CUMMINS ISL CM2150 cranks sensor relearn?? Complete power loss & stalls
04-12-2024, (Subject: CUMMINS ISL CM2150 cranks sensor relearn?? Complete power loss & stalls ) 
CUMMINS ISL CM2150 cranks sensor relearn?? Complete power loss & stalls
2009 Cummins ISL CM2150/Allison 3000: After driving my coach until warm and heading up a grade it completely loses all power like you turned the key off while driving and shuts off once stopped. No codes stored. I've tried cleaning and tightening all major power and ground connections, replaced the drive by wire accelerator pedal, new fuel filters multiple times, new coolant level sensor(was leaking coolant into the connector), new ignition switch, replaced all fuses, disconnected & reconnected Cummins ECU & Allison TCU. I figured I would throw a genuine Cummins crank sensor at it since I need to go on a 3 hour mountain trip this Sunday morning. It is a superceeded Cummins part number which I verified on quickserve to be correct, but now I have a check engine light coming on intermittently at idle for DTC:2321 Engine crankshaft speed data erratic, intermittent or incorrect. I have two questions #1 Has anyone experienced a no code dead pedal shut down, I think the Allison transmission may be keeping the engine turning until I come to a stop, then the tach drops to zero. It restarts immediately, not a loss of fuel. Do these Cummins engine require any kind of reset or relearn after crank sensor replacement? Thanks in advance for any helpful information. One of my technician friends thought maybe one of the injectors maybe getting warm and sending an inductive voltage spike and the engine ecu is protecting itself??
replyreply
04-13-2024, (Subject: CUMMINS ISL CM2150 cranks sensor relearn?? Complete power loss & stalls ) 
RE: CUMMINS ISL CM2150 cranks sensor relearn?? Complete power loss & stalls
No, replacing a crank or cam sensor (or any other engine sensor) does not need any special "re-learn" procedures. Simply clearing any faults is enough.

Is it stalling out?.. or actually ecm is dying, and will no longer communicate when it shuts off?.

As far as the 'ecm dies suddenly' with no codes that you describe, it is usually either power loss to the ecm or it can be the ecm itself .. especially if it is more then 8+ years old,.. and also if someone neglects the engine and does not change the crank shaft damper (to keep vibrations at bay) when it is due.

here are some similar discussions about ecm dying ... : http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...8#pid25328

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
04-20-2024, (Subject: CUMMINS ISL CM2150 cranks sensor relearn?? Complete power loss & stalls ) 
I found the issue causing the engine to shut off intermittently. Corroded ECU pins on the OEM plug. The corroded pins affected the can bus communication and the 5 volt supply for the drive by wire throttle pedal. I hope this helps anyone in the future with a similar fault.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , hookliftpete , JimT
04-20-2024, (Subject: CUMMINS ISL CM2150 cranks sensor relearn?? Complete power loss & stalls ) 
(04-20-2024 )Asemastertech Wrote:  I found the issue causing the engine to shut off intermittently. Corroded ECU pins on the OEM plug. The corroded pins affected the can bus communication and the 5 volt supply for the drive by wire throttle pedal. I hope this helps anyone in the future with a similar fault.

never let anyone wash under the hood with a power-washer wand. that is the cause of a lot of headaches like that.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.