Peterbilt 587 starting
12-06-2023, (Subject: Peterbilt 587 starting ) 
Peterbilt 587 starting
Hey guys I 2015 pete 597 I installed new starter new batteries and still having issues with starting. Sometimes starts fine and sometimes it takes 20 tries
replyreply
RE: Peterbilt 587 starting
Correction it's 2015 pete 587
replyreply
Is this an ISX CM2350 engine?.

what is the fuel pressure while cranking in Insite say?.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
It's definitely not fuel related as it acts like it's got dead batteries. You can hear starter kick in and then it just cuts out like no power to turn
replyreply
12-07-2023, (Subject: Peterbilt 587 starting ) 
(12-06-2023 )Samj Wrote:  It's definitely not fuel related as it acts like it's got dead batteries. You can hear starter kick in and then it just cuts out like no power to turn

ahh.... remove the belts main and A/C belts) from the pulleys. See if it starts normally. Bad alternator, bad water pump, bad AC compressor, bad pulley.. etc.

Turn the engine by hand (wrench in the front of the air compressor port) and see if it is harder to turn than normal vs. other engine. If it is really hard to turn by hand then it can be something internal like broke ring, maybe spun cam bearing.. etc., or maybe the tranny/clutch, etc. hanging it up.

Turn on the headlights too,. and see if they go really dim while cranking. They should only dim slightly. Maybe bad wiring to starter, bad ground at engine block, maybe bad jumper between batteries, poor contact at posts.. etc.etc.

Also check/ensure it is not hydralocking. Any thing funny with the coolant system>?. Loosing any coolant?.

Will it pass an injector leak-down test?.

When is the last time the fuel pump was checked for internal damage?... and when is the last time its guts (tappets, rollers, plungers) were replaced?. - if that fuel pump has gone bad, it may have blasted metal shavings thu the whole engine, damaging everything and making it harder to turn over.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
12-07-2023, (Subject: Peterbilt 587 starting ) 
This is a typical pete problem. It's the starter interrupt relay behind the gauge cluster. Pete has an updated part for this. XC-JMPR is the part number for the yellow bypass relay that replaces the original black one that causes this problem.

The fuse location diagram on the back side of the fuse panel door will also have the diagram of the relays behind the gauge cluster.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JimT
12-08-2023, (Subject: Peterbilt 587 starting ) 
(12-07-2023 )tree98 Wrote:  This is a typical pete problem. It's the starter interrupt relay behind the gauge cluster. Pete has an updated part for this. XC-JMPR is the part number for the yellow bypass relay that replaces the original black one that causes this problem.

The fuse location diagram on the back side of the fuse panel door will also have the diagram of the relays behind the gauge cluster.

Any idea what model years it applies to? I have a 2012 587, though I've never had this problem nor seen any fuses or relays behind the gauge cluster on my truck.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
12-08-2023, (Subject: Peterbilt 587 starting ) 
I'm not sure how far back it goes.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
12-11-2023, (Subject: Peterbilt 587 starting ) 
(12-08-2023 )JimT Wrote:  
(12-07-2023 )tree98 Wrote:  This is a typical pete problem. It's the starter interrupt relay behind the gauge cluster. Pete has an updated part for this. XC-JMPR is the part number for the yellow bypass relay that replaces the original black one that causes this problem.

Any idea what model years it applies to? I have a 2012 587, though I've never had this problem nor seen any fuses or relays behind the gauge cluster on my truck.

There is no relays behind gauge cluster they are located behind glove box
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.