New motor time!
09-18-2016, (Subject: New motor time! ) 
New motor time!
Well here we go. Had a truck die in southern Utah. 1.2 mil on it-good driver in it. Said it started to knock really faint(empty) pushed the clutch in and coasted to the shoulder. Locked up after that. We rented a step deck and towed it home. It took me a bit to get it tore down-Its a mess. 5 of 7 cam bearing spun on the injector cam. The #4 rod cap was so welded to the crank it took a sledge and long rod to beat it off. The mains are all folded into the top bearing, just getting ready to spin. So after weighing the options we went with a Cummins factory reman. 2 year warranty new everything including ECM and wiring harness. Pictures to follow.
replyreply
RE: New motor time!
what will the core charge be for the crank. if the rod welded like u say there is going to be some damage.
replyreply
(09-18-2016 )gatow900 Wrote:  what will the core charge be for the crank. if the rod welded like u say there is going to be some damage.

When I priced a reman for my ProStar, the CM871 core charge was $7000 for a healthy block and crank. This was in Feb of this year.
replyreply
(09-18-2016 )jorden486 Wrote:  Well here we go. Had a truck die in southern Utah. 1.2 mil on it-good driver in it. Said it started to knock really faint(empty) pushed the clutch in and coasted to the shoulder. Locked up after that. We rented a step deck and towed it home. It took me a bit to get it tore down-Its a mess. 5 of 7 cam bearing spun on the injector cam. The #4 rod cap was so welded to the crank it took a sledge and long rod to beat it off. The mains are all folded into the top bearing, just getting ready to spin. So after weighing the options we went with a Cummins factory reman. 2 year warranty new everything including ECM and wiring harness. Pictures to follow.

I will call it like I see it -- I hope it pisses you off and makes you WAKE THE FFF UP!!!

WHAT KIND OF IGNORANT DAMN MORON NEGLECTS THEIR EQUIPMENT THIS BADLY!!!!??!?!?!???

THERE IS NO WAY IN ffff HELL THAT IT COULD GET THAT BAD ALL IN ONE SHOT!!!!!!

THAT IS SHEER IGNORANT NEGLECT!!! -- I HOPE YOU LEARNED SOMETHING FROM THAT -- LIKE REPLACING RODS AND MAINS AT 900K LIKE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO -- AND INSPECTING EVERYTHING REGULARLY, CHECKING VALVE STEM HEIGHT, AND REPLACING THE HEAD AS IT WEARS OUT ALONG WITH THE RODA AND MAINS! -- CHECKING THINGS MORE AND MORE OFTEN ESPECIALLY AS IT GETS OLDER AND SHOWS INCREASED WEAR!!!----

WHAT BLATANT IGNORANT ABUSE!!! PERIOD! -- THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR IT AND NOW YOU ARE LOOKING AT 2X MORE MONEY OUT OF YOUR POCKET LIKE AN IGNORANT FOOL!

There is no money in jumping over a dollar to grab a dime!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy , Pd6cas2
(09-18-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(09-18-2016 )jorden486 Wrote:  Well here we go. Had a truck die in southern Utah. 1.2 mil on it-good driver in it. Said it started to knock really faint(empty) pushed the clutch in and coasted to the shoulder. Locked up after that. We rented a step deck and towed it home. It took me a bit to get it tore down-Its a mess. 5 of 7 cam bearing spun on the injector cam. The #4 rod cap was so welded to the crank it took a sledge and long rod to beat it off. The mains are all folded into the top bearing, just getting ready to spin. So after weighing the options we went with a Cummins factory reman. 2 year warranty new everything including ECM and wiring harness. Pictures to follow.

I will call it like I see it -- I hope it pisses you off and makes you WAKE THE FFF UP!!!

WHAT KIND OF IGNORANT DAMN MORON NEGLECTS THEIR EQUIPMENT THIS BADLY!!!!??!?!?!???

