Turbo clamp soot
03-24-2023, (Subject: Turbo clamp soot ) 
Turbo clamp soot
Installed this Yaya reman turbo 6 months ago. Been noticing soot around the clamp between the two sections lately. Tightened clamp a couple times, which was a little loose.
Contacted the shop I bought it from, and this is what they told me.

>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
“Hi, I keep getting soot in this area. I've tightened that clamp 3 times.
What is the problem?”
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There are a few different things that can make that happen.

It could be that the clamp is not applying the required pressure to keep it sealed (most uncommon issue).

It could also be that the back pressure when engine brake is applied is too high due to egr delete, We have seen that happening on trucks that have been deleted and on trucks with bad ecm turning too.

It could also be a restricted exhaust flow (restricted DPF or exhaust system) can lead to an exhaust leak in between the bearing housing and turbine housing.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

“My tune is good. The other turbo never did this. The clamp has been loose both times I checked it.
Of, course I don't want to break it. But I tightened it pretty snug.”

>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>

Should I be concerned??

replyreply
RE: Turbo clamp soot
Mine requires an 11mm deep well socket to tighten it. -=- 95 in-lbs. is max torque allowed on mine (500-series VGT).

Maybe tighten it to 90 in-lbs.. smack the clamp around it, best you can, a few times with a hammer and a soft brass bar or something ... then re-torque it back to 90 ~ but no mroe than 95 in-lbs.

Make sure you use an accurate in-lbs (not ft-lbs) torque wrench if you set it at 95.

What little bit it appears in the photos so far is likely no big deal though.. unless it starts getting really sooty.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee
RE: Turbo clamp soot
(03-24-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  Mine requires an 11mm deep well socket to tighten it. -=- 95 in-lbs. is max torque allowed on mine (500-series VGT).

Maybe tighten it to 90 in-lbs.. smack the clamp around it, best you can, a few times with a hammer and a soft brass bar or something ... then re-torque it back to 90 ~ but no mroe than 95 in-lbs.

Make sure you use an accurate in-lbs (not ft-lbs) torque wrench if you set it at 95.

What little bit it appears in the photos so far is likely no big deal though.. unless it starts getting really sooty.

Ok, I’ll do that. Thanks. I might rotate it to get at it easier.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.