Spn 157 FMI 15
04-05-2024, (Subject: Spn 157 FMI 15 ) 
Spn 157 FMI 15
My son has the truck, 2014 Kenworth W900 used 2011 Cummins ISX installed by previous owner in 2021.
Engine Overhauled last year due to cratered fuel pump.
He bought the truck in Feb of this year. It had been standing since July.
Had new injectors installed by the folks that replaced the engine in 2021 (pure coincidence that we went to them).
Put in the rings in the injectors (not sure what to call them so hope you understand)
Replaced fuel filter and separator.
Replaced Relief valve on the rail.
After each of these changes the truck ran for upto 250KM (150 miles) and then the code came back.
Each time this code comes up he loses the throttle.
Mechanic figured the cause was high fuel rail pressure causing him to lose the throttle. It would come back after a few seconds.
Actuator was replaced on the fuel pump (newer type without the ceramics in it)
Truck ran for 3 days and now code is back.
Truck has deletes and was (apparently) tuned at some point for higher HP, 620hp.
He has been told that if the code is cleared the ecm will default to 30000 psi and not keep dropping it to 25000psi. Not sure about that statement and we do not yet have the means to clear the code.
I bought an inline 6 and software but the software will not install correctly. Waiting on support from the supplier but not holding out much hope.
Thoughts and next steps?
replyreply
RE: Spn 157 FMI 15
Something sounds a little off about what your saying...

what was the old engine ser#?

what is the replacement engine ser#?.

Start by assuming the delete program is bad. More than 90%+ of all of them that I review every year are, + are harmful to the engine, its turbo, the fuel pump, etc... ... so copy the program out of the ecm and e-mail it to me for a review of what someone did in there.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid72945

.. and if some complete yahoo set it at 620+ HP... then that also has to go!. Adding big ding-dong power like that is nothing but a short lived garbage fantasy that will serve no purpose other than to cost you a $25,000+ inframe every few years.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
79680337 is the old engine #
79461627 Is the new one but I might have them transposed.
The engine thats in there now is a 2011
replyreply
I cant get the ecm info because I cannot get the software to run correctly. Mismatch between insite data packages and software versions and I have run out of ideas to fix it.
Unless its a different package that can read the ecm outside of insite?
replyreply
What sort of cost and time is involved in de-tuning it?
Can it be done remotely?
replyreply
04-06-2024, (Subject: Spn 157 FMI 15 ) 
(04-05-2024 )Bexie Wrote:  79680337 is the old engine #
79461627 Is the new one but I might have them transposed.
The engine thats in there now is a 2011

79680337 = ISX,CM2350-X101, CPL3939,EF10067 (built initially in 2013)

79461627 = ISX,CM2250,CPL3606,CL10110 (built initially in 2011)

These 2 engines are NOT THE SAME!.

Sounds to me like yet another hack-job engine swap.

and NO.. the emissions systems are NOT compatible ... nor is any of the engine's internal hardware, etc. between the 2 engines.

What ecm was used to run the replacement engine?. The CM2350 ecm? .. or the CM2250 ecm and some being a complete idiot re-wiring everything the hard way?.

What turbo was used?... the one for the 2011 CM2250?.. or the one that was on the CM2350 that came out of it?.

What injectors, or other components that have gotten swapped?.

=============

I am not an advocate of putting the wrong model engine into a truck, as it is inherently illegal in many countries, ... but What SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED towards doing things correctly is this...

The original ecm (from the CM2350) and wiring harness should have been kept and re-used onto the replacement engine.

I think there is one fuel pressure sensor that also needs to be swapped as well, because the connector will not plug into the older engine's fuel pressure sensor.

ALL of the CM2250 engine components needs to be kept original, including its VGT turbo and injectors, etc. otherwise.

Then a custom program written so that CM2350 ecm can run that CM2250 engine properly... this before any delete changes takes place. The compression ratio is completely different, injectors and injector trim logic is completely different, fuel-air-mix requirements are different, injection timing is different, fuel quantities, etc. are different, etc. - IE.> A whole host of things that need to be re-programmed into the ecm to get it to run that older CM2250 engine 100% correctly.

All injector trim codes need to be determined and set/programmed into the CM2350 ecm after this as well.

- It is highly doubtful that anyone did this, as I have never met ANYONE yet outside of myself so far that has even come close to re-programming the ecm to run a different model engine 100% properly. Also, the red engine maker does not make any programs for a CM2350 ecm to run a CM2250 engine (or vice versa) either.

It also needs to be de-mandated properly on top of this, as that CM2250 engine is not going to run that CM2350 emissions system properly,.... nor will it be legal even if someone tried to any ways. The only way to make the vehicle compliant and legal would be to swap ALL of the CM2250 emissions systems, controllers, components, etc. along with the engine swap and also register the vehicle as a glider at that point... which no one is actually going to do. Its too much effort, headaches, and expense.

Like I said .. copy the program from the ecm and e-mail it to me for a review and to see if it was done correctly.. of which I seriously doubt, as I do not have any record of doing an engine with either of those ser#'s myself.. and there is not likely anyone else that would be able to do, or have taken the time to do all of the things required to get it right any ways.

- What a clusterf$uck, redneck hack-job you have on your hands there, is all I can say ... and if some yahoo has swapped the ecm over and/or swapped hardware like injectors, turbo (or far worse, removed the VGT all together), or swapped other components, then this exponentially complicates things, and makes them a whole eh#ell of a lot worse!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ktblogistics
How do I email you?
replyreply
(04-06-2024 )Bexie Wrote:  How do I email you?

I PM'd you my email address and also my number so that you can call me to discuss your situation further if you like.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.