Water temp problems
09-18-2016, (Subject: Water temp problems ) 
Water temp problems
Could abnormally high egt temps or maybe turbo gettin too hot cause my water temp to run hotter than it should on long hard pulls?
replyreply
RE: Water temp problems
(09-18-2016 )808allstarr Wrote:  Could abnormally high egt temps or maybe turbo gettin too hot cause my water temp to run hotter than it should on long hard pulls?

* The most common causes of what you are describing is clogged radiator, problems with engine fan or clutch, or a bad thermostat.

* What are your oil temps? overheating turbo will cause oil temps to be high more-so than water temps.

* What kind of engine load are you putting to it? -- gearing? rpm? etc.

=========
* Do you have a pyro and boost gauge installed like I suggest in my vidoes? -- If not, you are just driving it blindly, and guessing at your problems.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
This water filter is 8 months old. Had snake oil thru it.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201609/post_2083_1474204122_2cf509ce4ee19183e636f2d6cefa3975.jpg
replyreply
(09-18-2016 )Bahdan Wrote:  This water filter is 8 months old. Had snake oil thru it.

I have one better...
./uploads/201609/post_2_1474216221_f76fbfaf425117deaceccfab21c4c724.jpg

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(09-18-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(09-18-2016 )Bahdan Wrote:  This water filter is 8 months old. Had snake oil thru it.

I have one better...

That must be that waterless coolant?
replyreply
It was from someone else's truck that came here once. He didn't even know the engine had a water filter.

replyreply
(09-18-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(09-18-2016 )808allstarr Wrote:  Could abnormally high egt temps or maybe turbo gettin too hot cause my water temp to run hotter than it should on long hard pulls?

* The most common causes of what you are describing is clogged radiator, problems with engine fan or clutch, or a bad thermostat.

* What are your oil temps? overheating turbo will cause oil temps to be high more-so than water temps.

* What kind of engine load are you putting to it? -- gearing? rpm? etc.

=========
* Do you have a pyro and boost gauge installed like I suggest in my vidoes? -- If not, you are just driving it blindly, and guessing at your problems.

Just changed thermostat. Oil temp gauge not working. Boost gauge works and when water temp gauge reads overly high boost drops to 25psi and seems to lose power. Have 4.33 gearing and loaded with 60-70k. I tried running rpms as high as i can to try and get fan to pull in more air but doesnt work. Ive noticed if i downshift to a gear where i can pull the load up using the least amount of throttle its seems to be able to bring down water temp. Basically the more i throttle the more it gets hot. strange thing is on short pulls even with load or any other time it runs great. Its jus those long one where im constantly climbing for 10 min or more.
replyreply
What I would do is get down to a gear that allows you to keep the boost down below 20psi...more boost=more fuel=higher EGT's=disaster in the making!!

If it means you crawl up the hill...so be it. Save your engine and your fuel.....

My 2 cents.

User's Signature: You want how much?
replyreply
(09-18-2016 )scottydogtruck Wrote:  What I would do is get down to a gear that allows you to keep the boost down below 20psi...more boost=more fuel=higher EGT's=disaster in the making!!

If it means you crawl up the hill...so be it. Save your engine and your fuel.....

My 2 cents.

I don't agree with this.

I've got a autoshift and a heavy spec truck. this thing shift's how it figures a Cummins aught to be shifted and it goes against everything you guys tell yourselves is normal.

while accelerating this thing takes it to 1800 before next gear, up to 2000 if on a incline in the lower 8 gears.

Downshifts climbing hills by 1500 always and keeps the rpm high.

my get extrenal manifold sensor has never been above 800f, he'll I don't remember the last time it was over 750

Now here's the kicker. I read all day all you guys being super impressed with these motors making a million miles hauling 80k. I've got over a million on mine, had the mandate on the entire million and I haul 140,000lbs so I know a bit about trying to keep temp down.

I get this whole keep your boost down thing that guys on here are taking about but I don't think that should be for long climbs. less boost means the bottom end is doing more of the work which creates more heat and that's why you drop a gear, to get boost back up to cool that damn motor.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.