2011 Prostar CM871 Oil Pressure / Electrical
05-07-2023, (Subject: 2011 Prostar CM871 Oil Pressure / Electrical ) 
2011 Prostar CM871 Oil Pressure / Electrical
Good Day

I have a 2011 International Prostar that is driving me nuts!! I had a starter replaced a few months back and every since then my oil pressure system has been acting crazy. I can be rolling and all of a sudden I got bells going off telling me there is no oil pressure or I hit a good bump and boom bells and whistles then it may go off or it may derate me and shut me down. I have replaced the oil pressure sensor, the dealer replaced the plug and did a wire overlay saying the wires were old and swollen but the issue keeps coming back. Each time i got about two weeks out of it before the problem resurfaces. This time is a little different then the other times as it mainly happens when I hit a good bump in the road or if I am turning a corner, negotiating a curve or pulling a incline or accelerating. Last night i had an electrical fault code pop up and my entire cluster went on the blink then it corrected itself and has not happened again yet the oil pressure system is still intermittently shutting me down.

I need some help, I am lost and have

1. first time it happened in MS called Road Service mech says plug was loose turns out he never touched the oil sensor and was fooling with the fuel sensor in any event the truck restarted after I sat on the side of the road long enough for the code to not be active. End result wasted money because they did nothing.

2. One week later problem comes back in TX this is when i realized that the first mech never even laid hands on the oil pressure sensor as i was down for 4 days because the shop was fooling with the fuel sensor thinking Navistar had some proprietary plug on it because the oil sensor will screw into the fuel sensor location but will not plug in. First sensor they got directly from Cummins when it wouldn't connect they ordered one from international cost me 4 days and I had to pull up diagrams and point out to them they were messing with the wrong component. Needless to say we finally got the sensor changed.

3. Got some time out of it and then problem returned got home to Phoenix, AZ took it to RWC Group they said that the plug and wires were old, brittle and swollen so they replaced the plug and did an overlay for the harness. Got a few weeks out of it and now it is back doing everything I described above.

Sorry for the long post just trying to provide as much info as possible. Has anyone experienced something like this what can be going on here?
replyreply
RE: 2011 Prostar CM871 Oil Pressure / Electrical
sounds silly, but replace all the smaller fuses in the fuse panel with brand new ones.. even if they are all good. Prostars are notorious for ghost problems when the fuses get old and tarnished. here is a related post that shows what fuses ...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...1#pid12861

as far as the oil pressure.. is the engine itself showing the faults as well when connected with Insite software/... and are there other inactive faults related to it?.. or is it just in the dash/gauge cluster/cab controller?.

Also, has anyone banged the top of the ecm while idling to see if the issue comes and goes, or the engine cuts out while idling, etc?. - another common issue with older Cm870's and CM871's with the ecm.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...7#pid76607

just some places to start looking any ways.

and is this engine de-mandated (deleted)/.. if so, copy the program out of the ecm and e-mail it to me for a proper review. - Oil pressure faults are not likely the programming.. but there are so many bad programs out there people are using that it is not even funny... and this is noting at all to take lightly, as 90% of all de-mandate programs out there are very harmful to the engine over time.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Thanks Rawze

I don't have Insite have not been able to get a hold of it. I have tried to purchase it direct from cummings but they seem to not ever get back to me. I will try to locate a copy then I can check the ECM to see what it's reporting about the oil pressure.

It has not been de-mandated In any capacity.

I will change the fuses you suggested and tap on the ecm to see what happens and report back.
replyreply
05-08-2023, (Subject: 2011 Prostar CM871 Oil Pressure / Electrical ) 
most people from the website here get the Inline-6 adapter and software off e-bay or obd2.com, or some other site for about $300 bucks or so from china. Works just fine.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
05-08-2023, (Subject: 2011 Prostar CM871 Oil Pressure / Electrical ) 
(05-07-2023 )mrpastewart Wrote:  Good Day

I have a 2011 International Prostar that is driving me nuts!!
I had a issue over a year ago similar to yours. It happened twice, I hit a hard bump and my dash died. Truck kept driving but I lost everything on the dash. I was heading back home and it happened a second time. I got back and I started digging. I ended up finding one of the short cables was full of that green stuff. You couldn't tell by looking. I had taken all the cables off and one was stiff and brittle. It was one on the positive side. After replacing it I have never had it do it again.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT
05-10-2023, (Subject: 2011 Prostar CM871 Oil Pressure / Electrical ) 
Similar to Ricky, I had an issue with dash going crazy, power loss, etc... Ended up finding a battery cable that had completely corroded away inside of the lug crimp. Visually it looked perfect, but with a little tug I was able to pull it right out of the crimp, green and ashy white.

Then another time I had a positive cable end crack and break and when I hit a good bump the cable would move and contact the aluminum battery box.

Point being, check you battery cables and ground points. You mentioned it all began after replacing a starter so I would start with those cables, work your way to the battery box and check and clean all the ground points you can find.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.