Prostar to much play in the steering wheel
09-14-2016, (Subject: Prostar to much play in the steering wheel ) 
RE: Prostar to much play in the steering wheel
First things first, quit hitting pot holes! I know when I do, my steering flakes like yours... But...

Did you replace the entire steering shaft, or rebuild it with some new parts? Everything I have heard is to replace the entire steering shaft with a new part, here is the part number 3825664C91 for the new OEM steering shaft. I just purchased one, found a new in the box on eBay for $250... If any of you are in the market for one of these shop around. And they do go bad, so if you are up there in mileage and are going to keep the truck... You know the rest.

Did you check your front spring shackle bushings? I believe you must drop the front springs to really inspect properly, there was a very good post here a few days ago regarding those Shackle/Spring bushings.

Then we have your steering box, has that been inspected? That will give you that exact feeling at times when they are failing.

Then we have the u-joints in your interior steering column. Those can get flaky too, rare, but it does happen. You can pull the plastic and the big rubber boot to inspect.

Another place to check that could give you that wandering feeling are the rear suspension pin bushings. They do fail, and are located where your rear suspension springs attach to the frame. You will see the bolts. If the rubber is mushy looking in those bushings and you are starting to see uneven tire wear, those will need to be replaced. If they are bad, the u-bolts that hold the axles to the frame will need to be replaced also, they are one time use, that is per International. New ones are outrageous at the dealer, I had mine custom made for much less at a frame shop.

Also, when you grease your front end, which I would recommend you yourself do, especially those king pins, get the steer tires off the ground to grease the king pins. If you do not like greasing, get one of these https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCGG571M1-...grease+gun

That is just off the top of my head. I would start with the suspension bushings, front and rear. Then the steering box. Also, when was the last time you changed your power steering fluid and the power steering pump filter? You should do that too if you have not, most people do not have a clue about that filter, I didn't. Wound up replacing the pump, $340...

Hope this helps.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT

Messages In This Thread
RE: Prostar to much play in the steering wheel - Waterloo - 09-14-2016

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.