ISX crankshaft gear
09-08-2023, (Subject: ISX crankshaft gear ) 
RE: ISX crankshaft gear
(09-08-2023 )Colter Wrote:  350/400F is enough however I leave the gear and adapter in the oven for 6-8 hours and we still need to move fairly quick. The crank will pull the heat out of the gear quite quickly and you may be having issue due to the components not being at an even temperature

Hi Colter thanks for the reply.
You are talking about the gear not the adapter correct?
Do you have to beat it on?
Do you have a better idea then the small C-clamp cummins depth setting tool.
Again thanks for the reply!
replyreply
Both will behave the same way with the same issues, the outside may measure 350 but could still be 250-300 inside

Both gear and adapter go into the oven at roughly the same time.
The clamp tool works okay, unless your doing multiples there no need to invest in getting a better idea made (two blocks machined to correct thickness and held to block with magnets and gear can be pressed up against them and held)

Option is to build a box with a hole in the end for the crank, bubble insulation inside, fill with dry ice for 20-30 mins to shrink the crank (can buy dry ice or use C02 and a fire extinguisher nozzle and make ice)

When the your about ready for the gear to be installed the tone ring goes into the oven.
Gear comes out and will most likely have a blue tinge to into, retaining compound applied to crank surface, gear will slide on and wont stick, hold in place, the crank will pull the heat out quickly seating the gear, hold for a minute, longer if it the crank was frozen. Don't use compressed air to cool the gear, probably wouldn't do anything but cold air can move a sleeve during a shrink fit

Install dowels and tone ring, Cummins procedure from manual, crankshaft adapter installed in the same manner, residual heat will evaporate a fair amount of dry ice if using that route again on adapter.

I've never had issues without using dry ice but it definitely helps
replyreply
How about making a video of the next one you do Colter ?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
09-09-2023, (Subject: ISX crankshaft gear ) 
I can do something like that, it wont be professional quality but we can hit the main points.

It not a common thing needed we just happened to have a run of them Jan-April which most came back to a tune issue, but that's for a different thread.

But other then the front main tool I don't use any Cummins specific/sold tooling so if it helps save someone some time and stress in the future I'm all for it

I'll see if I've got any photos of a fresh install, even just for a visual reference to the color of the gear/adapter post heat
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.