Secondary Air Tank slow to build
05-30-2023, (Subject: Secondary Air Tank slow to build ) 
Secondary Air Tank slow to build
This has probably already been discussed, but I have a 2013 389 and it is very slow to build up air pressure in the secondary tank. Primary tank builds to 100 psi very quickly then it takes 10+ minutes for the dryer to pop off at 130 ish pounds. Once it builds in secondary tank, it holds fine with no trouble. I do not have any major air leaks. I built up air yesterday and just checked it and still has 50 lbs in each tank. I'm guessing it is some type of pressure protection valve that may be sticking, but wanted to ask and see if any of you had any ideas?
replyreply
05-30-2023, (Subject: Secondary Air Tank slow to build ) 
RE: Secondary Air Tank slow to build
Is this with or without the trailer connected?.

Anyone check to see if there is any moisture/water built up in each of the tanks?. Maybe one is faster because it has a lot of moisture/water built up in it?.

Also some leaks do not happen on some system until you are above 90 psi. Get everything aired up to 120+ PSI.. shut key off and right back on when engine stops turning.. and the do a walk around and see if there are any leaks (when it is above 90 psi) with keyswitch on only.

just some thoughts.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2 , Toolguy
05-31-2023, (Subject: Secondary Air Tank slow to build ) 
It’s the same with or without the trailer connected. All the tanks are dry. I’ve aired everything up to 125 psi, turned truck off, key back on and it still had 112 psi 45 minutes later. It’s only slow to build the air for some reason.
replyreply
(05-31-2023 )RByrd Wrote:  It’s the same with or without the trailer connected. All the tanks are dry. I’ve aired everything up to 125 psi, turned truck off, key back on and it still had 112 psi 45 minutes later. It’s only slow to build the air for some reason.

you also mentioned it is a 2013 truck ... how old is the compressor?. more than 800,000 miles or more than 15,000 hours?... maybe its worn to the bone and simply time for a new one?... along with a new air dryer unit?.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
We replaced the compressor (Wabco) and dryer 52,000 miles ago.
replyreply
I had the same issue on my 02 Columbia, The gauge on dash was faulty and giving a lower pressure than actual pressure on tank. Go on Amazon, there’s 1/4 tire valves that screw into tank fitting. GODESON 1/4" NPT Tank Valve, Anti-Corrosion Brass Schrader Valve with 1/4" Male NPT,Using with Air Compressor Tanks(Pack of 4) https://amzn.to/3WLvZ97
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.