ISX CM 871 intermittent smoke
09-24-2016, (Subject: ISX CM 871 intermittent smoke ) 
ISX CM 871 intermittent smoke
i have an isx cm871 in my 2009 peterbilt. i have intermittent turbo " cough" and an occasional white smoke smelling like fuel. it seems to be overfueling occasionally. i have replaced 3 turbos, all timing and metering selenoids, injectors, complete genuine cummins overhaul, head rebuilt, imapsensor, exhaust back pressure sensor, and delta p sensor. dpf has been cleaned and baked. had it dyno'd at kenworth nad they said all is good, had a mechanic data log it on a trip and send results to cummins and they said its ok. but i know that this engine shouldnt smoke and i know what over fueling smells like. HELP!!!
the ecm did need 7 updates and those were done earlier this week. no codes on the dash.
replyreply
RE: ISX CM 871 intermittent smoke
Doser valve leaking? Have you changed it?
Or fuel cutoff valve to the doser. What is the pressure reading to the doser befor and after regen?
replyreply
I'm thinking doser too... I know when I replaced mine, it was shot. And the lines can be a bit fragile too. There was a core charge of $55, and the doser had been redesigned from the one I had taken off. The doser is located under and behind the turbo. You DO NOT have to remove the turbo to get to it. It was not to bad to get too.

If it is bad, and leaking fuel, I would imagine the DPF DOC faces are a mess. I had fuel in mine... No idea if they can be saved if they are loaded with diesel, mine cracked.

If that is the case, having been through DPF/DOC can issues, might be time to rid yourself of the mandate. At the time, I could not afford new cans at $7000... I had no choice, get rid of the mandate or file for bankruptcy. It was an easy decision at that point... Would I rid myself of the mandate again? Yes, and I would have done it sooner. The bad emissions cost me tens of thousands of dollars in lost revenue due to breakdowns and also the wasted fuel. With mandate, it was 4.5 mpg... After mandate removal, we went to 7 mpg, and this is when fuel was near that $3 - $4 a gallon range. You do the math.

I hope it is nothing serious, brighter minds will chime in, Good LUCK!
replyreply
I was going to say dozer valve too. If that is what the problem is ....boy...you sure spent a lot of money on parts. Makes me want to hang out at the dumpster at the dealership and get my parts for all the good ones they throw away.
replyreply
wouldn't over fueling be black smoke?
I would thing white smoke is coolant
replyreply
(09-24-2016 )deepster77 Wrote:  i have an isx cm871 in my 2009 peterbilt. i have intermittent turbo " cough" and an occasional white smoke smelling like fuel. it seems to be overfueling occasionally. i have replaced 3 turbos, all timing and metering selenoids, injectors, complete genuine cummins overhaul, head rebuilt, imapsensor, exhaust back pressure sensor, and delta p sensor. dpf has been cleaned and baked. had it dyno'd at kenworth nad they said all is good, had a mechanic data log it on a trip and send results to cummins and they said its ok. but i know that this engine shouldnt smoke and i know what over fueling smells like. HELP!!!
the ecm did need 7 updates and those were done earlier this week. no codes on the dash.

All those new parts and your still letting the soot eat the insides of that engine again just like the first time around like an acid? -- What a shame.

Either get a bypass filter on it and learn to take care of that truck yourself, or get it de-mandated asap.

Wasting all those tens of thousands of dollars at the stealerships only puts you deeper in debt. it is no way to own a truck at all, because you will never have anything to show for it.

I PM'd you my number.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.