Oily turbo coupler
10-29-2023, (Subject: Oily turbo coupler ) 
Oily turbo coupler
Pulling a lot and windy across NM to Flagstaff and down to Phoenix. Opened the hood and found a little oil seeping through silicone turbo couplers. Opened turbo output and it’s not wet, but you can see a little oil residue. I usually try to keep it around 30 psi, and don’t go below 1500 rpm much.
Turbo is a year old. Checked crankcase filter (lifetime) and it’s fine.
The couplers are not old, but I know silicone can leak. First time I’ve seen this.
Not sure where to go from here.       
replyreply
RE: Oily turbo coupler
Make sure no crank case fumes are allowed to buildup in the engine. Check crank case filter and circuit. Could be the vent tube is getting restrictive that goes down to the bottom of the engine.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee , Bengy88
Also after checking what Rawze said make sure you have positive intake pressure by removing the imap sensor and seeing if it sucks or blows a sheet of paper if you hold it just over the hole.

User's Signature: You can’t buy love, but you can rent it for 3 minutes!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee , Rawze
10-30-2023, (Subject: Oily turbo coupler ) 
Both of those things check out ok.
replyreply
(10-30-2023 )Mrkentee Wrote:  Both of those things check out ok.

- As long as the CAC and intake manifold are still staying dry of oil, and you are not having higher than normal oil consumption, you should be ok.

== maybe you have an intake restriction (or turbo not spinning fast enough) causing a vacuum at the face of the turbo/engine intake at idle?.

== Maybe your blo-by is causing some crank case pressure buildup?.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee
(10-30-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  
(10-30-2023 )Mrkentee Wrote:  Both of those things check out ok.

- As long as the CAC and intake manifold are still staying dry of oil, and you are not having higher than normal oil consumption, you should be ok.

== maybe you have an intake restriction (or turbo not spinning fast enough) causing a vacuum at the face of the turbo/engine intake at idle?.

== Maybe your blo-by is causing some crank case pressure buildup?.

I have 820,000 on my Gearhead inframe. Yeah, I was thinking maybe blowby due to hard pulls and descents (jake brake 1700 rpm) combined with altitude.
replyreply
11-03-2023, (Subject: Oily turbo coupler ) 
Ok, I drove empty from Phoenix to Kansas City. When I got here the same coupler was moist on the out side. There oily residue in the CAC all the was to the intake.
Could this be from a boost leak I don’t know about. Could it be that coupler, maybe it’s junk and leaking? I sprayed it a coupke days ago, and there were no bubbles. Or is it likely the turbo?
I don’t have a way to test for leaks unless I can find a shop on Saturday.
Opened the oil cap while running and blowby is negligible.
Any ideas??

Also: the first clamp off the turbo may have a tad loose. Would that be enough to cause it to suck oil under a load??   
replyreply
11-04-2023, (Subject: Oily turbo coupler ) 
loose clamps will not cause the turbo to bleed oil typically.

typical causes of turbo slobber ...

== Excessive crank case fumes.
== Blocked up exhaust.
== Restrictive intake air filter (dirty, etc).
== Turbo not spinning fast enough at idle and not making enough positive pressure at its face to hold the oil back.

Take your pick.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee
11-04-2023, (Subject: Oily turbo coupler ) 
(11-04-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  loose clamps will not cause the turbo to bleed oil typically.

typical causes of turbo slobber ...

== Excessive crank case fumes.
== Blocked up exhaust.
== Restrictive intake air filter (dirty, etc).
== Turbo not spinning fast enough at idle and not making enough positive pressure at its face to hold the oil back.

Take your pick.

Inspected and cleaned up the CCV system. No problems.
I did replace the air filter, but it didn’t seem that bad. Not that old.
Everything else seems OK.
I’ll be keeping an eye on it.
As far as the clamp, I thought it could’ve been momentary under boost, especially at altitude. Doesn’t seem like it’s a constant thing, but it could be a trickle.
We’ll see. Thanks.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.