2022 X15 Constant Regen
12-22-2023, (Subject: 2022 X15 Constant Regen ) 
2022 X15 Constant Regen
Hey guys,

One of our newer trucks is a 2022 Kenworth T880 with 136k miles on it. Purchased the truck at 80k miles, all Cummins extended warranties in effect. Around 90k, we had an EGR cooler fail and replaced under warranty at Cummins.

Within the last 6 months or 20k miles, it's been doing what seems to be a regen quite a bit when driving around town. RPMs are raised to 800, turbo is spooling, exhaust is hot, etc. No lights on dash or codes thrown.

The issue is this truck is doing this most of the time, regardless of duty cycle. It is a rolloff (garbage dumpster truck) but does 70% of its time on the interstate. Even our residential packers in stop and go duty cycle don't regen this much.

Had a friend of mine who is experienced with these engines plug into it and he can't find anything wrong at all. Any ideas where I can start looking to try and solve this issue on our own? I have access to Insite software if that helps in the diagnosis process.

Thank you!
replyreply
12-22-2023, (Subject: 2022 X15 Constant Regen ) 
RE: 2022 X15 Constant Regen
On the surface, it sounds like the DPF delta P sensor is acting up in range and/or its tubes are clogged.. It tells the ECM when the DPF needs to regen (about every 100-105 engine hours). Check the regen history on Insite it'll show you the last 10 regen cycles, screenshot and post on here if you can. If the pressure is above 3+ inhg consistently, might be just time to service the system.. Any excessive oil, fuel, coolant consumption lately, boost, exhaust leaks? It will exacerbate the regen cycles more..
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Bengy88 , Rawze , schISM
12-23-2023, (Subject: 2022 X15 Constant Regen ) 
(12-22-2023 )marek4792 Wrote:  On the surface, it sounds like the DPF delta P sensor is acting up in range and/or its tubes are clogged.. It tells the ECM when the DPF needs to regen (about every 100-105 engine hours). Check the regen history on Insite it'll show you the last 10 regen cycles, screenshot and post on here if you can. If the pressure is above 3+ inhg consistently, might be just time to service the system.. Any excessive oil, fuel, coolant consumption lately, boost, exhaust leaks? It will exacerbate the regen cycles more..

Thank you, I'll look up the regen history in Insite and see what it is telling me
replyreply
Why was the egr cooler replaced? Was it leaking coolant internally? If so there could be damage to the dpf from all the coolant that went through it.

And speaking of that, who determined the egr cooler was bad? And also how did they determine it ? The dealers love to blame those for failing but honestly they are tough as nails these days.

If your using coolant (even a small amount) but you can't find the leak, it could be something like a bad injector cup leaking into the combustion chamber and getting burned. This will cause excessive regens and damage to the dpf. And if the source of the coolant wasn't a bad egr cooler then your still burning it and that's a problem.

If nobody bothered to check the dpf after the egr cooler was replaced then that's what needs to happen. I don't care what the differential pressure is. You need to actually remove the dpf and post pictures of the face on here.

And on a side note, you mentioned a warranty..... the next time I buy a new truck I'm going to tell the salesman I don't want any warranty whatsoever in exchange for a discount of some sort on the truck. That's how much faith I put in those useless warranties, they are a false sense of security and a good way to cost you a LOT more money in down time and bad repairs that either need to be re done or will contribute to shortened engine life due to the jackassery of these undertrained dealer idiots who worked at Walmart last week and this week are inframing your engine!!..... End of rant

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , marek4792 , Bengy88 , Pd6cas2 , hhow55
(12-23-2023 )tree98 Wrote:  Why was the egr cooler replaced? Was it leaking coolant internally? If so there could be damage to the dpf from all the coolant that went through it.

And speaking of that, who determined the egr cooler was bad? And also how did they determine it ? The dealers love to blame those for failing but honestly they are tough as nails these days.

If your using coolant (even a small amount) but you can't find the leak, it could be something like a bad injector cup leaking into the combustion chamber and getting burned. This will cause excessive regens and damage to the dpf. And if the source of the coolant wasn't a bad egr cooler then your still burning it and that's a problem.

If nobody bothered to check the dpf after the egr cooler was replaced then that's what needs to happen. I don't care what the differential pressure is. You need to actually remove the dpf and post pictures of the face on here.

And on a side note, you mentioned a warranty..... the next time I buy a new truck I'm going to tell the salesman I don't want any warranty whatsoever in exchange for a discount of some sort on the truck. That's how much faith I put in those useless warranties, they are a false sense of security and a good way to cost you a LOT more money in down time and bad repairs that either need to be re done or will contribute to shortened engine life due to the jackassery of these undertrained dealer idiots who worked at Walmart last week and this week are inframing your engine!!..... End of rant

just to add to this epic rant let us know why egr was replaced if coolant went threw combustion the inlet nox senor right after the turbo will need to be cleaned that pipe from after the diesel doser to the doc will have to be removed and the doc checked, it make need a face cleaning or its restricted then the dpf needs to be inspected as well. the differential pressure sensors all have upgraded larger tubing now you dont see alot of them plugging anymore. if the inlet nox in is not reading right because of contamination it will throw off the whole system.
replyreply
12-27-2023, (Subject: 2022 X15 Constant Regen ) 
Did they clean the other EGR components after the EGR cooler replacement. Like others are saying the soot/coolant mixture is sticky and makes a mess of everything. The EGR DP/EGR temp could be reading incorrectly which will start "the soot train" (credit Rawze for the name)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
12-27-2023, (Subject: 2022 X15 Constant Regen ) 
How many hours? If this has always been a refuse truck miles don't mean much. Does your regen history match up with what you are observing? If any excess hydrocarbons like oil or fuel are getting into the exhaust that will light up the DOC and build heat just like an active regen. . It can get hot enough to turn on the High Exhaust Temp dash light. As others mentioned the EGR valve could be sticking. That can make the engine run rich creating way too much soot. Same with faulty sensors or plugged EGRDP ports. If you drop the cans run the engine so you can get a look at the unfiltered exhaust. The DPF can hide upstream issues.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.