Isx 870 engine coolant/oil temp gauge/Jake brake
10-15-2023, (Subject: Isx 870 engine coolant/oil temp gauge/Jake brake ) 
Isx 870 engine coolant/oil temp gauge/Jake brake
I’m looking for assistance with 2006 KW T800 with an ISX 870 de-mandate from Running Rough with a few different issues that may or may not be related:

The Jake brake will not actuate and the engine coolant temp and oil temp gauges bounce around and are erroneous.

This truck is new to me so I’ve been correcting problems as they have arisen. Before I purchased the truck, the ECM has been replaced about 800hrs ago (unsure how many years ago). The ECM harnesses have also been replaced recently. I’ve cleaned all the grounds and positive connections. New batteries have been installed. I’ve checked the ECM connectors, the cab harness connector, and various switch connections for corrosion and continuity. The coolant temp and oil temp seem to be within range when checked through Insite. The clutch pedal and brake pedal switches also are working when using Insite. The Jake brake selector switch shows 66% on level 3, 66% on level 2, and 33% on level 1. The cruise control does work properly.

How do the temp gauges work? Are they sent a 5v signal from the ecm or ground from the ecm?
What are some of your thoughts on things I may be missing?
replyreply
10-16-2023, (Subject: Isx 870 engine coolant/oil temp gauge/Jake brake ) 
RE: Isx 870 engine coolant/oil temp gauge/Jake brake
(10-15-2023 )Crossfire Wrote:  I’m looking for assistance with 2006 KW T800 with an ISX 870 de-mandate from Running Rough with a few different issues that may or may not be related:

The Jake brake will not actuate and the engine coolant temp and oil temp gauges bounce around and are erroneous.

This truck is new to me so I’ve been correcting problems as they have arisen. Before I purchased the truck, the ECM has been replaced about 800hrs ago (unsure how many years ago). The ECM harnesses have also been replaced recently. I’ve cleaned all the grounds and positive connections. New batteries have been installed. I’ve checked the ECM connectors, the cab harness connector, and various switch connections for corrosion and continuity. The coolant temp and oil temp seem to be within range when checked through Insite. The clutch pedal and brake pedal switches also are working when using Insite. The Jake brake selector switch shows 66% on level 3, 66% on level 2, and 33% on level 1. The cruise control does work properly.

How do the temp gauges work? Are they sent a 5v signal from the ecm or ground from the ecm?
What are some of your thoughts on things I may be missing?

Maybe register your engine ser# on quickserv and get the ecm wiring diagram. It will show
how the sensors are wired.

Also, if you suspect the programming, then it can always be flashed back to the factory program to see if some of those issues go away or not.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Crossfire
Thanks for the thoughts. I forgot to mention that I do have the wiring schematics from Kenworth and I have been using Quickserve. Oddly enough, the issues were present before any programming was done.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(10-16-2023 )Crossfire Wrote:  Thanks for the thoughts. I forgot to mention that I do have the wiring schematics from Kenworth and I have been using Quickserve. Oddly enough, the issues were present before any programming was done.

Some vehicles share the power feed (+5 volts) of the coolant or other sensors with the tranny tail-shaft speed sensor. Seen a few times where the tail-shaft speed sensor or wiring would screw with the coolant or other engine sensors, causing the engine sensors to fault or act up, and not the speed sensor.

just a thought.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.