High Voltage Surge
09-21-2016, (Subject: High Voltage Surge ) 
RE: High Voltage Surge
(09-21-2016 )CFR__AND_SONS Wrote:  I believe the one on this truck is new. I'll have to check.

So what kind of damage can the high voltage do?

Mine was pegging out when she went the first time, I honestly did not experience any damage that I know of, and that was over two years ago. BUT! I did find that my factory cabling was garbage! Bare cable everywhere, from the factory, I replaced nearly 100 feet of OEM copper cabling with new stuff, all of the power and grounds was replaced. I could not believe that this truck rolled off of the line the way it did. Honestly, I was lucky the truck did not catch fire, it was that bad.

So check your cabling, get under the truck and LOOK! The cable to my starter had 10" of bare exposed copper, no jacket whatsoever. It was green from end to end, around 15+ feet of 0 gauge cable. The grounds were the same, all green and oxidized, you could break the wire with your fingernail, it just disintegrated when you touched it. I have no idea how the truck started, or even ran. I have never seen anything like it.

Anyhow... When this latest Alternator went, I did not give it a chance to go as far as the last one did, and I got it off of there ASAP. New one is working fine, and I went to the dealer and bought the OEM alternator that was meant for the truck, a Leece-Neville. It was the same cost as a new Delco, and is correct one for my truck. Not that another Delco would not have worked, it would have. But my luck with non OEM parts has not been the greatest as of late, so I went to the dealer this time around.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: High Voltage Surge - Unilevers - 09-21-2016,
RE: High Voltage Surge - Waterloo - 09-21-2016
RE: High Voltage Surge - Rawze - 09-21-2016,
RE: High Voltage Surge - Rawze - 09-24-2016,
RE: High Voltage Surge - Rawze - 09-27-2016,
RE: High Voltage Surge - Rawze - 12-16-2016,
RE: High Voltage Surge - Rawze - 12-16-2016,
RE: High Voltage Surge - Brock - 12-16-2016,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.