Edison Motors Vocational Hybrid
10-22-2023, (Subject: Edison Motors Vocational Hybrid ) 
Edison Motors Vocational Hybrid
Been watching these guys on and off for a while. They started out putting a used Tesla motor in an old KW log truck and have got to here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGN7rjZGjMQ&t=33s They are probably nuts but it is nice to see some young guys with some enthusiasm and not in the basement on a video game all day. There might be a niche for them. Last I looked CAT has two E Dozers plus their ore trucks using similiar technology. Locomotives also.

{added by Rawze}...

replyreply
10-22-2023, (Subject: Edison Motors Vocational Hybrid ) 
RE: Edison Motors Vocational Hybrid
That is pretty cool in theory but as they found out it doesn’t take much power to roll on flat ground. I would love to see how many KW on an 8% grade, and how long their batteries would last..

The biggest problem I see with electric vehicles is going to be the strain on the grid, and how they will produce the massive amounts of power to the grid when everyone is forced to have electrics.. in the end it will probably be as big of a carbon footprint or more in my opinion. A sketchy power grid will force anyone who can afford it to have a standby generator at their home which will still be burning fossil fuel if some kind.

It will also hike the price of electricity to the point where the average family may not be able to afford it..

I agree cool to see two kids actually doing something other then surfing the web or watching TV.. but I think there are many more viable options for clean vehicles then electric.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
10-23-2023, (Subject: Edison Motors Vocational Hybrid ) 
(10-22-2023 )JMBT Wrote:  That is pretty cool in theory but as they found out it doesn’t take much power to roll on flat ground. I would love to see how many KW on an 8% grade, and how long their batteries would last..

The biggest problem I see with electric vehicles is going to be the strain on the grid, and how they will produce the massive amounts of power to the grid when everyone is forced to have electrics.. in the end it will probably be as big of a carbon footprint or more in my opinion. A sketchy power grid will force anyone who can afford it to have a standby generator at their home which will still be burning fossil fuel if some kind.

It will also hike the price of electricity to the point where the average family may not be able to afford it..

I agree cool to see two kids actually doing something other then surfing the web or watching TV.. but I think there are many more viable options for clean vehicles then electric.

I'm actually a bit surprised it's coming out of BC. We have the rocky mountains here and some very punishing hills.

I own an EV, a Nissan Leaf. I average about 17kWh/100km. I drive the car pretty hard, so does the wife. That can be pretty easily brought down to 15 or 16. The energy it takes to bake a loaf of bread in an electric oven is equivalent to driving about 15km. The charging for the car fades into the background compared to many of the other transient loads.

The bigger concern to me is the push to force everyone onto electric heat, that's where the real waste is. That's what's going to overload the grid. The most expensive electric days are the ones with long showers and lots of laundry. EVs will certainly add to that, no doubt.

In terms of pulling weight on a hill with an EV, yeah, uhh... that's nearly an insurmountable problem. The trucks will be over weight in copper alone just to supply the motors to climb something like the rockies.

I think a true hybrid electric drive could do really well though. Pair a fuel efficient engine, with a helper motor between the transmission and the rear drive and use the electrics to smooth out the transient events and keep the energy draw from the diesel engine more consistent.

I think the concept is novel, but needs more thought. Anyone suggesting evs can replace internal combustion engines anytime in the near future is either a communist or retarded.

Diesel : ~12kWh/kg ( @ 30% efficiency, that's still 3.6kWh/kg )
LiIon: ~0.06kWh/kg
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , Toolguy
10-24-2023, (Subject: Edison Motors Vocational Hybrid ) 
(10-23-2023 )navycuda Wrote:  ...In terms of pulling weight on a hill with an EV, yeah, uhh... that's nearly an insurmountable problem. The trucks will be over weight in copper alone just to supply the motors to climb something like the rockies...

Speaking of weight, I wonder what the 'overage' exemption will be to compensate for the weight of full electric? I haven't done much research on Tesla's new truck (or any other for that matter), but I'd imagine the weight is up there in order to get the claimed ranges. Battery capacity along with that electric power certainly comes at a price - weight.

- I'm sure the DOT/FHA will have some sort of excess weight allotment to help assist with the semi-truck electric push. Much like the APU additional weight 'ACT' that is currently in place.
replyreply
10-24-2023, (Subject: Edison Motors Vocational Hybrid ) 
Another question will be how are they charged road tax, normally paid when we buy fuel?

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
10-25-2023, (Subject: Edison Motors Vocational Hybrid ) 
(10-24-2023 )JMBT Wrote:  Another question will be how are they charged road tax, normally paid when we buy fuel?

Thats a damn good question...hadn't even crossed my mind! Guess a per KW hour charge will be soon implemented similar to how IFTA divides up the fuel taxes...
replyreply
10-25-2023, (Subject: Edison Motors Vocational Hybrid ) 
(10-25-2023 )SquareOne Wrote:  
(10-24-2023 )JMBT Wrote:  Another question will be how are they charged road tax, normally paid when we buy fuel?

Thats a damn good question...hadn't even crossed my mind! Guess a per KW hour charge will be soon implemented similar to how IFTA divides up the fuel taxes...

Gov is requiring all vehicles to have GPS tracking and a system to get to the collected data in all vehicles (speculation), I think I read an article on it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
10-26-2023, (Subject: Edison Motors Vocational Hybrid ) 
(10-25-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  
(10-25-2023 )SquareOne Wrote:  

Gov is requiring all vehicles to have GPS tracking and a system to get to the collected data in all vehicles (speculation), I think I read an article on it.

When the NDP goverment got in here, they had started talking about doing a per kilometer road tax. Due to the way the lower mainland, and really, all of bc is setup the average person has massive commutes. Ours was 200km a day. They public pushback against it was massive and it quietly went away. I'm sure they'll try again. They're the ones that brought in air care and got kicked out of office for it... and a number of other questionable activities.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.