DIY Flywheel housing gasket/clutch/RMS
05-18-2023, (Subject: DIY Flywheel housing gasket/clutch/RMS ) 
DIY Flywheel housing gasket/clutch/RMS
It’s time. 130k after my inframe and the flywheel housing gasket…or the rear main…is leaking quite a bit. I knew it was coming, so I call to schedule my truck in for that and a clutch too. I think 8 years is a good enough lifespan for one…
…then Haggais tells me they downsized and are no longer taking flywheel housing gasket jobs. Well now I’m back to the drawing board, I’ve never taken my truck to a shop but I was planning on farming that one out.
I’m not aware of anyone in the SE that does work like this that is trustworthy, so I guess it’s time to roll up my sleeves again. Im drawing a blank on the best approach to do this. Tools I have, what I don’t have is heavy equipment like a chain hoist or a trans jack for trucks, though Im never opposed to buying more tools. I know there are some people who do these things like they are candy…Im more worried about it being done correctly.
Who here has done this? Any advice would be great…
replyreply
05-18-2023, (Subject: DIY Flywheel housing gasket/clutch/RMS ) 
RE: DIY Flywheel housing gasket/clutch/RMS
(05-18-2023 )dhirocz Wrote:  It’s time. 130k after my inframe and the flywheel housing gasket…or the rear main…is leaking quite a bit. I knew it was coming, so I call to schedule my truck in for that and a clutch too. I think 8 years is a good enough lifespan for one…
…then Haggais tells me they downsized and are no longer taking flywheel housing gasket jobs. Well now I’m back to the drawing board, I’ve never taken my truck to a shop but I was planning on farming that one out.
I’m not aware of anyone in the SE that does work like this that is trustworthy, so I guess it’s time to roll up my sleeves again. Im drawing a blank on the best approach to do this. Tools I have, what I don’t have is heavy equipment like a chain hoist or a trans jack for trucks, though Im never opposed to buying more tools. I know there are some people who do these things like they are candy…Im more worried about it being done correctly.
Who here has done this? Any advice would be great…
Not sure where you are at but there's a place in St Pauls NC ...
{PM user for the info.}
replyreply
05-19-2023, (Subject: DIY Flywheel housing gasket/clutch/RMS ) 
I hate to break it to you but if you want it done 100% right you'll have to do it yourself.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
05-19-2023, (Subject: DIY Flywheel housing gasket/clutch/RMS ) 
Yeah I figured as much… the more I look at it, the easier it looks. Definitely not as involved as an inframe.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
05-20-2023, (Subject: DIY Flywheel housing gasket/clutch/RMS ) 
Where are you located?
replyreply
05-21-2023, (Subject: DIY Flywheel housing gasket/clutch/RMS ) 
Depends
If your closet Mississippi I could do it
And buy a new housing, they warp thats why they start leaking
Why they warp idk unless that robot is not torqueing them right

User's Signature: Repairing Demandates 1 Truck At A Time
replyreply
05-21-2023, (Subject: DIY Flywheel housing gasket/clutch/RMS ) 
(05-21-2023 )RollinCoal Wrote:  Depends
If your closet Mississippi I could do it
And buy a new housing, they warp thats why they start leaking
Why they warp idk unless that robot is not torqueing them right

The harder the truck in driven, the more the flywheel housing will warp over time due to the twist/stress between the block and tranny under high operating loads.

I.E.> The harder the truck is driven ... + the more torque its set at, the earlier in their lifespan the FWH gasket will start to leak.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RollinCoal , RocketScott , snailexpress
05-22-2023, (Subject: DIY Flywheel housing gasket/clutch/RMS ) 
Makes sense

User's Signature: Repairing Demandates 1 Truck At A Time
replyreply
05-23-2023, (Subject: DIY Flywheel housing gasket/clutch/RMS ) 
I’m in savannah.

I was able to clean it up and upon closer inspection, it’s definitely the rear seal that’s leaking.

Pulling it down to replace the seal is pretty straightforward I think. What I haven’t figured so far is actually handling the transmission. I’m going to look to see if there are any suitable truck tranny jacks around me for sale, but when the need arises, how have you guys been pulling them?

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.