2006 Cm 870 cold weather derate
02-28-2023, (Subject: 2006 Cm 870 cold weather derate ) 
2006 Cm 870 cold weather derate
Hello, everyone.
First post so here it goes.
Thank you for all the knowledge that has been posted on this site. I have a few trucks with n 14's and just bought a 06 379 with a cm 870 I believe. Tag is off the valve cover, Inline 5 should be here any day, to get the file copy off the ecm.
So I live and work the truck in Western colorado at about 6000 -9000 ft elevation. First time out in the cold about a week ago and the truck derated I believe. 900 to 1000 degrees EGT on hard climb loaded and maybe 24 psi on boost gauge.
Started searching and ran across a post talking about the cold weather derate under 35 degrees on this vintage 870. I believe someone mentioned Unilever's possibly had a fix or a way too tell this is happening at it is due to the CIT temps.
should have the inline 5 this week and hopefully I can get this loaded on a win 7 computer and get this bug out of the software.
I really appreciate everyones help in this matter.

Thank you Ron
replyreply
RE: 2006 Cm 870 cold weather derate
Is this 870 demandated?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
I’m not sure on that truck has 1.4 million on it. My guess is once I get insite, I hoping some of the knowledgeable people will be able to help me through the process of getting it back to right. Everything is still on the motor as far as I can tell. I’m hoping this our weather gets above 35 for a day or so, as I’ve only driven the truck on about 9 loads of dirt. The first five loads were hauled the day before and it was warmer. Truck had lots of power, in fact I was really excited, on how much power it had. Day 2 I hauled 4 loads and it was a lot colder and was only pulling 23-28 lbs of boost. That’s when I started looking into this.
So my guess is I have a bad get delete, or it’s derating in the cold. I guess I won’t know until it warms back up or I get the in-line 5.
I just feel good knowing that there is hope and not at the stealership!

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
03-01-2023, (Subject: 2006 Cm 870 cold weather derate ) 
Unplug the EGR temp sensor and see if you get a check engine light. If you do not, then it's demandated.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
03-03-2023, (Subject: 2006 Cm 870 cold weather derate ) 
(03-01-2023 )tree98 Wrote:  Unplug the EGR temp sensor and see if you get a check engine light. If you do not, then it's demandated.

Tree, I will give this a shot tomorrow, hoping my in-line 5 gets here tomorrow, so I can also plug in and see what is going on. Thank you, I’ll post my findings tomorrow.
replyreply
03-04-2023, (Subject: 2006 Cm 870 cold weather derate ) 
So I was able to find an old win computer and received the in-line 5 off eBay it came with insite 7.0/7.1/7.2 everything loaded it’s asking for an activation key. How would one get an activation key. Pretty new to all this
replyreply
03-04-2023, (Subject: 2006 Cm 870 cold weather derate ) 
(03-04-2023 )Ron1 Wrote:  So I was able to find an old win computer and received the in-line 5 off eBay it came with insite 7.0/7.1/7.2 everything loaded it’s asking for an activation key. How would one get an activation key. Pretty new to all this

get with the vendor that sold it to you. rawze.com is not a software trading site.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Peashooter67
03-05-2023, (Subject: 2006 Cm 870 cold weather derate ) 
Understood Rawze.

Tree 98, Its finally warmed up enough out here in Colorado to start the truck up. After letting it warm up I disconnected the EGR plug, and the "CEL" light went on. So I am assuming then that the EGR system is in tact which I am fine with, at this point.
I still haven't figured anything out with Insite as I am not very good with computers. And I don't have enough seat time in the truck to know if it is infact the cold weather bug, that was found in a few other CM 870s as described by Unilever's past post that I had found
(03-24-2018 )Unilevers Wrote:  its a little know fact that cummins later calibrations had a glitch in the 870's in extreme cold ambient. It took me awhile to sort it but if i did why the hell didnt cummins? this is still a issue in all current calibrations for 870's.

it doesnt have so much to do with ambient temp as CIT temp and the density calculations and how the Charge manager logic reacts to this by altering engine Emissions levels or CAP_EL. this in turn alters the MCF reference and boom low boost high pyro.

FIX YOUR shi#t CUMMINS!@
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid24825

I am going to have to wait until it warms up into the 50's and haul a load I guess to figure this out.
replyreply
03-06-2023, (Subject: 2006 Cm 870 cold weather derate ) 
Well it finally warmed up into the 50’s and I was able to haul a few loads of gravel at about 6000’ elevation I took two loads grossing 50,000lbs boost never went above 28-30 psi on peterbilt gauge. After hauling two loads I brought it home and cleaned the two sensor on the intake, and the other sensor on opposite side on the top in front of the lifting lug. I didn’t clean the tubes leading to it, it did not change how it ran. I going after finding the delta p sensor next, and see if that helps.

I did notice today that it’s sound like the turbo pitch changes at idle at times similar to the exhaust brake being on at idle on a 6.7 dodge vgt.

Thanks
Ron
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.