Chevron Delo product line changes
03-29-2024, (Subject: Chevron Delo product line changes ) 
Chevron Delo product line changes
TLDR: Delo 400 SDE is discontinued, replaced by Delo 400 XLE SB (syn blend)

So, I recently ordered more of my usual engine oil Chevron Delo 400 SDE. First I tried Walmart which has historically been the cheapest source. They were out. Ended up finding a not as great deal on Amazon. Received that today, but instead of the advertised Delo 400 SDE the actual product was Delo 400 XLE SB (the SB indicates that it's a syn blend). The seller and Amzaon labels were for SDE so I set up a return with Amazon and ordered it again from a different seller. That should arrive tomorrow. Of course I had to shop around some more so I check Fleetpride and Napa. That's when I noticed they both no longer listed Delo 400 SDE as a product, only the XLE, but the XLE pictures were for the old SDE.

This got me curious and after a quick google search it seems Chevron has dropped conventional oil completely from their Delo lineup. Basically going from 4 different product offerings to 2. Supposedly the Delo 400 XLE SB is the equivalent replacement and is now being sold at the same price as the discontinued SDE. While price is always a consideration, performance and reliability are more important. As is sticking with the same product.

From https://www.government-fleet.com/1021293...oduct-line:
Quote:Chevron announced plans to simplify its Delo Heavy Duty Engine Oil (HDEO) product line by focusing its portfolio on synthetic blend and full synthetic products.

This move is designed to ensure fleet customers have access to reliable product supply and competitively aligned and priced synthetic blend and synthetic options.

In a rolling transition beginning in January 2024, Chevron will sunset three HDEO products:

Delo 400 SDE SAE 10W-30.
Delo 400 SDE SAE 15W-40.
Delo 400 XLE SAE15W-40.
They will be replaced with Delo 400 XLE SB SAE 15W-40, a new high-performing synthetic blend. This new, high-quality synthetic blend will complement Chevron’s existing Delo 400 XLE 10W-30.

Chevron’s new streamlined portfolio of synthetic blend and synthetic products can be used in all applications where Chevron’s conventional heavy duty engine oils were used.

That brings me to the main question: What are the any advantages or downsides to switching to the new Delo 400 XLE SB. Should I just get on the bandwagon (not that there is much choice, the SDE has been discontinued since about January 2024) or should I consider a switch to a different brand altogether? Supposedly Chevron will be "upgrading" their budget oil brand "Ursa" (possibly just migrating the Delo 400 SDE to that product line instead, as that would logically be cheaper then developing a new product). According to the article that I read at https://www.ccjdigital.com/maintenance/o...iesel-line:

Quote:Ursa, Chevron’s budget-friendly brand, will also undergo a change mid-January – rather an upgrade/update. Ursa, which will remain a mineral based conventional, will be API CK-4 certified and Cummins CES 20086, Detroit Diesel DFS 93K222, Mack EOS-4.5 and Volvo VDS-4.5 compliant.

I'm not sure how it compares to the old Delo 400 SDE 15w40. A new datasheet from Chevron dated for tomorrow (3/30/2024) for the Ursa Super Plus EC 15w40 product is available here: https://cglapps.chevron.com/sdspds/PDSDe...Format=PDF

I can't find the data sheet for Delo 400 SDE but I did find these analysis: http://pqiadata.org/Chevron_Delo_15W40_4192017.html
and:
https://pqia.org/chevron-delo-400-sde-sa...ine-oil-2/

also from that site:
https://pqia.org/shell-rotella-t4-sae-15...ngine-oil/
https://pqia.org/mobil-delvac-1300-super/

This Ursa product isn't as easy to find as Delo, but it's cost appears to be similar to the sale/discount prices that I used to be able to find for the Delo 400 SDE. That is, about $17-20/gal, available in 5 or 55 gallon, plus shipping.

As I don't know anything about the Ursa product line nor the "new" formulation mentioned, I'm searching for additional information and/or guidance. My engine, a 2012 cm2250, is demandated with about 200,000 miles since it's inframe (about 784,000 lifetime miles). I go through up to about 1 gallon every 15,000 miles (usually closer to 3/4 gal. Current oil was about 1/2 gal down at the 12,000mi mark), some burned, some from minor leaks. Also, I add 1 gallon of gear lube each oil change. Currently using the Traveler brand from Tractor Supply due to repeated supply issues with the Walmart SuperTech that I used to use. Any thoughts?

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
RE: Chevron Delo product line changes
You could always do some oil sampling and watch iron levels in particular ... both before the switch and after and see if there is a difference.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT
yes, I sample at every oil change, so I have lots of data to reference. It'll be easy to see any significant changes due to differences in oil. I'm guessing that other then the mix of conventional and synthetic there's only minimal changes to the overall formula. But that's just a guess.

I'm mostly concerned about any pro's or con's going from conventional oil to a synthetic blend. Especially with the gear oil I add and the lack of aftertreatment components. If I remember your oil thread correctly (it's been a while since I read through it) the biggest reason to stay with conventional was the cost difference, unless you operated in a climate that benefited from the synthetic.

If there's no significant differences on paper then I'll just stay with the delo brand and use the new 400 XLE SB and monitor the results.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
03-30-2024, (Subject: Chevron Delo product line changes ) 
So I went back through Rawze's Technical Discussion threads where I thought the topic of conventional vs synthetic oil was addressed and couldn't find anything. All great info there, just not what I thought I remembered pertaining to this topic.

So, that really brings me back to the questions at the heart of this topic:

1) Assuming cost is not a factor and ignoring any claims of extending drain intervals, are there any Pro's or Con's to a synthetic or synthetic blend vs a conventional oil where both are advertised as 15w40?

2) I currently use 1 gal of 80w90 gear lube with 10 gal conventional oil each oil change. When switching to a synthetic or, as would be the case here, a synthetic blend should I stay with the current 80w90 or switch to an 85w140 or even create some custom blend of the 2?

As for the question of formula, additives, etc... I'll wait for oil samples to compare and evaluate if any changes need to be made there. I have a few unopened gallons of Delo 400 SDE on my shelf, I might pull virgin samples of that and the new Delo 400 XLE SB, along with virgin samples of the gear lube just to see where the baseline is, but that will have to wait until I can get more sample containers.

replyreply
It's oil just pour it in and drive.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT , DVT873
thanks tree. I'm just fairly ignorant on synthetic oils and blends. Just trying to learn what I can ahead of time so I can make informed decisions and my ignorance doesn't bite me in the ass down the line.

Right now i manged to find 10 gallons of the SDE so I'll use that for my upcoming oil change next weekend. That should put my next drain around mid to late May which will give me time to learn more. And no, for many things I don't like change. I like to find something that works right and then stick with it.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.