Puke Dee Eye tuned 871 ecm, can't flash it to stock or connect at all.
07-25-2023, (Subject: Puke Dee Eye tuned 871 ecm, can't flash it to stock or connect at all. ) 
Puke Dee Eye tuned 871 ecm, can't flash it to stock or connect at all.
Hi everyone, I'd like to pick everyone's brains on an issue I've ran into.

Customer of mine has a {Garbage} tuned ecm in his truck. (Poor mileage, smokey, truck is on its third rebuild)

I went to calterm to upload the file in the ecm, was able to connect to it once and pull the file. Unfortunately I'm unable to reconnect to the ecm to flash to stock.

Neither Insite or Calterm will identify the ecm.

Ecm is not rombooted. I used my boot cable and tried (just in case) to get it back online, but am having no success.

Is there anything I can do to recover this ecm?

I do have a trasdata and kess, if someone has a bin file for 871, I could try to flash that in. Just food for thought.

Thank you as always :)
replyreply
07-25-2023, (Subject: Puke Dee Eye tuned 871 ecm, can't flash it to stock or connect at all. ) 
RE: PukeDits tuned 871 ecm, can't flash it to stock or connect at all.
- Yeah, those morons out in Southern Nevada like to corrupt the h#ell out of the ecm programming into oblivion for all their customers. Their programming is also beyond absolute trash engine killing garbage not worth 3 cents. Seen plenty of their crap over the years, especially for the 871's.

As far as I know, their programming does not brick the ecm, but the copy process does fail whenever you try to copy the program out using CT, because of corrupted memory blocks (they do it on purpose) with their horrible garbage.

If someone want to see all their engine killing, terrible jacked-to-all-h#ell horrible, no mode control, complete garbage settings that badly, then a person can simply connect live and look at them, or document the entire ecm live, which takes a while, but is doable.

As far as the ecm goes, it sounds to me like it ended up in a catetonic state one way or another. I have my doubts of it being caused by simply trying to read the ecm image (though it would give you copy errors), but one cannot be sure sometimes.

It also might just be coincidence and it is simply a flaky ecm. CM870, 871, 570 ecm's are known to get flaky with age. Those older model ecm's are well known to be intermittent when you tap on them, etc.. when they are more than 8+ years old, or if someone never changes the crank shaft damper at the proper intervals, and vibration gets to them.

Assuming that you do not have a flaky/bad ecm for the moment, and that it simply will not communicate at all... Then you will have to remove it from the vehicle and hook it up to an official rom-boot harness, and use the button that comes with the harness to force it into rom-boot mode.

According to the cummins paperwork that came with my official harness ... You hold said button in BEFORE YOU POWER UP THE ECM.. and then power up the ecm, holding the button about 5-7 seconds longer while ecm initially powers up, then release the button and it will be in rom-boot mode.

If you simply power up the ecm first, without holding the button in before powering it up, then it will not have any effect.

- If it will not forcibly rom-boot using the proper methods, then it is simply the ecm going bad. The ROM 'Read-Only Memory' boot code itself cannot be edited once it is flashed, and is permanent... not part of any engine program that gets installed or edited.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bengy88 , MattB , barf
RE: Puke Dee Eye tuned 871 ecm, can't flash it to stock or connect at all.
Thank you so much! I've been using the rom-boot cable wrong.

Will report back in the morning.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
07-30-2023, (Subject: Puke Dee Eye tuned 871 ecm, can't flash it to stock or connect at all. ) 
Ok, turns out it was my adapter! USB-Link3 wasn't working with insite 8.7 or calterm. I plugged a usblink 2 in and was able to flash the 871 ecm with a factory calibration.

Also had a 870 ecm that was rom booted, was able to put factory calibration in with usblink 2.

Sending my 3 in for warranty and habe purchased a inline.

Thank you for your help
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bengy88
07-30-2023, (Subject: Puke Dee Eye tuned 871 ecm, can't flash it to stock or connect at all. ) 
Yeah Like I said last night on the phone Ive been able to do all of the above with my 3 with 0 problems
Been using 5.7

User's Signature: Repairing Demandates 1 Truck At A Time
replyreply
 Thanks given by: MattB
07-31-2023, (Subject: Puke Dee Eye tuned 871 ecm, can't flash it to stock or connect at all. ) 
I have heard of several people over the last 2 years who have had trouble with Nexiq USB-link 3's... and switched to a older usblink 2 and their problems got solved.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
07-31-2023, (Subject: Puke Dee Eye tuned 871 ecm, can't flash it to stock or connect at all. ) 
Luckily I haven’t had a problem….. yet. But out of curiosity does anyone know if they are giving issues on the 500k can’s or the 667k can’s. Or is this just something to do with using a data link connecter that was actually designed for faster data links on the now older 250k?

User's Signature: You can’t buy love, but you can rent it for 3 minutes!
replyreply
(07-31-2023 )Bengy88 Wrote:  Luckily I haven’t had a problem….. yet. But out of curiosity does anyone know if they are giving issues on the 500k can’s or the 667k can’s. Or is this just something to do with using a data link connecter that was actually designed for faster data links on the now older 250k?

Never mind I just looked on their website and they are supposed to be 250k compatible. Looks like they just need to improve their new shi#t.

User's Signature: You can’t buy love, but you can rent it for 3 minutes!
replyreply
(07-31-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  I have heard of several people over the last 2 years who have had trouble with Nexiq USB-link 3's... and switched to a older usblink 2 and their problems got solved.

For red engines, I use the Inline 5 or inline 6 adapters, and only use my Nexiq usb2 on rare occasions.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bengy88

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.