2016 ISX15 Cummins Fuel issue?
02-03-2024, (Subject: 2016 ISX15 Cummins Fuel issue? ) 
2016 ISX15 Cummins Fuel issue?
I have a 2016 389 Peterbilt with a ISX15 cummins. this truck is deleted. Started out with the truck acting as though it gelled up during our cold spell. I took the truck to our local cummins guys shop here, He plugged it in and had the dreaded 559 code, ran some tests, found injectors passed, said it was the fuel pump, so he replaced it.
Truck ran fine for 2 or 3 days, then the problem came back, throwing the same code. I looked into a few things, changed filters again, and took it for a ride (bobtail). the problem came back, with the code ,around 30 minutes into the drive. It acts as though you are slowly turning a ball valve off for the fuel, it wont completely die, but barley will will go down the road, seems you can pedal it a bit, and kinda get it going again, but its not right.
I brought it back, changed the poppet valve on the rail, as well as the rail sensor, same result, only now, no code.
came back, checked stand pipes in both tanks, checked vents in tanks ( can blow right thru them), plugged off fuel lines and ran on each tank individually, with the same result each time, 30 minutes or so in, it acts up, again, no codes. checked Davco filter out, pulled the lines and fittings off and checked to make sure there was nothing blocking them, nothing. I cant physically see anything leaking either. I pulled the banjo fitting off the pump, to check if there was anything in the screen there, nothing. Finally took the ECM out of my other truck ( twin truck, 2 serial #s apart) put it in this one, and test drove, same result.
Had a tech come and plug truck in, ran injector test( a bit violent) and they all passed. we left his computer hooked to the rig, and went for a ride, an hour plus, stopped, shut truck off and rolled on, do you think this dang thing would act up, nope, ran great the whole time. he un hooked and left. I let the truck run on high idle( 1000 rpm) in front of my shop, 20 mins, and it completely died! Started it back up, put it inside. Im at my witts end here! Please Help!!
thanks
replyreply
RE: 2016 ISX15 Cummins Fuel issue?
Why did he replace the entire pump?? EXACTLY what happened to the pump?? When these pumps fail they send metal debris throughout the entire engine.

The only way to save the engine is if you catch it early(like within a couple hundred miles of failure) and then flush the engine out numerous times with a mixture of diesel and engine oil, change all the bearings, probably the injectors too.

If your pump failed completely and all that guy did was put a new pump on and sent you down the road....... your engine might literally be a boat anchor at this point since you have continued to drive it and push metal fragments all through the oil circuits.

This is a very well known issue with the common rail ISX's. The high pressure fuel pumps need to be rebuilt every 400k miles to avoid these problems.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
This all happened in the last 2 weeks here. No, he never took the pump apart. He just replaced it. He replaced it , I assume, because the injectors tested out ok, and it had the 559 code, this engine has about 50k miles since an overhaul has been done, I sure as hell hope there is no damage.
replyreply
Those pumps are about 5 or 6 thousand dollars. Your saying he just threw a brand new one on without ever checking the old one for damage?

replyreply
That pump cost me $4200.00, yes, thats exactly what we have here.
replyreply
How many miles were on that pump ?

Can you get the old pump from him so you can check it out?

If not, your gonna need to drop the oil pan and take a crank bearing off and look for damage. You'll see metal in the bottom of the pan too, you'll probably see some when you drain the oil

I hope this isn't your problem but you need to know definitively whether or not that pump failed catastrophically.

replyreply
That Pump had 650k on it for Miles. Im trying to find out if he took the pump apart. I know the ones ive seen had been worn, like the cam and rollers had some wear spots in them, havent seen or heard of one exploding pieces into the engine though. This truck ran just fine on the way to the shop to get it checked out, like I said, the problem was intermittent from the get go, even before the fuel pump was replaced.
I took the pump back to the parts stealer for the core charge, I should check to see if its still there, pull the head.

Rebuilding or replacing a fuel pump on a rig with 400k on it, seems a bit fugged to me.
replyreply
02-04-2024, (Subject: 2016 ISX15 Cummins Fuel issue? ) 
Well if you don't believe me there's plenty of information on this forum. Here's a sample.

https://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?...9#pid15389

https://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=7740

replyreply
02-04-2024, (Subject: 2016 ISX15 Cummins Fuel issue? ) 
The shop that originally did the pump is taking it back, no labor charge. I truly believe we have a failing injector here. It has been made clear that I don't want a set of injectors thrown at it for a" let's try this " move. That's big coin.
These are the first trucks I've owned with the def system on them. I've NEVER had issue and spent more $$ on a pair of trucks. I'll be selling both and going back ...

{rest of post deleted by rawze... garbage-can attitude remarks}
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.