Unexpected EGR pressure
03-18-2023, (Subject: Unexpected EGR pressure ) 
Unexpected EGR pressure
Rusty water from the EGR sprayed out around the valve. I’m not surprised at moisture being in there. There’s just no reason for there to be any pressure causing it to spray out. I’ve since cleaned it all up, and the inside of EGR had rusty gunk, but not full. Just can’t understand where the pressure came from.       
replyreply
03-18-2023, (Subject: Unexpected EGR pressure ) 
RE: Unexpected EGR pressure
(03-18-2023 )Mrkentee Wrote:  Rusty water from the EGR sprayed out around the valve. I’m not surprised at moisture being in there. There’s just no reason for there to be any pressure causing it to spray out. I’ve since cleaned it all up, and the inside of EGR had rusty gunk, but not full. Just can’t understand where the pressure came from.

Is your truck demandated? If so then it’s because your egr cooler wasn’t capped completely off and it finally blew. If it isn’t demandated then it’s most likely because your egr cooler is leaking. Exhaust=pressure
Hot coolant=pressure as well
Both of these will cause coolant to spray. Not to mention now you know that the gasket at that pipe is also leaking.
replyreply
03-19-2023, (Subject: Unexpected EGR pressure ) 
(03-18-2023 )Bengy88 Wrote:  
(03-18-2023 )Mrkentee Wrote:  Rusty water from the EGR sprayed out around the valve. I’m not surprised at moisture being in there. There’s just no reason for there to be any pressure causing it to spray out. I’ve since cleaned it all up, and the inside of EGR had rusty gunk, but not full. Just can’t understand where the pressure came from.

Is your truck demandated? If so then it’s because your egr cooler wasn’t capped completely off and it finally blew. If it isn’t demandated then it’s most likely because your egr cooler is leaking. Exhaust=pressure
Hot coolant=pressure as well
Both of these will cause coolant to spray. Not to mention now you know that the gasket at that pipe is also leaking.

It’s demandated, and has a disc between exhaust manifold and EGR cooler, and is also blocked in the venturi tube. It’s not blocked between EGR cooler and flexible pipe. I just checked all that and there’s no leakage, or exhaust flow.
It it were intact, I wouldn’t expect too much moisture in the EGR, it should be dry.
replyreply
(03-19-2023 )Mrkentee Wrote:  ...
It’s demandated, and has a disc between exhaust manifold and EGR cooler, and is also blocked in the venturi tube. It’s not blocked between EGR cooler and flexible pipe. I just checked all that and there’s no leakage, or exhaust flow.
It it were intact, I wouldn’t expect too much moisture in the EGR, it should be dry.

you just stated your issue in this post... you have a dead circuit blocked off at both ends .. that cannot breathe, or relieve any pressure when it heats when the air inside it expands. That is why it had some pressure behind it.

- BTW: The pipe connection (in that photo) at the top of the EGR valve there is notorious for going bad, rusting out, etc. It also causes mysterious fuel mileage losses on CM871's that are NOT de-mandated. It also is a place that commonly collects moisture and condensation .. so it might not be your EGR cooler leaking at all that cause the eventual water buildup.

The EGR valve itself on CM871's sits in a low spot on the engine EGR piping and is subject to all sorts of condensation issues. On non-deleted trucks, it contributes towards its untimely demise, it rusting out, etc.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee , Bengy88
(03-19-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  
(03-19-2023 )Mrkentee Wrote:  ...

you just stated your issue in this post... you have a dead circuit blocked off at both ends .. that cannot breathe, or relieve any pressure when it heats when the air inside it expands. That is why it had some pressure behind it.

- BTW: The pipe connection (in that photo) at the top of the EGR valve there is notorious for going bad, rusting out, etc. It also causes mysterious fuel mileage losses on CM871's that are NOT de-mandated. It also is a place that commonly collects moisture and condensation .. so it might not be your EGR cooler leaking at all that cause the eventual water buildup.

The EGR valve itself on CM871's sits in a low spot on the engine EGR piping and is subject to all sorts of condensation issues. On non-deleted trucks, it contributes towards its untimely demise, it rusting out, etc.

Thanks. That makes sense.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.