THAT IS SHEER IGNORANT NEGLECT!!! -- I HOPE YOU LEARNED SOMETHING FROM THAT -- LIKE REPLACING RODS AND MAINS AT 900K LIKE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO -- AND INSPECTING EVERYTHING REGULARLY, CHECKING VALVE STEM HEIGHT, AND REPLACING THE HEAD AS IT WEARS OUT ALONG WITH THE RODA AND MAINS! -- CHECKING THINGS MORE AND MORE OFTEN ESPECIALLY AS IT GETS OLDER AND SHOWS INCREASED WEAR!!!----

WHAT BLATANT IGNORANT ABUSE!!! PERIOD! -- THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR IT AND NOW YOU ARE LOOKING AT 2X MORE MONEY OUT OF YOUR POCKET LIKE AN IGNORANT FOOL!

If the rods and mains were not done and you went past 900k you rolled the dice when the odds were against you. You said you have a good driver in the truck but he doesnt own the truck and I seriously doubt he would do the things an owner would do. This is an extreme amount of carnage which seems to point to oil flow blockage or no oil at all. You would have to run this engine long enough without oil pressure to get this kind of carnage......long enough that the oil pressure gauge or ecm should have picked it up. Bottom line is Rawze is right on this......do rods and mains......pull the rocker cover twice a year at least.....keep a close eye on things.

I am guessing to keep the warranty you will have to keep the government mandate. That alone will be a nightmare and will cost you thousands in fuel. If there is enough downtime involved in warranty on the job training you can bet the driver may look elsewhere for employment.
replyreply
Maybe off subject , but parts man at cummins said that
Truck dealers won't take trucks in on trade if they can't
Do a regen. They need to be fixed first. Money making
Deal for cummins with their overpriced parts.
replyreply
(09-18-2016 )Pro Star Cummins Wrote:  Maybe off subject , but parts man at cummins said that
Truck dealers won't take trucks in on trade if they can't
Do a regen. They need to be fixed first. Money making
Deal for cummins with their overpriced parts.

My International dealer keeps wanting me to trade in my truck for a new one... They know I have the mandate removed, did my in frame too, they are really impressed with Rawze's work. But, I have to much invested in this thing to let it go, and then I would have to remove the mandate on a new truck, and have a truck payment of $2000+ a month... I'll keep my truck, not much left to replace and it has a clear title, no payments... Oh, they offered me $35,000 for mine.
replyreply
Waterloo ,Not knocking the removal of said mandate.
A truck dealer is a salesman , they can play with the numbers
To make it come out the way they want. They can include reinstalling
Mandate and make the numbers work to make you feel like you
Got a deal.
replyreply
(09-18-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  I will call it like I see it -- I hope it pisses you off and makes you WAKE THE FFF UP!!!

I will address a few things but mainly this ^. I have done nothing but show everyone on here and associated with RAWZE respect, and quite frankly this is offensive. You don't know me or what my maintenance schedules and beliefs are. I don't believe bottom ends are problems. I have rebuilt 12 ISX's of my own in my own shop and seen what they look like with my own eyes. 6 of which had over a million miles on them. NONE had bottom end issues. All but one had excessive blow by which clogged the oil filters(knowing now thanks to RAWZE what causes this).

This particular truck was EXTREMELY well taken care of from DAY 1. Oil changed every 12-15k overhead done every 100k never overreved or over heated. I had the EGR hooked up for the first 500k(Extended warranty and not knowing the damage it does)
At 1.2 mil it ran like an absolute clock. Not a miss or a drop of oil usage. I knew an inframe was close but figured it would start clogging the filter and then we would know it was time.

The oil pump failed in Utah and for some reason the oil shut down didn't activate-It was not IGNORANT ABUSE or a MORON NEGLECTING EQUIPMENT. Its certainly your right to think I pushed it to long but I haven't read many other accounts on here of oil pump failures.

Other concerns- I have a crank to put in the core to return it and cummins said not to worry about the block-they will take it as is. Time will tell I guess.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: AHMLLC

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.