Turbo Actuator code
09-26-2016, (Subject: Turbo Actuator code ) 
Turbo Actuator code
Ok, here's the story.... 2009 Pete, ISX engine. Recently started dropping a Check engine, Turbo Actuator. Note: code only appears after engine temp is 160 or higher.

Background: Replaced Turbo, actuator and EGR cooler @ Cummins NW about 15 months ago. They performed an EGR clean out. Last fall, replaced DPF. Last month, new DPF injector.

Performed EGR tune up but only replaced Delta P sensor (Thanks for the vids, BTW). Intake pipe was filthy. Code remains and prevents Regen.

Please keep in mind that I do NOT have an Insite program and I can't afford one. I have about $1k left in maintenance accounts. I'm a west coast runner, so a delete is not an option. :dodgy:

Should I go ahead and start replacing the sensors or is there any tests I (a shade tree mech) could run to pin them down?

Thanks in advance.
replyreply
RE: Turbo Actuator code
I'm sorry, just remembered some likely questions: 610k miles, 2nd hand truck (from JBS). Normal to low idle (maybe 1-2 hr per day to make coffee or dinner), however it's been a summer from Hades out west this year.
replyreply
So you would rather go broke than fix the truck is what your saying?
Don't take this the wrong way friend. I'm not trying to be a ass or anything but if your worried about where you run, maybe you should change lanes . I run with a west coast carrier as well and haven't stepped foot in California in over 2 years. Not that I'm worried about it or anything but the rates suck down there most of the time anyway.
As far as the codes you have, did they change the actuator at the same time? I'm in spokane and will let you use my insite if you need it but I really think you should consider a different business plan if what your doing isn't working for you. Just saying. P.m me your number and we can talk. Good luck friend.
replyreply
(09-26-2016 )dbl overdrive Wrote:  So you would rather go broke than fix the truck is what your saying?
Don't take this the wrong way friend. I'm not trying to be a ass or anything but if your worried about where you run, maybe you should change lanes . I run with a west coast carrier as well and haven't stepped foot in California in over 2 years. Not that I'm worried about it or anything but the rates suck down there most of the time anyway.
As far as the codes you have, did they change the actuator at the same time? I'm in spokane and will let you use my insite if you need it but I really think you should consider a different business plan if what your doing isn't working for you. Just saying. P.m me your number and we can talk. Good luck friend.

Appreciate what your saying, but let's concentrate on the fixing the rig 1st... ;-) Good natured humor aside, yes Cummins replaced the actuator and turbo.

After the rig is fixed, I'd be delighted to discuss alternate lanes!
replyreply
what is the code exactly? do you have any numbers like sid fmi, or flash code numbers? knowing the exact fault code is a good place to start and for others to help you
replyreply
No actual numbers, but on Pete display :check engine (yellow), diag faults found, turbo actuator.
replyreply
palazon what state are you near Im sure someone on here will hook up to it with insite and retrieve the code.
replyreply
09-27-2016, (Subject: Turbo Actuator code ) 
I go all over but also run in Cali every week from top to bottom and even go into the ports. I took mine all the way to atlanta and had it mm 2 and even met rawze when i was there and could never be more happy. Didnt want to waste the fuel but it was worth every cent. Never had an issue with inspections and they have even tested my truck ant it passes with flying colors. Its been de-mandated for a few years now and i have not met anyone who actually had a problem with it as long as it was a MM-style stealth delete and not one of those crap ones where they take stuff off or put plates. I hear that tune even pass the sniffer tests with flying colors in NJ.

I was showing a friend your post. he laughed and tole me back that more than 40% of O/O trucks on the roads are de-mandated now. That is the only way they are keeping these newer junk on the roads any more and i wont run a treuck any more with that crap knocking me down no way any more.
replyreply
09-27-2016, (Subject: Turbo Actuator code ) 
(09-26-2016 )Palazon Wrote:  Ok, here's the story.... 2009 Pete, ISX engine. Recently started dropping a Check engine, Turbo Actuator. Note: code only appears after engine temp is 160 or higher.

Background: Replaced Turbo, actuator and EGR cooler @ Cummins NW about 15 months ago. They performed an EGR clean out. Last fall, replaced DPF. Last month, new DPF injector.

Performed EGR tune up but only replaced Delta P sensor (Thanks for the vids, BTW). Intake pipe was filthy. Code remains and prevents Regen.

Please keep in mind that I do NOT have an Insite program and I can't afford one. I have about $1k left in maintenance accounts. I'm a west coast runner, so a delete is not an option. :dodgy:

Should I go ahead and start replacing the sensors or is there any tests I (a shade tree mech) could run to pin them down?

Thanks in advance.

Someone needs to pull the actuator off and give it a thorough inspection and stop guessing like a bunch of diddle-dong morons.

You also need to stop wasting your money on those same waste-your-time idiots you have been taking it to as well. They are only there to take every penny you are making and sell you expensive repairs that solve almost nothing. The OEM network of repair shops in this country is nothing but a collection of over-priced Deplorable idiots at best!.

