ISX ELECTRONIC INJECTORS QUESTION
11-10-2023, (Subject: ISX ELECTRONIC INJECTORS QUESTION ) 
ISX ELECTRONIC INJECTORS QUESTION
Hi, I am new here so go easy on me. I recently had a truck tune changed by a local shop because it was making boost at idle. When it came back they told me I need to replace injector # 3 because its hanging open. The injectors are all new from {aftergarbage diesel}. What is weird to me is that the truck sounds great until it reaches about 140-150 degrees coolant temp then it starts a fuel knock. The mechanic shop is telling me they can turn off # 3 injector with the computer and the knock goes away. I completely understand that makes since, but I just don't understand why it would only do it once the engine warms up. Its a night and day difference in the sound of the engine once warm and it will start a little white smoke out of the exhaust and smells super rich. I have a feeling its tune related because the new injector didn't do that a week ago before going to the shop.
2013 Peterbilt 367 with ISX

Thanks for any advice.
Thanks, Dustin
replyreply
11-10-2023, (Subject: ISX ELECTRONIC INJECTORS QUESTION ) 
RE: ISX ELECTRONIC INJECTORS QUESTION
(11-10-2023 )DTidwell05 Wrote:  Hi, I am new here so go easy on me. I recently had a truck tune changed by a local shop because it was making boost at idle. When it came back they told me I need to replace injector # 3 because its hanging open. The injectors are all new from {aftergarbage diesel}. What is weird to me is that the truck sounds great until it reaches about 140-150 degrees coolant temp then it starts a fuel knock. The mechanic shop is telling me they can turn off # 3 injector with the computer and the knock goes away. I completely understand that makes since, but I just don't understand why it would only do it once the engine warms up. Its a night and day difference in the sound of the engine once warm and it will start a little white smoke out of the exhaust and smells super rich. I have a feeling its tune related because the new injector didn't do that a week ago before going to the shop.
2013 Peterbilt 367 with ISX

Thanks for any advice.
Thanks, Dustin

First of all you need to stop trusting so blindly these repair shops like that.

If you want to know how healthy your injectors are then do the proper leak-down tests and stop taking the truck to a bunch of completely clueless morons!

NEXT: After-garbage and rebuilt injectors that are not directly from the OEM manufacturer HAVE VERY HIGH CHANCES OF DESTROYING YOUR ENGINE OVER TIME!!! due to fuel impingement and other issues.

so.. my advice.. GO GET OEM INJECTORS PUT BACK INTO THAT THING AND TELL THOSE REPAIR SHOPS TO SHOVE THAT GARBAGE INJECTOR(S) UP THEIR BUMMS!.

NEXT:... is the delete programming. - more than 90%+ of all delete programming is absolutely beyond horrible and severely shortens engine and turbocharger lifespan. - again.. your putting waaay too much trust in garbage repair shops and what they do!.

Copy the program from that ecm and e-mail it to me for a review of what someone did in there, and you can go from there.

so....

=== Get that program copied out, e-mailed to me, and reviewed.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid72945

=== Start looking into replacing ALL of the repaired and/or non-oem-certified injectors that have been shoved into that engine.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...67#pid4367

=== Do an injector leak test and find out what the actual leak rate is in one minute...
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid75483

and how many miles on that fuel pump??.. when is the last time its guts were replaced?.

how does that saying go?.. you can lead the horse to the water..// or something like that.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
11-13-2023, (Subject: ISX ELECTRONIC INJECTORS QUESTION ) 
Thank you for the reply. My laptop and inline6 come in today. I will purchase insite pro so I can pull the tune and send it over. I appreciate the help.

The truck has 202,405 miles but has 21,284 hours. That will be the case with all of our trucks as they spend most of their time in the field using PTO to run the unit part of the truck and don't drive many miles.

I'm embarrassed to say, but I made the injector mistake myself. This truck was our first time doing a in-frame on a Cummins ISX and I thought i was doing a good thing by replacing the factory injectors with a new set from {non-oem company}. The worst part is, I don't think the factory injectors had any issue and I sent them in for cores.

I will do my best to figure out the insite software today and perform the tests mentioned.

Thanks again for the help!
Dustin
replyreply
(11-13-2023 )DTidwell05 Wrote:  Thank you for the reply. My laptop and inline6 come in today. I will purchase insite pro so I can pull the tune and send it over. I appreciate the help.

Insite will only save an ecm template, this is only good for things like road speed, cruise control, accelerator pedal etc. what you want is calterm. Insite is just a diagnostics software

User's Signature: You can’t buy love, but you can rent it for 3 minutes!
replyreply
(11-13-2023 )Bengy88 Wrote:  ...
Insite will only save an ecm template, this is only good for things like road speed, cruise control, accelerator pedal etc. what you want is calterm. Insite is just a diagnostics software

I am glad you posted this so quickly! I was about to waste another $1500 on software it sounds like. Thank you! Dustin
replyreply
(11-13-2023 )DTidwell05 Wrote:  ...
I am glad you posted this so quickly! I was about to waste another $1500 on software it sounds like. Thank you! Dustin

I pmd you a couple places you can find what you need ALOT cheaper than $1500.

User's Signature: You can’t buy love, but you can rent it for 3 minutes!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.