ISX "whistling" and shut down
04-23-2024, (Subject: ISX "whistling" and shut down ) 
ISX "whistling" and shut down
Good morning,
We have an ISX with issues. It started with the truck being driven into the ditch (yes, on purpose), with low fuel. What wasn't known at the time is that the fuel tanks were full of sediment. Driving it into the ditch allowed the pick up to pull sediment through the fuel lines, where a large portion of it was stuck in the first fuel filter. This resulted in the engine running okay, but will start making a whistling noise in the engine, then quit. Opening the drain on the first filter actually seems to draw in air. Cycling the key a few times to refill the system, and good to go for a few more minutes. What we've done so far:
-- Completely drained both tanks (got about a 1/2 gallon pail of sediment out of tanks)
-- Replaced all fuel lines up to the first filter, including T's
-- Issue was still present, replaced common rail high side relief valve (still had the original), which seemed to "cure" it for about 3 days, then back to the same
The low side pump has good pressure (120psi), but have not confirmed flow (if anyone has that spec, thank you)
The high pressure pump is the 3 cylinder type, and calling the dealer they say that there is an updated 2 cylinder pump that was issued due to the 3 cylinder pump causing engine failures?
Currently, the truck will run fine unloaded. I can drive it hard and no issues. However, when pulling a trailer (other than the 3 day reprieve after pressure relief replacement), it will pull for about 10-15minutes, then the "whistling" noise, and shut down. Refilling the fuel system (key cycles), and it will repeat the process.
Anyone with additional insight would be greatly appreciated, before I go ahead and replace low and high side pumps, which in Canada are ridiculously priced ($2500 for low side, and about 10k for the high side)
Thank you!
replyreply
RE: ISX "whistling" and shut down
First thing to address is that fuel pump. Good condition or bad, it's a ticking time bomb that usually fails at some point after 400,000 miles. Even the newer, updated versions are subject to failure. The problem lies in the pump head, so it's typically recommended to replace the internals of the pump head every 400,000 miles or so to prevent failure (which often leads to metal debris being sent through the engine). It's been a while since I read up on this, but I think there was a procedure to turn a 3 cylinder pump into a 2 cylinder without replacing the entire pump... but I could be wrong. All the info for that should be available on Quickserve in a TSB.

Diagnostics for the entire fuel system can be found on quickserve as well, including step by step instructions.

There's also return fuel lines from the common rail and injectors to the low pressure / filter housing and, if I remember correctly, there's a return line going to the tank(s) from there as well. I would check all those lines along with all the connection to and from the common rail.

Do you have Insite? are you able to monitor fuel pressure commanded actual? Run a fuel pressure leak down test?

Logically the low pressure side is where you'd think to look given the sediment, but it's possible the trip into the ditch resulted in damage elsewhere that you weren't aware of.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: CoroView Shop
ISX engines...

If that thing still has the old style 3-cylinder fuel pump.. it has to go ... NOW!... it should have been upgraded years ago!. .. and yes, it is a ticking time bomb ready to take out the entire engine when it fails!.

It is nothing at all to play with, or take for granted if it is still operating.

It is quite expensive (several thousand doll$$ars) to replace and upgrade too. The ehole pump needs replacing, several new fuel lines, and other components too.

Mr. Hag's shop (haggai automotive in griffin, GA) has done many of them in the past.. maybe ask him about what to do to get it done the right way.

You can thank bosch and cummins for that failed experiment of a pump for that and how expensive it is to upgrade it.

HOWEVER... It is also the truck owners fault for not upgrading it for free back when there was a proper recall campaign out on them. Cummins used to replace and upgrade them on a campaign but that has long since past,.. and now you have to buy everything.

That pump LITERALLY DESTROYS THE ENTIRE ENGINE WITH ZERO WARNING when it fails, and nothing whatsoever in that engine can be saved when it happens. The entire engine and all its lubricated components becomes a boat anchor and has to go to a scrap yard.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
04-24-2024, (Subject: ISX "whistling" and shut down ) 
Alright, thanks guys. I was kinda leaning that way as to replacing the 3 cylinder pump, but needed a little extra to convince the boss it was a good idea. I'll let you know what happens!
replyreply
not sure what the US - Canadian currency conversion is currently, but back in 2020 I paid about $4,000 USD for a new fuel pump.

Also, Rawze didn't mention, but you also need a new bracket to support the 2 piston pump.

On Quickserve you should be able to pull up:

Installation Instruction Number: 4907962 Released Date: 19-jan-2011
Two-Cylinder High-Pressure Fuel Pump Assembly

which includes a list of the needed parts. If you don't have an account it's free to sign up with a single ESN

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
(04-24-2024 )JimT Wrote:  not sure what the US - Canadian currency conversion is currently, but back in 2020 I paid about $4,000 USD for a new fuel pump.

Also, Rawze didn't mention, but you also need a new bracket to support the 2 piston pump.

On Quickserve you should be able to pull up:

Installation Instruction Number: 4907962 Released Date: 19-jan-2011
Two-Cylinder High-Pressure Fuel Pump Assembly

which includes a list of the needed parts. If you don't have an account it's free to sign up with a single ESN

Awesome, thanks for the info! Very glad I found this site!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.