Ticking sound from front driver side
10-16-2023, (Subject: Ticking sound from front driver side ) 
Ticking sound from front driver side
Hi all…. So I got this ticking sound coming from the front driver side of the motor ISX15 CM2350 with 590000miles. Took it to the shop in Dallas. They checked the cam and rockers (all good/ not damaged at all), did a valve adjustment, clutch adjustment, PM and still ticking.

-no coolant loss
-no oil useage
-PM every 10-12K with T4& Fleetguard filters
- no extra blow by or smoke puffing
- oil pressure is 38-40 when rolling and 19-21 at idle
- no codes, no check engine light

…. I will say it never did or make this sound but did start after using 3/4gal of Lucas when doing a PM. Not sure if it’s a coincidence or something bad happened from it. Also won’t make the sound when rolling down the road in neutral, just at idle after 100F and rolling at 0-50mph u can hear it clearly.
replyreply
10-17-2023, (Subject: Ticking sound from front driver side ) 
RE: Ticking sound from front driver side
First of all, stop pouring garbage into your engine!. Take that bottle of gummy-bears (pukas) and use to to light camp fires at home or something, but keep it the f$uck away from that ISX!>

Next,. it is a common rail ISX. The fuel pump needs all of its guts replaced every 400k miles, so if has not been done.. then it is past over-due for it!. That fuel pump is a ticking time-bomb waiting to destroy that whole engine in a hurry when it fails without any warning. That is the next place to start.

Also, has anyone bothered to do a proper injector leak test on it?... and what was the leak rate?. For all anyone knows, you could have a leaky injector and its causing the 'ticking'.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid75483

And is the engine de-mandated (deleted).. and if so, who did the programming?.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(10-17-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  First of all, stop pouring garbage into your engine!. Take that bottle of gummy-bears (pukas) and use to to light camp fires at home or something, but keep it the f$uck away from that ISX!>

Next,. it is a common rail ISX. The fuel pump needs all of its guts replaced every 400k miles, so if has not been done.. then it is past over-due for it!. That fuel pump is a ticking time-bomb waiting to destroy that whole engine in a hurry when it fails without any warning. That is the next place to start.

Also, has anyone bothered to do a proper injector leak test on it?... and what was the leak rate?. For all anyone knows, you could have a leaky injector and its causing the 'ticking'.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid75483

And is the engine de-mandated (deleted).. and if so, who did the programming?.

Thanks for the reply and yes it was the first and last time ever I’ll use Lucas. Also no the motor is not delete and have no DEF system issues.
replyreply
(10-17-2023 )9900Eagle Wrote:  ...
Thanks for the reply and yes it was the first and last time ever I’ll use Lucas. Also no the motor is not delete and have no DEF system issues.

Aside from what was mentioned above.. when is the last time you did a thourough EGR tune-up on that engine and cleaned out all the piping, and replaced all the important sensors like IMAP, Delta-P, Exhaust pressure sensor, and all the little circuits that feed them?. - it should be done about once a year to keep the emissions system from complaining all the time and to keep fuel mileage at its peak.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(10-17-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  
(10-17-2023 )9900Eagle Wrote:  ...

Aside from what was mentioned above.. when is the last time you did a thourough EGR tune-up on that engine and cleaned out all the piping, and replaced all the important sensors like IMAP, Delta-P, Exhaust pressure sensor, and all the little circuits that feed them?. - it should be done about once a year to keep the emissions system from complaining all the time and to keep fuel mileage at its peak.

I have replaced all those sensors you mentioned about 50k miles ago. I never idle the truck over night but yes I’m due for a EGR cleaning.

Also come to think of it when I was pulling a hill … lately I do get this code 656 FM-7. I have gotten it 3 times so far and it clears itself but comes back again. Will be preforming a injector test tomorrow at the shop.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
(10-17-2023 )9900Eagle Wrote:  ..… lately I do get this code 656 FM-7. I have gotten it 3 times so far and it clears itself but comes back again. Will be preforming a injector test tomorrow at the shop.

isn't that injector cylinder #6 faults?.

replyreply
It is. Comes and goes on its own.
replyreply
10-20-2023, (Subject: Ticking sound from front driver side ) 
*Update on the Ticking sound. Turns out it’s the fuel pump. Not the air compressor or bull gear that was suspected.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Pd6cas2

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.