Some Direction to go in,...

* Inspect the turbo thoroughly.

* Replace the IMAP sensor
* Replace the Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor (Exhaust back pressure sensor) and ensure the tube feeding it is not clogged.

* Check the wiring for the turbo and the communications for J1939 Port#2 (the engine and turbo port).

Have it MM-2 'd OR...
==== IF YOUR NOT GOING TO MM-2 it and keep the mandate -- Also ...

* Replace the Delta-P sensor and clean out the tubes (sound like you did that one).

* ENSURE you have no gasket leaks at the exhaust manifold, EGR cooler, Intake, CAC, Boots, EGR Valve, Venturi pipe, Crossover Tubes, etc. etc. and inspect the boots in the EGR piping that wraps around the back of the engine.

Since you say someone replaced the EGR cooler,.. I can only assume you had a leak. BECAUSE OF THIS, YOU SHOULD ALSO...

* ENSURE 100% WITHOUT QUESTIONS--- THAT IT IS AN OEM COOLER AND NOT AN AFTER-MARKET EGR COOLER!.

* Remove and clean out and inspect (or replace if it has more than 400k miles on it) the EGR Valve.

* SINCE YOU HAD COOLANT LEAK IN EGR COOLER -- REPLACE THE F4$$KING DOC filter too! -- It likely has had all its chemicals/platinum washed out of it and is no good any more!. Do not get a re-man DOC either, they have very little platinum in them. (Personally I think most would go the much cheaper route and de-mandate (MM) it instead of wasting a couple thousand more dollars on yet another over-priced emissions component that is only going to fail again in in a year or 2).

* While your at it,... TAKE PICTURES of their faces and post them here. A Picture of the face of them is worth 10,000 words.

* Get the actual Active AND Inactive cummins fault codes that rare coming up and post those too!. TAKE PICTURES of the active AND INACTIVE faults it has and POST THEM on here. $300 bucks off e-bay and you can get your own Insite and do all your own work on the truck,.. stop wasting money and jumping over a dollar to grab a dime. you are only headed down the road towards going out of business in the path you have taken so far.

* STOP bitching you ain't got no money! -- You are the one who put yourself in that situation and no one else!-- If you had done a lot more research and had made much better decisions BEFORE you decided to own a truck, you would not be in the shoes you are in now. I see it over and over and over etc. -- People go out and get their own EGR/DPF-Based truck,.. and HAVE NO ABSOLUTE CLUE HOW TO ACTUALLY OWN ONE! -- OR HOW TO MAKE WISE BUSINESS DECISIONS towards maintaining them!--- Then go broke and only after THEY ARE DESPERATE-- Will they suddenly see that they are completely clueless and have been doing nothing but making bad decisions. -- I bet there's 50 people on this forum every day that could take YOUR TRUCK and take your runs and freight and MAKE IT PROFITABLE!. -- You need to ask yourself -- "How Can I Do That TOO!?".

* Well,.. I AM POSTING LOUDLY AT YOU and telling you THAT YOU CAN!-- and trying to help you but you gotta change lanes instead of continuing down the path of "brokeness" like you have been on.

* You also need to ENSURE that the right program is in your truck!. A LOT of trucks will give turbo faults and/or DPF and regen faults/problems of someone has altered the factory program and put a higher HP program in it. it is way too common. Here is more info on how to check that... http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1

* You need to ensure the turbo you have is not a CHINESE FAKE -- or Something some local shop re-built. Thay are notorious for acting up.

* POST on here the regen history from Insite. take a picture with your phone and post it.

=============

To sum it up,...
Turbo Actuator and other turbo related issues are THE RESULT of any of the following on a stock, emissions engine ...

* A Failing turbo, actuator, and/or turbo sensor (intake temp sensor or speed sensor).

* The wiring for the turbo and/or the communications for J1939 Port#2 (the engine and turbo port) is failing.

* A failing Emissions system where you have too much exhaust back-pressure. Clogging DPF and/or DOC and/or SCR can.

* Faulty sensor data for the intake, EGR, or exhaust.

* EGR Valve is sticking/positioning incorrectly and it is trying to overcome it.

* Massive leak in the Intake, CAC, EGR, and/or Exhaust manifold circuits.
=========

What I would do in your shoes -- Either take a load to Atlanta (or bobtail it and put a sign on it "not for hire" ) and get it MM-2 and fixed right once in for all (you should be lucky you can even drive it, many people can't even make it to go get it fixed right when it gets bad enough). OR-- Get really brave and buy an Inline from china and Do the de-mandate yourself if you are computer savvy.

OR...

Do all the things I mentioned above to get that system back in good running order and do it yourself, because it is GOING TO DO IT AGAIN in about a half a year if you don't keep after it and keep those systems well maintained BEFORE the check-engine lights start coming on.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.