Helping Nilao out with an inframe ...
09-23-2016, (Subject: Helping Nilao out with an inframe ... ) 
RE: Helping Nilao out...
Day 6 (Wednesday) ...
Nilao cleaned up the block really well and removed his air compressor so that he could bring it as a core when getting his new one. He also removed his crank shaft damper, it came off with a little effort, but nothing as bad as mine was.

While waiting on parts, Mr. Hag called me up in the afternoon and offered to donate more than $300 worth of brass counter-bore shims to us that he ended up not using on the last job he did for someone. We have a set on order already, so we will use the ones he offered so that we do not have to wait on them, and we will give him back the ones that come in the mail on Friday or Saturday as a courtesy.

We measured the wrist pin bearings in the rods to ensure they were still in spec. The maximum tolerances were +0.0002" to -0.0006". Well within acceptable range. No, I did not add any extra zeros when posting these numbers, I have the tools and many years of working with high precision machinery behind me to measure this accurately.

Day 7 (Thursday)...

We finished polishing the engine block and went over to Mr. Hag's shop and picked up the shims. We also had the old head in the back of the pick-up truck and he said the same thing that I did when I saw it. It definitely looked a lot more worn than it should have been for only 600k miles on it. Some soot had taken a serious toll on it for sure in its past.

We went to MHC and got the overhaul kit, crank shaft damper, rod bearings set, crank position sensor, new air compressor, a case of brake cleaner, and some other odds ans ends. I think he had to shell out $6024.xx something dollars total.

The shipping tag for the overhaul kit alone showed a weight of roughly 280 lbs for anyone curious. I thought it would be heavier than that.

In late afternoon, we got back, and started on the counter-bore process. We determined that he needed to adjust the liner step in the block from 4.725" to 4.752" to accommodate for the 0.032" brass shims, and raise the liner height to 0.015".

We got 3 of the cylinders counter-bored so far. Tomorrow, I will help him do the rest, then install the liners to their final position.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Helping Nilao out... - Rawze - 09-23-2016

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.