04’ cm870 coolant temp high
06-15-2023, (Subject: 04’ cm870 coolant temp high ) 
RE: 04’ cm870 coolant temp high
(06-15-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  
(06-15-2023 )Bengy88 Wrote:  Before I say this I may be thinking completely f*****. But since that engine should be regulated at 184 shouldn’t the ecm be requesting the fan to kick in way sooner than 210 degrees? I’m pretty sure a cm2350 kicks in at 210ish….. but an 870 should never see temperatures like that before the fan comes on….. maybe I’m wrong and if I am then someone please correct me like I said sometimes my brain gets me but I think I’m thinking right.

thermostat keeps it at 185-f.. but the engine fan does not kick in til it gets to 215F for most trucks.

Ok I gotcha. I dunno why I thought the older ones were closer to 195-200. Must have detroits on my mind lol. Thanks for straightening it out lol.

User's Signature: You can’t buy love, but you can rent it for 3 minutes!
replyreply
06-16-2023, (Subject: 04’ cm870 coolant temp high ) 
(06-15-2023 )Redland1 Wrote:  Blew out the Intercooler and radiator out real good and no change.Wanted to mention that oil temps going down the road are 2220-225 and climbing a steep hill it’s 235.

Just out of curiosity, do you deal with many very dirty environments? Ones which would require a blow-out often?

Here's why I ask...when I worked on heavy equipment, we experienced machines with similar issues. Although the heat exchanges would be blown out regularly, at some point (over time) it's like the dirt would be baked onto the aluminum fins. Didn't appear dirty until it was cleaned with some chemical intervention. We would use an acidic mix to spray on the fins (at the time it was an aluminum brighter/water mix). The amount of $hit which would come out was truly unbelievable. It would melt off the fins....anyone who's familiar with this will know what I mean.

It was almost as if the dust particles, which were baked on the fins, 'insulated' them across the entire surface causing the heat exchange to be much less efficient. Temps would be fine under normal circumstances. They would slowly increase under high load until eventually they couldn't recover. After the cleaning, we wouldn't have the issue for some time.

If it's an older radiator, maybe this would be worth looking into. Try a very small spot and see if there's any improvement. Be careful not to go too strong with the mix as those acidic chemicals can cause you more issues if used improperly.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Rawze
(06-15-2023 )Bengy88 Wrote:  I had a truck a few years back that was doing something similar to this and it was actually sucking the radiator hose almost shut. It may be something you want to check out. Does the temps drop immediately after the fan kicks in?
would there be an aftermarket internal spring we could get for those hoses that don't come with them?
replyreply
(06-16-2023 )SquareOne Wrote:  
(06-15-2023 )Redland1 Wrote:  Blew out the Intercooler and radiator out real good and no change.Wanted to mention that oil temps going down the road are 2220-225 and climbing a steep hill it’s 235.

Just out of curiosity, do you deal with many very dirty environments? Ones which would require a blow-out often?

Here's why I ask...when I worked on heavy equipment, we experienced machines with similar issues. Although the heat exchanges would be blown out regularly, at some point (over time) it's like the dirt would be baked onto the aluminum fins. Didn't appear dirty until it was cleaned with some chemical intervention. We would use an acidic mix to spray on the fins (at the time it was an aluminum brighter/water mix). The amount of $hit which would come out was truly unbelievable. It would melt off the fins....anyone who's familiar with this will know what I mean.

It was almost as if the dust particles, which were baked on the fins, 'insulated' them across the entire surface causing the heat exchange to be much less efficient. Temps would be fine under normal circumstances. They would slowly increase under high load until eventually they couldn't recover. After the cleaning, we wouldn't have the issue for some time.

If it's an older radiator, maybe this would be worth looking into. Try a very small spot and see if there's any improvement. Be careful not to go too strong with the mix as those acidic chemicals can cause you more issues if used improperly.

Yes! Lots of dirt roads and a lot of frac sand plants last year.Wonder if it’s the silica sand? When I put in the new radiator nothing changed but maybe it’s the CAC.
You think a quarter gallon aluminum brightener to 3/4 water is a good mix?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
(06-16-2023 )Redland1 Wrote:  Yes! Lots of dirt roads and a lot of frac sand plants last year.Wonder if it’s the silica sand? When I put in the new radiator nothing changed but maybe it’s the CAC.

How long ago did you change the radiator? For us, it didn't take very long for the buildup to knock out the heat exchange efficiency, but these machines were also putting in 8-10hr+ days in the dirt. I would assume that a new rad should've changed something if it were in fact compromised.

- Yea, I think you could start there and see what it does. It should begin working fairly quickly. Maybe concentrate on a small area just to see if any residue comes off. Should be a visible difference if anything is baked on.

*BTW, was the system properly filled with coolant after the radiator replacement? Was a vacuum pulled? Possibly some air hanging around if not...
replyreply
06-17-2023, (Subject: 04’ cm870 coolant temp high ) 

.pdf  680-t07-1064.pdf (Size: 92.54 KB / Downloads: 24)

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1
06-18-2023, (Subject: 04’ cm870 coolant temp high ) 
(06-16-2023 )SquareOne Wrote:  
(06-16-2023 )Redland1 Wrote:  Yes! Lots of dirt roads and a lot of frac sand plants last year.Wonder if it’s the silica sand? When I put in the new radiator nothing changed but maybe it’s the CAC.

How long ago did you change the radiator? For us, it didn't take very long for the buildup to knock out the heat exchange efficiency, but these machines were also putting in 8-10hr+ days in the dirt. I would assume that a new rad should've changed something if it were in fact compromised.

- Yea, I think you could start there and see what it does. It should begin working fairly quickly. Maybe concentrate on a small area just to see if any residue comes off. Should be a visible difference if anything is baked on.

*BTW, was the system properly filled with coolant after the radiator replacement? Was a vacuum pulled? Possibly some air hanging around if not...

It was changed about 2 months ago but only had it for a month before I took it back to the stealership to see if they would warranty it because it sprung a leak on the first week.Got the old one repaired and put it back on.

I did vacuum the system
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.