Exhaust smoke
04-23-2023, (Subject: Exhaust smoke ) 
Exhaust smoke
I'm in Montana climbing a grade and I notice heavy smoke coming from the stacks. It seems white but looked dark at times when really thick and also blue as it dispersed behind me so hard to tell what color it really is but mostly white I'd say. I took a quick video that I'll attach. I pulled over 10 miles after noticing this but it seemed to only be smoking when I would be pulling a grade. Even a small grade but when I was going flat or down I could be at full throttle and not notice any smoke. After 10 miles I could smell something burning and it smelled like my DPF. The smoke seemed to go away at times I would be at full throttle and not see anything but then I would be at half throttle and see it billowing out. When I parked my truck it
went into passive Regen for a little bit and I could see puffs of smoke leaking from the dpf can somewhere but there was no smoke coming out the stacks. I sat for 45 minutes looking up shops and found one 4 minutes away so I drove there and gave it full throttle through my high gears and didn't see anything and also nothing when it idles so idk. I have no codes and all gauges were reading normal and nothing sounded weird and there was no loss of power. But something is clearly wrong cus it was pouring so much smoke it was falling onto the highway like a river behind me. The video I took isn't the worst of it but gives a pretty good idea of what it was like.

I'm waiting till the morning to have a shop look at it but do you think it's worth having them pull the head off to inspect?
replyreply
RE: Exhaust smoke
unable to attach video clip here so ive uploaded to youtube and will attach the link

https://youtube.com/shorts/A_Y47cpFcrI?feature=share
replyreply
You say it only does it when pulling hard? ...

I think you need to read this first...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid42439

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Josiah Harder
04-24-2023, (Subject: Exhaust smoke ) 
I had the same scenario with My CM570 , I went thru quickserve procedure, Turbo was the issue. YT turbo 2 days later installed” no more smoke.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(04-23-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  You say it only does it when pulling hard? ...

I think you need to read this first...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid42439

It only was doing it while I was pulling up an incline even if it was minor. But if I was flat at full throttle I wouldnt see anything. When I pulled over the truck went into regen mode automatically so it may have been doing a passive regen while I was on the hill. I even noticed some smoke coming out around the dpf cannister when I crawled under which makes me think the dpf is damaged. I took the truck for a test drive today and didnt notice anything even at full throttle so its very weird. I had to stop yesterday because the smell of that smoke was so strong and obnoxious I thought something was on fire. It smelled like regen exhaust but much stronger. Im waiting at a shop right now for them to look at it but Idk if its worth it anymore. What could they even do? open up the cannister to make sure the filter isnt damaged?

I pulled over 10 miles after noticing it smoke really bad so it could have just been a very temporary thing that went away
replyreply
(04-24-2023 )Pd6cas2 Wrote:  I had the same scenario with My CM570 , I went thru quickserve procedure, Turbo was the issue. YT turbo 2 days later installed” no more smoke.

Your old turbo must have been leaking something or what would have caused that?
replyreply
I only had the shop do a Regen for me so I could monitor my dpf for leaks and everything seemed good and there was no smoking. I took it 30 miles today before stopping and had to climb some minor inclines at full throttle and there wasn't a trace of smoke so I'm hoping you are right Rawze about it only being unburnt fuel in the dpf igniting all at once. Will update on how things go tomorrow if anyone's interested because I have many big grades to climb so that should be a real test
replyreply
04-25-2023, (Subject: Exhaust smoke ) 
When is the last time you did an EGR tune-up on it and cleaned out all the EGr piping, replaced the IMAP and other sensors?. Actually did some proper preventative maintenance?.

Your posts imply that you are running off to repair shops whenever you have minor issues .. must be nice to be so rich to throw all your profits away and not work on your own stuffs like that. -= Wish I was that rich, and made all kinds of moneys to give away like that.

This forum is all about learning how to keep your moneys, keep after your equipment properly, and maximizing long term profits as a truck owner.. so ... If you don't learn to grab a wrench and take care of your minor to medium problems yourself.. then you need to be a company driver instead of owning a truck!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Josiah Harder
04-25-2023, (Subject: Exhaust smoke ) 
I cleaned my EGR valve a couple months ago and checked my EGR cooler and piping it was all clean and dry. I did watch your whole EGR tune up videos though and am trying to learn to fix things myself. I only went to a shop twice now first because I needed a new actuator. That's when I found the forum. I was going to buy Insite but am not willing to pay the licensing fee and also don't feel right about cracked software so Im not sure what to use for diagnostic software/hardware. I have already learnt a lot from this forum though.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.