Cummins reman cm871 worth it?
09-12-2023, (Subject: Cummins reman cm871 worth it? ) 
Cummins reman cm871 worth it?
Need a new block it’s a cm871. Long story short My newly rebuilt motor with only 45k miles has an internal crack in the block. Bought everything from a reputable aftermarket place online which consisted of a reman block, new head and aftermarket internals. I know. Bad move. Well I’m paying for it now. Soo I got my quotes from cummins. I can get a new block, reman head, reman short block, reman long block, or a complete reman motor from Cummins. Are the remans worth it If I get a complete motor? It’s 46k plus core. Or am I better off just getting the new block and reman head and putting it together with oe parts. I’ve read a few years ago that remans weren’t being put together for longevity. Not sure if that’s still the case now.
Thank you
replyreply
09-12-2023, (Subject: Cummins reman cm871 worth it? ) 
RE: Cummins reman cm871 worth it?
In my opinion I would want to put my shi#t together myself. Mr hag has a post on here where he actually bought a reman engine from Cummins and before he put it in he pulled the head to double check the liner protrusion and it was f*cked up and inconsistent. Then of course Cummins wants to know why you took a new reman engine apart. I think Rawze actually fixed the liner protrusion himself.
You will be lucky to find 1 out of 1000 people who call themselves mechanics or technicians or whatever terminology these posers are using today that give two solid shits about your engine. They are few and far between. I have worked 20ish different people this year and was lucky to find 2 that actually give a shi#t. I can’t imagine the people overhauling these reman engines are much different

User's Signature: You can’t buy love, but you can rent it for 3 minutes!
replyreply
09-13-2023, (Subject: Cummins reman cm871 worth it? ) 
My advise from previous experience is to obtain a new block and rebuild it with OEM parts.
Around 6 years ago I got caught with a Cummins reman long motor. Biggest boat anchor I've ever owned, head was off that thing it seemed every 2000 hrs. The block was beyond rebuild in my opinion when Cummins put the engine together. No one can afford $20k every 12 - 18 months on an engine repair. We ended up selling the truck.
On the subject of OEM parts - I have a 12.7 Detroit requiring a rebuild, hosing coolant out of No- 5. Priced parts genuine, went to another source of genuine and aftermarket parts.
The non genuine bits could save me close to $10k. But it's not going to happen. I will spend the extra up front because my experience is you soon forget about the extra monentary pain up front if it continues to do the job well and doesn't let you down. Every time that engine lets you down and costs more you will be reminded of the $10k initial saving that has cost you 5+ times that amount in fairly short order.
Just my thoughts of course, but I've been swinging spanners for 30 years and everytime you short cut and/or try to save some coin it will bite you.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , trucklogger2
09-13-2023, (Subject: Cummins reman cm871 worth it? ) 
The last two we have done have had valve train failures in the rocker shaft assemblies. I also worry about cylinder protrusion especially with cummins lowing their spec down 2 thousandths. To throw another wrench at you we are becoming leary on the reman heads also. They seem to have early failures with cracking. Just my observations over the last couple years.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.