Cab mount bushings
09-23-2016, (Subject: Cab mount bushings ) 
RE: Cab mount bushings
(09-23-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(09-22-2016 )CFR__AND_SONS Wrote:  Anybody replace cab mounts themselves on Prostar? Should I replace both sides at the same time or can I just replace the bushings on the side theyre non-existent?

If you are referring to the front cab mounts, the bushings are very easy to change. You do need to take the weight off of them and do them one at a time though. I use a floor jack and a 4x4 to take the weight while they are out.

One of the mechanics was installing them when I was in the shop... He used a cherry picker, hooked it around that protrusion that comes out of the cab with a strap. Right above where the hood on the ProStar latches. He had both installed in like a half an hour.
replyreply
09-24-2016, (Subject: Cab mount bushings ) 
(09-23-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(09-23-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(09-22-2016 )CFR__AND_SONS Wrote:  Anybody replace cab mounts themselves on Prostar? Should I replace both sides at the same time or can I just replace the bushings on the side theyre non-existent?

If you are referring to the front cab mounts, the bushings are very easy to change. You do need to take the weight off of them and do them one at a time though. I use a floor jack and a 4x4 to take the weight while they are out.

One of the mechanics was installing them when I was in the shop... He used a cherry picker, hooked it around that protrusion that comes out of the cab with a strap. Right above where the hood on the ProStar latches. He had both installed in like a half an hour.

Oh man! I got the cab jacked up but I just cannot get the bolt loose. I don't have any air tools. I might to call a mobile mechanic use to have them loosen the bolt. Smh!

Already tried WD40 and a bar for torque...../uploads/201609/post_2295_1474728089_52c80c8135ca1e22d1d3ca5aa9fa8128.jpg
./uploads/201609/post_2295_1474728196_3e85cf7f840c035e468f5fe6fe5f196f.jpg
replyreply
I believe the mechanic at the dealer that I watched replacing these used a YUGE breaker bar or torque wrench, and he had help. Then he beat them out with a small sledge hammer if I remember correctly. I'll just run my truck up there and let them do it, he had it done in like 1/2 hour, both sides.
replyreply
Hey CFR, get you a 1/2" drive Milwaukee cordless impact gun. Or an Ingersoll.

They both have about 700ft lbs tourque in reverse. My Milwaukee will take the lug nuts off my big trucks, and my family's farm tractors.

I don't use them for other tasks such as removing head bolts or exhaust manifold bolts. Or tightening lug nuts back on. Anything that requires specific tourque patterns and tightening I use a tourque wrench.

I think an impact gun may be ok for backing out those bolts.
replyreply
I thought i read once where acetone and atf works well. Maybe try heating it up also.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
09-26-2016, (Subject: Cab mount bushings ) 
(09-24-2016 )hhow55 Wrote:  I thought i read once where acetone and atf works well. Maybe try heating it up also.

Thank you. I went out and bought a Craftsman half inch impact wrench with 300 pounds of torque. That did the trick came right off. Fairly easy job to do. Planning on doing the driver's side next weekend. Thank you all for your help.
replyreply
(09-26-2016 )CFR__AND_SONS Wrote:  
(09-24-2016 )hhow55 Wrote:  I thought i read once where acetone and atf works well. Maybe try heating it up also.

Thank you. I went out and bought a Craftsman half inch impact wrench with 300 pounds of torque. That did the trick came right off. Fairly easy job to do. Planning on doing the driver's side next weekend. Thank you all for your help.

How and where did you lift the cab? What did you use? And did the bushings slide right out, or did you have to beat them out? Really would like to know.
replyreply
(09-26-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(09-26-2016 )CFR__AND_SONS Wrote:  

How and where did you lift the cab? What did you use? And did the bushings slide right out, or did you have to beat them out? Really would like to know.
There is 2 bolts on underside of bushing. Take those 2 bolts off and bushing falls out in your hand. No need to beat nothing. Its like a saddle that holds them in. I used 4x4 right behind where the bushing is, on flat part of cab and jacked it up with bottle jack. Very easy to replace.
replyreply
11-23-2016, (Subject: Cab mount bushings ) 
i did mine a small bottle jack on the fuel tank with a 2x6 to dispace the weight over a bigger area worked great . getting the old ones out not so much fun my bols were seized in there solid had to cut them out with a torch both sides not fun if u have to do this get a water hose and spray waters around the area to keep all the wires and every thing cool
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.