Exhaust manifold gasket leaky
10-31-2023, (Subject: Exhaust manifold gasket leaky ) 
RE: Exhaust manifold gasket leaky
When I put everything back together, I can still hear a leak at the manifold. The exhaust is rising up again, can't quite tell from where because I'm outside and yesterday was particularly windy. I let it run about 45 minutes as I refilled the coolant and the hissing and smoking remained. Drove it about five miles and the truck is noticeably more responsive with more get up and go. But when I slowed to under ten mph and/or stopped for a light the hissing came back like before the repair.

To get ahead of two questions I would ask: I've triple- and quadruple-checked my connections and the torque is at 44.

I talked to an OO who's done many repairs on his own truck. He said the first time he did the manifold gaskets, the same thing happened to him, and he was told that the gaskets would seat themselves after driving a bit (not sure how long but sounds like an hour or two). And he said, that was true and everything was okay after that. He also mentioned a term "turbo slobber" where the turbocharger might seep a bit of oil after the repair, before sealing up.

Headed back to the lot to check behind myself again.

User's Signature: If there's anything I like better than honey and ketchup, it's baloney and whipped cream, and we haven't got any.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Exhaust manifold gasket leaky - Punchy - 10-31-2023

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.