turbo failure
11-21-2023, (Subject: turbo failure ) 
turbo failure
My turbo just went out, oil was shooting into my exhaust. Turbine wheel is missing.
Is also have a code on dash. Engine speed sensor#2
My 1st question would be, how do I find the turbine wheel
Where is the #speed sensor located
And how do I clean my cac
And anything else I need to inspect as this will be my 1st time doing this.

Thanks for any help.
replyreply
RE: turbo failure
(11-21-2023 )grnnredpete12 Wrote:  My 1st question would be, how do I find the turbine wheel
You don't need to find it, it's junk and can't be reused, your going to need a whole new turbo or have your core rebuilt at YTS but either way you don't need what's left of that shaft.

The turbo speed sensor is on the turbo itself. What is the exact code that came up ? It's probably just the ECM complaining because the speed sensor got clobbered while the engine was still running.

Depending on how much oil got into it you might have to just replace the whole thing.

You'll need to drop the oil pan and get all the metal debris out. When the turbo fails like that, it sends metal debris down the turbo oil return line.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
if the exhaust turbine fell off it is likely down in the exhaust piping somewhere.

Turbo = replace with new along with the speed sensor.

If the CAC if full of oil.. if it is bad enough, then you can remove it and flush it with diesel fuel, followed by soapy water to make it safe again.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Ok. Sounds good. So I'm thinking it would be best to open the large chamber, before it goes across the driveshaft.
And thanks for the help.
replyreply
I'm not sure how much oil is in the cac. A few oz came out the cold piping over a few minutes of it hanging.
replyreply
You should pressure test that CAC. If it fails just toss it and buy a new one.

I'm not implying the turbo failure would cause the CAC to be bad. Just that if it's bad anyway(leaking) now would be a good time to replace it(genuine OEM only) and save all the effort of trying to clean it enough.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
VGT turbos do not typically fail with a turbine failure in that way very often unless it has been over-spooling.

yeah.. the bigger question is why did it fail like that to begin with.

Some history on the truck?.. miles, etc?... and is it de-mandated (deleted)?.. and if so, by who?.

how much boost does it make in a hard pull?.

What model & year engine and truck?.

etc.etc.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
11-22-2023, (Subject: turbo failure ) 
Yea what rawze said….. and now that he says that I don’t think I’ve seen any style of turbo fail in that way either on any make unless it was over spooling…. Usually from shitty programming

User's Signature: You can’t buy love, but you can rent it for 3 minutes!
replyreply
11-23-2023, (Subject: turbo failure ) 
I have had 2 x15's CM2450 come into our shop within the last 4 months with the same issue. I believe its from over spooling setup in the tuning both trucks de-mandated by the same person. Just adding our experience
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.