Demandated Update
07-12-2021, (Subject: Demandated Update ) 
Demandated Update
Thought I'd give a short update on my deleted @m*m^2.

2014 Pete 388; ISX15 2350
OD: 673,000
OD @ Demandate: 581,000

I included a picture of my oil at last change yesterday, it had 12,209 miles on it. Yes I know a picture doesn't tell much other than what it shows, but considering how BLACK that oil used to be prior too the demandate vs. how it is today, I think it shows a lot.

Would I do it again? Oh yes I would. Admittedly it wasn't easy on my truck due to being a car hauler I sit low and getting under my truck is not an easy process to begin with. Manhandling those heavy cans by myself was rough, getting them gutted and reinstalled wasn't easy, but it was worth it. I have had virtually no issues with this truck since and pray to God it stays that way.

I had to learn to drive very differently after the delete than before. I had to learn how to keep one eye on my boost gauge and one on the road. I had to get used to running much higher RPM's than I ever ran previously, but yes, I'd do it again. I was dropping over $20k/year on that emissions system trying to keep it running and that alone has been worth it, but I also know my engine is healthier too. And thank you to everyone here that assisted me in that process.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Pd6cas2 , amermextrucker , tree98 , hookliftpete , PuroCumminsPower , JimT , earnies2 , SquareOne
07-12-2021, (Subject: Demandated Update ) 
RE: Demandated Update
That's awesome , best decision I ever made with this engine ( CM2350) as well.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod , Waterloo
07-17-2021, (Subject: Demandated Update ) 
Pretty much the same story with my 2012 pete cm2250. Never spent nearly as much, but was probably ready to completely replace the entire system. I'd do it again too. Although with a new or future truck I'd probably run with the system intact until it started giving me problems, with a bypass oil filter and regular EGR tuneups along with ECM tuning to prevent getting stranded roadside. I like the cleaner exhaust from these properly functioning systems, but the costs as the systems age and fail are just ridiculous.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo , amermextrucker , Beardedtrucker
07-17-2021, (Subject: Demandated Update ) 
Guys can’t believe how clean the oil stays. It’s always a pleasure pulling that dipstick and seeing gold . When I demandated my 2350 I had no idea what I was getting into but have now spent countless hours researching the inner workings of the engine and learning the programs and software . After a few mistakes I have got my isx working well. I am by far a better mechanic and driver because of it. I find myself applying all this knowledge to any diesel motor I use and work on, it just makes sense if you want your machinery to hold up and be reliable day in and day out.

User's Signature: 2015 389 Peterbilt. ISX 550 18speed 3.70 gears
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , hookliftpete
07-29-2021, (Subject: Demandated Update ) 
(07-12-2021 )kozakvod Wrote:  Thought I'd give a short update on my deleted @m*m^2.

I included a picture of my oil at last change yesterday, it had 12,209 miles on it. Yes I know a picture doesn't tell much other than what it shows, but considering how BLACK that oil used to be prior too the demandate vs. how it is today, I think it shows a lot.

Would I do it again? Oh yes I would. Admittedly it wasn't easy on my truck due to being a car hauler I sit low and getting under my truck is not an easy process to begin with. Manhandling those heavy cans by myself was rough, getting them gutted and reinstalled wasn't easy, but it was worth it. I have had virtually no issues with this truck since and pray to God it stays that way.

I had to learn to drive very differently after the delete than before. I had to learn how to keep one eye on my boost gauge and one on the road. I had to get used to running much higher RPM's than I ever ran previously, but yes, I'd do it again. I was dropping over $20k/year on that emissions system trying to keep it running and that alone has been worth it, but I also know my engine is healthier too. And thank you to everyone here that assisted me in that process.
How do you drive differently now than before, and what is your fuel millage compared to before
replyreply
05-04-2023, (Subject: Demandated Update ) 
(07-29-2021 )earnies2 Wrote:  
(07-12-2021 )kozakvod Wrote:  Thought I'd give a short update on my deleted @m*m^2.

How do you drive differently now than before, and what is your fuel millage compared to before

As I was going back through some older postings I saw this question and even though we're going on nearly 2 years later I thought it'd be worth the update:

First, I did get my low end done back the beginning of January at just shy of 800k, oil pressure went up from generally 35-37psi to 39-41psi or so. The engine was demandated in April of 2020 at 581k; Fuel pump tappets, etc. were replaced at the 581k mark as well.

You asked "how do I drive differently?" The deletion pretty much required it. No longer could I run in 13th gear loaded at 1500. Now it was all about making sure I keep my boost below 30, and that is the high number for me. I know Rawze as said it can be up to 32, but I get real nervous even approaching 30 now. I NEVER run in 13th gear anymore. I am constantly between 11th and 12th now. I keep my RPM's above 1700 as much as possible and generally closer to 1800 and 1900. In doing so it keeps my boost down and my MPG's more tolerable. Oh, and my speed now is really never much above 61 or 62 loaded or empty.

