Engine cleaner
10-27-2023, (Subject: Engine cleaner ) 
Engine cleaner
As I learn more about doing repairs independently, I'm becoming aware that sometimes vehicle engine bays are often filthy enough from driving and/or fluid leakage that it's difficult to quickly tell what might be going wrong.

Can you recommend quality cleaners for this area? Also, procedures and prep to clean which won't damage electrical or other components?

User's Signature: If there's anything I like better than honey and ketchup, it's baloney and whipped cream, and we haven't got any.
replyreply
RE: Engine cleaner
Something I learned years ago... don't clean the engine bay, or parts for that matter until you know why they're dirty.

Oil leaks are much harder to find if they get cleaned away first. Once you know what's going on, then clean.

I'm out of date now when it comes to cleaning chemicals, so I have no solid suggestions there.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Punchy
(10-27-2023 )navycuda Wrote:  Something I learned years ago... don't clean the engine bay, or parts for that matter until you know why they're dirty.

Oil leaks are much harder to find if they get cleaned away first. Once you know what's going on, then clean.

Maybe I worded it incorrectly: I don't mean, just spray it down without inspection. I guess I'm thinking from the opposite direction as you. I see a bunch of buildup on the block, dirt, oil, soot, other leaks, and that's where I want to clean so that I can better identify its origin. If not, that area has a buildup that is spreading and collecting that fuzzy dust, which then makes it extremely hard to pinpoint anything. Not disagreeing about finding out the cause because both are connected.

User's Signature: If there's anything I like better than honey and ketchup, it's baloney and whipped cream, and we haven't got any.
replyreply
I'll typically spray a degreaser/laundry detergent mix as a pre-soak on a cool engine. 1:1 water/degreaser mix combined with a capful of cheap laundry detergent (just helps the solution stay where you spray it) and I'll let it sit for about 7-10min depending on ambient air temp. You'll see any road grime or oil running off as you wait.

If your engine isn't totally oil bathed, this presoak will get most of it off with a little elbow grease and water pressure from your hose.

(Rawze, look away lol) - Now, if you're engine is filthy with a good amount of road grime combined with a handful of neglected leaks, there's nothing that will clean better than heat/pressure. Let me be clear...PRESSURE WASHING IS NOT RECOMMENDED ON THESE ENGINES, but with proper precaution, presoak, heat and the minimal pressure washer setting (lowest regulator and lower engine idle), I'd challenge anyone to get a better clean.

***However, you MUST TAKE PROPER PRECAUTION as to stay away from electronic components. Just use common sense. Don't hammer any sensors, wiring and ECM. High-pressure wands used improperly will certainly cause loads of issues due to moisture intrusion.

I now have over 750k on my engine and have been using this process successfully for the last 500k miles. My engine fortunately does not leak, but for a truck that goes off-road onto a farm daily, it has a very clean engine/bay area. It's a pleasure to maintain as well since you can crawl around it without being filthy. Also much easier to spot an issue when everything is clean.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT
for engine area or any other areas with wiring around it ...

I use diesel fuel in a garden sprayer (or charcoal lighter fluid) + paint brush to clean oily grime and to work it loose.

Followed up with de-greaser soak + garden hose pressure only to rinse everything off after getting it all worked loose, and to make it safe.

Any power-washing = wiring issues, corrosion, and problems down the road.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Punchy , JimT
Simple Green mixed with Dawn detergent is my favorite!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Punchy , JimT , RocketScott
10-28-2023, (Subject: Engine cleaner ) 
Years ago I used something called Action 778, a citrus based industrial solvent for road grime and bitumen. Made short work of an engine bay, made it very very pretty. And it smelled great.

Very expensive stuff and I don't believe it's available at the retail level.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Punchy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.