here will fit, but it is not to the same specs as the OEM stuff, trust me on that.

And like Rawze said, get a Pyro on there ASAP and a Turbo Boost gauge if the truck does not have one. Honestly, I would park it until you are able to get into the ECM and do an MM. Then you can safely diagnose the rest of the motor. I hope they left the turbo alone, and the EGR cooler, those are not cheap to replace. The head... I feel for you man, this sounds ugly.

As far as taking it to the dealer... Get the MM on her and get it running correctly. My local dealer has no issues with my MM and have just recently did an in frame plus on the truck with a warranty. When I showed them what was done, and that all of the parts are still there and functioning, they had no issues at all doing the work, warrantying it and taking my money. But, they have had other trucks in there with bad mandate removals, those they will not touch, even though the law says they must. They have had trucks with holes drilled through the blocks and all sorts of other weird stuff, and I cannot blame them from not wanting them in their shop.
replyreply
No I don't have BOOST AND PYRO GAUGES installed where can I buy them??? Do you know someone that can look at the software on the truck by remote, I have everything to hook to the truck, I have the cables and software I will also take pics today of what they did off the engine... I also I would to thank everyone for responding back to me. Thank you Thank you!!!!

replyreply
09-16-2016, (Subject: Prostar to much play in the steering wheel ) 
(09-15-2016 )rgreen Wrote:  No I don't have BOOST AND PYRO GAUGES installed where can I buy them??? Do you know someone that can look at the software on the truck by remote, I have everything to hook to the truck, I have the cables and software I will also take pics today of what they did off the engine... I also I would to thank everyone for responding back to me. Thank you Thank you!!!!

I think Unilevers and/or Gearhead do remote tuning, though I would not ever suggest to have it done that way myself. Too many variables and unanswered questions that way, and a good custom tuner goes by as much info by test driving and inspecting things thoroughly, as they do on what is going on inside the computer. -- I.E. It is impossible to really get right compared to actually working with the truck directly.

I would suggest taking to one of them, or down here to Atlanta to have it checked out the right way along with some gauges installed. You can get them off amazon for less than $200 for both if you want to install them yourself.

I PM'd you my number, for some reason when I dialed yours, it kept disconnecting me.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.