Fuel pump 2350. Can’t get toppets out.
04-18-2023, (Subject: Fuel pump 2350. Can’t get toppets out. ) 
Fuel pump 2350. Can’t get toppets out.
Hi. I'm trying to rebuild my 2350 fuel pump because 559 code. I removed the head and can't get one of the toppets out. Please advise how to get it out.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: Fuel pump 2350. Can’t get toppets out.
you need a whole new pump. If those rollers are chewed up like that then the crankshaft in the bottom of the fuel pump is toast too.

You also need to flush the oil system, drain the oil pan, remove it, and see how much shavings are in the oil. If you have been driving it like that for more than a day or so.. everything in the engine could be ruined at this point.

Also remove a main and rod bearing and inspect them .. inspect the engine crank shaft, check the face gears in the engine to see if they are pitted or chewed up,.. everything needs to be inspected to see how much progressive damage has been done.

Any metal shavings in the oil.. then the oil cooler will need replacing, the oil pump, and anything else that got pitted or damaged too + all rod-main bearings, etc.etc.etc. -= It is a huge undertaking to try and stop the progressive damage and to get all the metal shavings/flakes out of the engine after the fuel pump fails like that.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SergeyB , tree98
you can see the damage to the crankshaft in the pump, it's done.

like rawze said, you need to do extra work trying to make sure the debris is cleared out of the engine.

First thing i would do, the easiest to start with, would be to pop the top and thoroughly inspect the cam and the entire overhead.

Also, piston cooling nozzles could clog up if there's a big enough chunk.

Cam and all the bearings are probably the most sensitive to smaller shavings, while any oil passage can get clogged up with bigger chunks. It could literally be anywhere inside that engine.

When mine went I had absolutely no clue about any of this. Drove for almost 6 months with the occasional 559 code popping up, wasn't constant. When I finally learned about it and realized what happened I replaced the guts in the fuel pump. That was the first repair I personally did on this truck, instead of paying someone else. Mine had the ceramic plungers and one had got stuck and about 1/3 of it was missing. The metal tappets had wear but the pump crank looked ok at the time. At that point I figured the damage was already done and since I was still mostly broke I drove the truck for another year before I discovered some damage to my cam. When I inframed it you could see where small debris had gotten into the bearings and scratched them up. Replaced the cam, rollers, all the bearings, usual inframe stuff, also replaced the fuel pump and oil cooler.

The only thing I credit for keeping that engine alive, prior to the inframe, was pure dumb luck. Don't be like me.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SergeyB
That sucks, especially with the way the trucking industry is right now.
I called the dealer and he said the pump costs $5k. Thanks guys for your help.
replyreply
04-19-2023, (Subject: Fuel pump 2350. Can’t get toppets out. ) 
It's hard to tell, but in your first pic it looks like the roller wore a significant path into the lobe driving it. How long did that fuel code keep occurring? Whats the hours/mileage on this engine? Had anyone replaced the fuel pump internals before?

- Like others have already mentioned, although the pump certainly needs to be replaced, the priority is finding out where all the metal went. Hopefully it slowly deteriorated and the filter caught most of it rather than riddling the whole system. Regardless, without properly inspecting for the metal throughout the engine, a new pump will only be the beginning of your problems.

It's my understanding that the pin within the roller is the first to go causing the roller to 'skip' and slide rather than roll causing accelerated wear. Was the pin seized to the rolls or really damaged? The updated version, although not immune to the issue, has a DLC hardened coating on the pins to somewhat prevent this very issue. The normal fuel pump check and part replacement should still be completed though

Good luck and keep us updated. Don't hesitate to ask questions. You're not the first with this issue and certainly won't be the last unfortunately.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.