Oil sample not looking good.
07-26-2023, (Subject: Oil sample not looking good. ) 
Oil sample not looking good.
2016 CM2350
563,880 miles at time of this post

Finally have a baseline and a second sample. First one was initial drain right after purchase from Ryders lease fleet (not rental). Second sample pulled 7/3 but they just tested it yesterday 7/25.

Air filter was changed at first sample so time to look for leaks, truck works in dusty conditions a lot. Also going to look into doing the bearings. Slowly having to learn how to care for this red motor as I can't find a competent mechanic around me. I know its needs a overhead done but again mechanic issues so another this to tackle myself sooner then later.

./uploads/202307/post_6331_1690417304_f86ee7af58b4ecb08b0ed8d891bef7ba.jpg
./uploads/202307/post_6331_1690417342_dab5158788a6915f2c2509e578633039.jpg
replyreply
07-27-2023, (Subject: Oil sample not looking good. ) 
RE: Oil sample not looking good.
Ive said it before about ryders trucks,
They are not taking care of and they actually run a "universal" 10w30 synthetic
Far as the "universal" corp says its for gas and diesel engines (I call BS)
I have done major engine work on there trucks and have sludge build up behind the timing gears with 300k on them.
So with that in mind IF you buy 1 change the oil ASAP Id run it about 10k and change it again for the fact of "proper" diesel oil (delo 400 / rotella 15w40) will break that sludge down (at least it has done it in the cars ive put it in)

User's Signature: Repairing Demandates 1 Truck At A Time
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , SquareOne
Check your air filter case Cascadias tend to warp over time and will not sit in the grove along the bottom othe the 2 halfs and allow unfiltered air pass threw

User's Signature: Repairing Demandates 1 Truck At A Time
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(07-26-2023 )FLdriver Wrote:  2016 CM2350
563,880 miles at time of this post

Finally have a baseline and a second sample. First one was initial drain right after purchase from Ryders lease fleet (not rental). Second sample pulled 7/3 but they just tested it yesterday 7/25.

Air filter was changed at first sample so time to look for leaks, truck works in dusty conditions a lot. Also going to look into doing the bearings. Slowly having to learn how to care for this red motor as I can't find a competent mechanic around me. I know its needs a overhead done but again mechanic issues so another this to tackle myself sooner then later.

DID you go 36,316 miles between oil changes there?... that is what the second oil sample is saying for mileage. --- If so ... THAT IS INSANE!!!... THAT IS ENGINE NEGLECT AND STRAIGHT UP ENGINE ABUSE!!!!

- WHAT IS YOUR FUEL MILEAGE?... your oil change interval should be based on average fuel mileage.. and not some arbitrary fixed damn interval.

Also the numbers show about 64,000 - 67,000 miles worth of wear!. That oil is not doing its job at all. That or the top end is full of rust and crud from lot rott!... Something is wrong there indeed!.

The ZDDP is too low for a cummins engine (any low-pressure engine for that matter) .. so that Delvac needs to go. Switch to Shell-rotella or Delo ... something with some actual damn ZDDP in it!.

Silicone is high too.... and could be the intake compromised like you said, or the air cleaner not doing its proper job .. .. but can also be coolant seepage (depending on the type of coolant used). - Make sure that thing is not consuming any coolant. Pressurize the entire coolant system to 20-psi and let it sit over night. Check the egr cooler for wetness inside the exhaust portion, and if you drop the pan, check for seepage from a piston or liner, etc.

What kind of coolant are you using?.. and when is the last time it was properly flushed out?... the damn engine had half a million miles on it when you purchased it.. and that should have been one of the first things that was done, was flush out the damn coolant system of any half-million mile-old coolant ... right along with a whole lot more reversal of neglected if missed and ignored scheduled maintenance.

I can only assume that you made that all too typical mistake that people make .. JUST BUYING IT AND THEN DRIVING IT BLINDLY WITHOUT DOING ANY IF ITS SCHEDULED 500K MAINTENANCE TO IT before putting it on the roads to haul freight. .. People all too often ASSUME LIKE A FOOL THAT ITS HALF-MILLION MILE OLD ARSSE IS MAGICALLY READY FOR THE ROADS!. MUST HAVE BEEN ALL FIXED UP BY THE TRUCK FAIRY-GODS! or something. That is one of the most common and biggest mistakes people make that buy into used trucks!. Then everyone wonders why they have nothing but problems they seem to endlessly chase!.

