Head gasket or something else?
03-08-2023, (Subject: Head gasket or something else? ) 
Head gasket or something else?
My truck looses coolant from behind the water pump in real cold temps and when I park it I place a pan under it to catch the coolant.The last time I went to pre trip my truck the pan had about of gallon of coolant in it which was more than usual and also a leak on the ground in the backside of the motor which was new.I did some further investigating and shoved my phone on the back side of the motor and took some pics.Looks like coolant residue around the head gasket.I recently demandated it and removed the EGR but left the cooler in place but I have noticed coolant residue at the front of the cooler where the EGR used to feed in to and it comes back after cleaning it so don’t know if that’s the coolant traveling to the back of the block.Also the degas bottle looked like it had coolant on the low sight glass and I started the engine and proceeded to pour in the coolant in the pan but it pushed it out and continued to push it out until I put the cap on.Could it be that it got air in the system from losing coolant or is it something else? TIA

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: Head gasket or something else?
Here’s a video of the coolant puking
https://imgur.com/a/3Tn13J0

This was yesterday.Going to see what it does today.
replyreply
Is that coolant coming out after it’s a full operating temp?

No? Wait till it’s at full operating temp or you’ll get a false positive.
Yes? It could be your air compressor or egr cooler. If head gasket pressurizing the cooling system you will get a steady steam of bubbles out the filler hole also while it’s running.
If you over fill it then start it while the coolant is heating up it’s expanding and that will cause the false positives on head gasket.

To test if it’s air compressor disconnect air line going to crier so the compressor doesn’t pressure up.

To check egr cooler disconnect from manifold see if it quits pushing out coolant.

Therefore other ways to test this to verify your findings.

User's Signature: Have you checked your muffler bearings today?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1
That’s what the EGR cooler looks like.I think I’m going to take it off completely.Does removing it on an 870 also stop flow to the last two cylinders ?

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
No Redland on the 870 you can safely remove it. You'll have 2 holes in the block that will need to be plugged with freeze plugs.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1 , marek4792
03-09-2023, (Subject: Head gasket or something else? ) 
(03-08-2023 )tree98 Wrote:  No Redland on the 870 you can safely remove it. You'll have 2 holes in the block that will need to be plugged with freeze plugs.

Would someone confirm this? What makes an 870 any different than the other series of blocks regarding proper coolant flow?

User's Signature: That’s pronounced, /ˈs(k)izəm/
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
(03-09-2023 )schISM Wrote:  
(03-08-2023 )tree98 Wrote:  No Redland on the 870 you can safely remove it. You'll have 2 holes in the block that will need to be plugged with freeze plugs.

Would someone confirm this? What makes an 870 any different than the other series of blocks regarding proper coolant flow?

I know your looking for a response from someone else but...............They are indeed totally different. The 870 doesn't use the egr cooler as a pipe to get coolant to the back cylinder's. Instead it has 2 holes in the block right below #2 and a tube from the thermostat housing for coolant in and out of the egr cooler.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(03-09-2023 )tree98 Wrote:  

I know your looking for a response from someone else but...............They are indeed totally different.

Looking for an explanation...............Thank you.

User's Signature: That’s pronounced, /ˈs(k)izəm/
replyreply

That’s what I have and yes you can take it off. The cm570/571/870 are the same block except for the 870 having the cooling passages for the egr.

It’s the 871 that requires special consideration when removing the egr cooler and the back two pistons/cylinder cooling. You will need I think three brass plugs maybe two but for some reason I’m thinking three. Two on the side of the block and one one the t-stat housing. Three different sizes.

User's Signature: Have you checked your muffler bearings today?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.