Burning oil
09-21-2016, (Subject: Burning oil ) 
Burning oil
Gentlemen and I use this term very lightly ( excusing Rawze ofcourse) .
We replaced turbo and actuator on ISX 871 about 2 weeks ago
With new from cummins dealer. We installed per watching Great video
Rawze provided. Our truck is now throwing smoke when first starting
Out,but can't see anything going down the road. We need to add oil
To top off stick after trip. Not overfilling crankcase.
Did we get bad turbo or did I install wrong, or is something not
Seating properly in turbo. We have pyro and boost gauges per
Rawze video. Any help is appreciated.
replyreply
RE: Burning oil
(09-21-2016 )Pro Star Cummins Wrote:  Gentlemen and I use this term very lightly ( excusing Rawze ofcourse) .
Have you taken the exhaust pipe from the turbo to see if it's wet with oil
replyreply
Not yet waiting for Trk to get back this weekend. Will pull that
Exhaust and see . Can this be something besides turbo ?
replyreply
09-22-2016, (Subject: Burning oil ) 
What color is the smoke? Is their any excessive blowby?

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
09-23-2016, (Subject: Burning oil ) 
(09-21-2016 )Pro Star Cummins Wrote:  Gentlemen and I use this term very lightly ( excusing Rawze ofcourse) .

If it is oil loss, or oil related...

Sometimes reman turbos will have turbo slobber. I was told that they do not always replace face seals in them, but that is rumor. Turbo slobber can happen if there is a vacuum at the elbow joint between the turbo and the CAC unit. if it is a de-mandated truck, check for a vacuum by removing the joint clamp for the elbow at the turbo and lifting it up and down gently while the engine is idling. See if it has positive pressure like it should, or if it has a slight vacuum.

If it has a vacuum, adjust the turbo positioning at idle in the ECM up high enough to make a bit of positive pressure.

Do not rule out the possibility of valve guide seals. They are notorious for going bad on the newer CM2250 and CM2350 engines, but can also go bad on the older engines too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I'm now getting smoke at start up in the mornings... Second turbo is slobbering, but I have not noticed any real loss of oil. Truck is running fine in regards to going down the road, just smoke at start up, not allot, but enough to have caught my attention. It will do this for roughly 3 or 4 mins and then settle down and burn clean. I still get wisps of smoke between shifts. Turbo has positive pressure, CAC was checked, and passed, but is original to the truck. Unilever tweaked the turbo, any thoughts?
replyreply
(09-23-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  I'm now getting smoke at start up in the mornings... Second turbo is slobbering, but I have not noticed any real loss of oil. Truck is running fine in regards to going down the road, just smoke at start up, not allot, but enough to have caught my attention. It will do this for roughly 3 or 4 mins and then settle down and burn clean. I still get wisps of smoke between shifts. Turbo has positive pressure, CAC was checked, and passed, but is original to the truck. Unilever tweaked the turbo, any thoughts?

It could still be in the break-in period. Mine did that for a while right after I did my inframe, and now it is gone.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
That is what I was hoping to hear, and my thinking too, not broke in yet, but still have those thoughts as it has been a real money pit. But, the truck is running great as far as the motor goes. I think the fact that I pretty much drag around an empty dry van has allot to do with it, she is rarely ever worked very hard... Unless I get a head wind.
replyreply
Mine is in the same shape. I have a lot of oil at the boots dripping. Odd thing is I have oil draining from both edges of the CAC which shouldn't be possible unless it cracked. I just tested it last month but I'll have to do it again. I am going to send the turbo to the rebuild shop to get new seals when I do my camshafts next days off.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.