EVERYTHING on this maintenance schedule should have been done to it before putting it into service without skipping any of it .. from the beginning to the 500k mile portion if it. This one is for a prostar, but most trucks are the same...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid26680

(also just mentioning this)...
And if the engine is deleted, then the program also needs to be reviewed right away too, as most delete programs are absolutely horrible, causing progressive damage over time.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
How many miles on the Damper? Needs A Bypass oil Filter system ASAP.
replyreply
I did go that long on the oil change, wasn't 100% planned but I thought I saw per Cummins it that 35,000 was acceptable at 6.5 mpg so held off a little longer. I could be mistaken and don't plan to wait that long again.

Truck did not sit long so will look into a better oil next oil change and see what that does.

I don't remember the brand coolant
, it came from local freightliner dealer but it is red, I'll have to find my paperwork. I don't know about being flushed but it was drained for heater core replacement before I drove it home then again when I got it home after it devolved a couple leaks on the 800 mile drive.

It did get put into service quicker then planned because the truck it replaced had issues that came up that forced me to park it sooner. I will go through your list but I have done some I'm sure. I will update shortly on what on that list has been done.

It is not deleted but is poorly speced. That is on my list of things when the need arises or I determine that the most likely useless extended warranty is no worth caring about. It's only good until Jan '24 or another 50k miles.
replyreply
(07-27-2023 )Toolguy Wrote:  How many miles on the Damper? Needs A Bypass oil Filter system ASAP.

Original I'm sure. On the list to do with overhead as I've read it needs pinned and camshaft wedge for both.
replyreply
07-28-2023, (Subject: Oil sample not looking good. ) 
Just needs to be pinned for the bolt removal and installation of the damper. you have to rotate the engine to do the overhead so it can not be pinned for that part.
replyreply
07-29-2023, (Subject: Oil sample not looking good. ) 
Wow, 36,000+ miles between changes!

I've been getting averages between 7.8-8.0 mpg for the past year and I still get nervous when I push my oil change from my usual 15,000 miles up to 16,000 miles because I'm still on the road (I do my own changes at home). If your down in the 6's then you should be looking at 7,000-10,000 mile intervals. Start lower just because the truck is new to you and could use the help flushing the neglect of is past life. 10,000 mile intervals would be more normal for mid 6's to low 7.

Oil samples are good, but they are really only a good tool for detecting changes over time. You can't usually look at a single sample in isolation and expect to devine what's going on. My opinion, best to sample at every oil change and watch the trends. Make notes about anything that could have had a significant impact on that oil and factor it in to your own analysis. That being said, don't ignore the other advise from here in regards to the samples posted.

When you settle on your preferred oil, be it Rotella (the most popular on this site) or Delo (my personal preference for my engine) also consider availability. Pick one and stick with it knowing that either you or your preferred shop will always have and use the same oil every time.

You might think a big fleet maintained vehicle would have a good solid service history (that was my naive thought once) but that is far from reality. Nearly all big fleets (including places like Ryder and Penske) adopt maintenance schedules that meet the bare minimum to keep the average truck running through their planned ownership period. So, if they plan to sell it at 500,000 miles then they will only do as much as needed to ensure it's useful life makes it to that point, and not a dime more. This is why we see ridiculous oil change (and grease too) intervals of 30,000+ miles and fleets using 10w30 instead of 10w40 (because it slightly increases fuel mileage at the expense of engine life expectancy - which is not their problem after they sell it). They buy trucks new at quantity discounts, milk them for every penny while equipping them with careless company drivers that have no stake in the equipment. Then turn around and sell them when they hit the predetermined end of life or when they show the first signs of an impending major repair. (The worst are the companies that thrive on offering these trucks as lease purchases, knowing full well that the financial burden will likely prevent the purchaser from completing the lease term.) Anyway, getting a little of topic here, sorry.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bengy88 , Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.