Radiator conversion
05-07-2023, (Subject: Radiator conversion ) 
RE: Radiator conversion
(05-06-2023 )Smiling lemon Wrote:  
(05-06-2023 )amermextrucker Wrote:  While looking around Northern website I came across the following.

I am surprised at how much stricter Ford is on a leaking cac

The rule of thumb on most big trucks is (starting at 30 psi), no more than a 10 psi leak rate in 60 seconds.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Smiling lemon , Toolguy
(05-06-2023 )Pd6cas2 Wrote:  
(05-06-2023 )Smiling lemon Wrote:  I did the pepper trick and seems to have sealed it, this has been a couple months now and I had been looking into the conversations but there's not a whole lot of information.

The site pd6 posted have a 3 inch with dimensions that similar to my current read.

I think what I'll start trying to find is the dimpling on a 3-4 core, but still a copper brass setup, that way next time this happens I can repair it

I’ve literally seen mechanic drop a dozen raw eggs into coolant,Stop leak and drive truck into shop .
After that the CAT C-13 had 7 cracks on the head, it was infrared with a reman head . I would never do that, but some foks spend a dollar to dave a nickel.
Pretty sure cracks in car heads are normal, can't remember the specs but I think between intake and exhaust valve is the most common.

With that much trash in the system I would expect the radiator was replaced too.
replyreply
(05-07-2023 )Smiling lemon Wrote:  Pretty sure cracks in car heads are normal
Pretty sure you meant Cat heads. Yea the C15 is notorious for it, Cat doesn't recommend changing the head because of those cracks either. Supposedly they aren't a problem.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(05-07-2023 )tree98 Wrote:  
Pretty sure you meant Cat heads. Yea the C15 is notorious for it, Cat doesn't recommend changing the head because of those cracks either. Supposedly they aren't a problem.

Yea if they are on the exhaust valve side they are supposedly good still. They can kiss my ass. I’m not investing that kind of time, work, and money in an engine and then put a cracked head on it
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , tree98 , Pd6cas2 , Toolguy
05-08-2023, (Subject: Radiator conversion ) 
(05-07-2023 )Bengy88 Wrote:  
(05-07-2023 )tree98 Wrote:  

Yea if they are on the exhaust valve side they are supposedly good still. They can kiss my ass. I’m not investing that kind of time, work, and money in an engine and then put a cracked head on it

I agree completely, I also don't think heads should Crack that much. I definitely would not reuse one of them
replyreply
I just spoke to a radiator shop and the guy told me that aluminum radiators are "100 times more efficient ". I don't understand that because copper is one of the most thermally efficient metals. I understand aluminum is cheaper and lighter, but it is not more efficient
replyreply
(05-08-2023 )Smiling lemon Wrote:  I just spoke to a radiator shop and the guy told me that aluminum radiators are "100 times more efficient ". I don't understand that because copper is one of the most thermally efficient metals. I understand aluminum is cheaper and lighter, but it is not more efficient

I disagree with total aluminum radiator, I replaced that exact all aluminum radiator that only went two years. I began to smell coolant while pre-Trip and walking around truck,fueling and Yes aluminum radiator is lighter than copper and cheaper. Like CAC they leak slowly!
replyreply
08-08-2023, (Subject: Radiator conversion ) 
Stay away from aluminum radiator they just don't last in a semi. yea lighter bla bla.
just find one that works for your truck. I've tried 4 core, but like hammer i find that a 3 core works very well for me. better air flow/less restriction. those long pulls up hill(wy28 south bound) a 4 core just would heat up to much for me so i went with 3 and been very happy. Try finding radiators from LKQ or some dealers carry norther rad. or if you got the bucks. factory/oem($$) and stay away from Detroit rad. their quality has been shi#t lately. had one it sucked. seams leaked at the bottom core.

User's Signature: hard to go 60 mph when the winds blowing 65+ in WY
replyreply
08-09-2023, (Subject: Radiator conversion ) 
(08-08-2023 )stevesparts Wrote:  Stay away from aluminum radiator they just don't last in a semi. yea lighter bla bla.
just find one that works for your truck. I've tried 4 core, but like hammer i find that a 3 core works very well for me. better air flow/less restriction. those long pulls up hill(wy28 south bound) a 4 core just would heat up to much for me so i went with 3 and been very happy. Try finding radiators from LKQ or some dealers carry norther rad. or if you got the bucks. factory/oem($$) and stay away from Detroit rad. their quality has been shi#t lately. had one it sucked. seams leaked at the bottom core.

I simply replaced mine with genuine OEM only. - Only had to replace it one time in 1.4 million miles.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.