series 60 boost
04-14-2023, (Subject: series 60 boost ) 
series 60 boost
Hey fellas, so this is my first go on the forum stuff. Ive got this 07 Freightliner with a DD13 in it. one of the guys in the shop did a head gasket job on it per customers request. Since then he has been back claiming everything under the sun is wrong with the rig "ever since" the head gasket job. The latest is a boost problem. If you stand on the throttle in high gear the boost will come up to about 29-30 psi and then even though you dont lift your foot the boost will drop off to about 10 psi and build back up to 30. Otherwise truck runs great. I checked all the clamps and couldn't find any leaks. Not sure where to look next. Any help would be great. Thanks!
replyreply
RE: series 60 boost
Not sure 30 is normal but shouldnt drop like that,
Could be a fueling issue
Where the injectors replaced when the head was reinstalled?

User's Signature: Repairing Demandates 1 Truck At A Time
replyreply
(04-14-2023 )RollinCoal Wrote:  Not sure 30 is normal but shouldnt drop like that,
Could be a fueling issue

injectors not replaced. did replaced the seals and the fuel check valve on the back of the head too, because ever since it started hard after the job.
replyreply
04-15-2023, (Subject: series 60 boost ) 
Post is a little confusing, "series 60 boost" but then you mention DD13?

- If this truck has any sort of tune I would start with that file possibly causing your issues.
- If it has a V-POD I would check that component or if it has the wastegate valve like the DD engines have.

Just some suggestions to look into.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
04-15-2023, (Subject: series 60 boost ) 
Yea it stumped me at first too. I just stayed out of it. A 60 series can boost up to 44ish psi and an egr 60 series idles with 4-5 psi.

If it is in fact a dd13 though I would like to know if it’s deleted, is the egr deleted, has the egr pipes been blocked, does it have a wastegated or non wastegated turbo?

If it is deleted and the egr has been deleted I can guarantee you it’s a bad tune in it. A dd engine works good just making changes to the acm and turning off a few sensors in dddl but leaving egr active. You are guaranteed to break turbo shafts and cause internal engine damage if the egr has been deleted. There have been 2 people that I know of that have ever been able to tune these to last with egr deleted.

If it hasn’t been deleted the very first place you need to look is the egr valve. These give a lot of problems allowing boost to bypass from the egr valve. Then pull your intake pipe and exhaust pipe from the turbo and verify the turbo shaft isn’t broken. I’ve seen this a lot specifically on the 13 liters…… or you could jack it up and slide a Cummins under it lol.
replyreply
04-16-2023, (Subject: series 60 boost ) 
(04-14-2023 )BradKuz Wrote:  
(04-14-2023 )RollinCoal Wrote:  Not sure 30 is normal but shouldnt drop like that,
Could be a fueling issue

injectors not replaced. did replaced the seals and the fuel check valve on the back of the head too, because ever since it started hard after the job.

Also most of the time a hard start on these is the injectors. Lemme see the best way to explain it. The injector tips on a dd engine is designed with a piston in it so to speak. These engines are so hard to start after breaking the fuel system open that some people jump straight to starting fluid. Well when they do this that piston isn’t lubricated with fuel any longer and it starts to gauld over time. This also comes from spinning the engine without priming it properly. They can be primed from the compucheck fitting on the filter housing…. Or I’ve found that filling the davco and pumping the hand primer 200 times then opening the davco cap releases the vacuum and shoots the fuel into the system. Then fill the davco angain, pump 200 more times and then have someone pump the primer while you spin the engine. It usually starts fairly easy that way.

You also need to check for metal in the fuel strainer and fuel tanks. These things had shi#t fuel pumps that will take out the entire fuel system with a quickness. Anyone that has much experience has heard that $10,000 fuel pump chirp. It takes out the pump, filter housing, injectors, all lines, and fills the fuel tanks with very fine pieces of metal. It literally f#cos the entire fuel system.

Just thought I would throw that information out there. Maybe it will help you or someone else. Guess that info just states if someone does a half ass job they get half ass results.
replyreply
The orings in the check valve were torn. We replaced the orings to get him by and it fixed the staring issue but we still put a new valve in it when it came in. Thanks for all the info!
replyreply
(04-15-2023 )Bengy88 Wrote:  Yea it stumped me at first too. I just stayed out of it. A 60 series can boost up to 44ish psi and an egr 60 series idles with 4-5 psi.

If it is in fact a dd13 though I would like to know if it’s deleted, is the egr deleted, has the egr pipes been blocked, does it have a wastegated or non wastegated turbo?

If it is deleted and the egr has been deleted I can guarantee you it’s a bad tune in it. A dd engine works good just making changes to the acm and turning off a few sensors in dddl but leaving egr active. You are guaranteed to break turbo shafts and cause internal engine damage if the egr has been deleted. There have been 2 people that I know of that have ever been able to tune these to last with egr deleted.

If it hasn’t been deleted the very first place you need to look is the egr valve. These give a lot of problems allowing boost to bypass from the egr valve. Then pull your intake pipe and exhaust pipe from the turbo and verify the turbo shaft isn’t broken. I’ve seen this a lot specifically on the 13 liters…… or you could jack it up and slide a Cummins under it lol.

So this is where my inexperience shines. It looks like series 60 to me but the scan tool says dd13. The customer says someone did something with the EGR and says if he doesn't do something the scan tool "won't like it"? He's a different cat to be sure. But I can tell you it's got an actuator of some kind on the turbo that runs on air pressure. Of course all these issues are ever since but I can't confirm this claim because the head gasket was blown so bad it was towed in and we couldn't drive it.

It starts great now, runs great, has good power except for the boost dropping off and coming back.
replyreply
Gonna pm you my number. Can you send me pics of the engine. Specifically the turbo side.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.