About the MPG, it's important to note that I am NOT in an aerodynamic truck. I am a car hauler in a 2014 388 Pete with a 3 car rack and 6 car trailer. Generally I have an SUV backed on overhead so I'm ALWAYS pushing air with the flat nose of the Pete and with the back of that SUV. Before the delete I was always in and around 4.9 mpg. My dedicated route is N. Texas to Colorado Springs, 600' elevation to 6000' over 700 miles generally loaded to 80k+ and the winds in west Texas are ALWAYS on gale force. After the delete, 5.1 is about it. I didn't do the delete for the hopes of better MPG. Mine sucks regardless. I did get a bit of a bump, but I'll tell you right now, the thing I do that helps the most is CHANGING THE AIR FILTERS. I can notice an immediate change in engine happiness when I put new filters in, I'm a big fan.

So the biggest change. Driving habits! That's it. I do NOT strain my engine. I don't ask it to do things that are going to be harmful to it's life. I change my oil CONSISTENTLY every 12k to 14k. My oil is just as clean today as it was the day after the delete, 250k miles ago. And maybe I baby it more than I need I don't know, but I know this...I just got this thing paid for last November so I want to enjoy the fruits of that for as long as I can and I hope it's for a very long time to come.
replyreply
(05-04-2023 )kozakvod Wrote:  ...
NOT in an aerodynamic truck. I am a car hauler in a 2014 388 Pete with a 3 car rack and 6 car trailer. Generally I have an SUV backed on overhead so I'm ALWAYS pushing air
After the delete, 5.1 is about it. I didn't do the delete for the hopes of better MPG. Mine sucks regardless.
... biggest change. Driving habits!

On a business sense .. It makes me wonder what is more profitable in car hauling. I don;t think that very many people who haul cars think about this on a business and long term profit standpoint, , so I am putting it out there...

I know guys who use an Aero truck high-rise and use a car hauler trailer. They typically haul 2 less cars that way.. but they also can see about 7 - 7.5 mpg at those speeds and driving habits that you are describing + everything set up for fuel mileage.

SO it begs the question.. 5 mpg and 2 more cars on the deck?.. or 7mpg and 2 less cars on the deck. - That is a is a big difference.. and I cannot see personally, how 2 more cars is going to make up for $30,000 more in higher fuel costs alone in a single year, nonetheless year after year + all the extra wear and maintenance, when you add it all up.

A car hauler that can haul 2 more cars .. does it really earn $35,000 or $40,000 more in a single year in net profits after fuel, and all other expenses .. to justify the extra $30k+ in fuel costs above a car hauler that simply hauls 2 less cars?. - I find it highly doubtful for a lot of applications. It would also allow someone to drop their rates, making deliveries of 2 less cars at a time more appealing to the customers too... while still making a higher profit.

In all reality, it seems to me anyways, that if i were looking into hauling cars, it would just not be worth a buying into a $200,000 car-hauler only specialty truck, its high payments, etc.. all that lower fuel mileage, all the higher maint. costs, etc... square nose brick with a tiny little sleeper, etc. just to be able to load 2 or maybe 3 more cars, except for some kind of high dollar specialty purposes.

- Just wondering what others think about this thought... or am I not even close?. One unanswered question would be net profit margin (the amount of net profit that you had to actually pay taxes on) vs. how many cars hauled in a year ... then looking at the net profit per car.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy , ktblogistics
(05-04-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  ...
On a business sense .. It makes me wonder what is more profitable in car hauling....

Mornin' Rawze! Honestly, I don't disagree with you and couldn't even if I wanted too or tried too.

That said, the guys that I haul for never buy the same type of vehicles. They're always big and bulky. That high mount trailer that you speak about will offer benefits along the lines you described, BUT and here's the big but...When I take a trailer like that and then try and load it with the type of vehicles these guys buy it wouldn't be a lost of a couple of vehicles. I have the rig I have because of the versatility. I can do more with it, load sizes and configurations that a typical high-mount trailer will never do.

The old business of hauling cars has changed a lot over the years. Vehicles are larger and heavier. The high-mounts have a MASSIVE problem in getting over weight real fast so there's always a limit to their abilities. If a person was hauling ONLY cars and small to mid size suv's your scenario becomes HUGE, but when you start adding full size SUV's, Lifted Trucks, 1-ton trucks, etc. the high-mount becomes more of a problem than an asset. Most buyers will not pay a load rate for 7 or 8 units when you're only able to stack on 5 and some times only 4 because the trailer axles get over weight in the blink of an eye, OR the vehicles are so tall that you can't put anything underneath so you end up rolling with 3.

I know I give up monies in MPG, but I also keep my customer happy by getting their buys to them quickly and they keep me loaded, now going on my 4th years with these guys. I could get better MPG, but there's a lose in a different way, so as a car hauler it's a matter of which end of the bullet do I bite. This market is REALLY bad right now and I am one of not so many O/O doing what I do that have consistent and steady work. Just taking the good with the bad.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , ktblogistics

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.