New Starter
10-03-2016, (Subject: New Starter ) 
New Starter
I'm looking to replace the starter before cold weather sets in. I'd like any feedback on the Denso starters vs. Delco 39MT.

Since the overhaul it's been a little slower cranking and firing up. (higher compression)
Occasionally it will just click, so I'm thinking the solenoid is going.
The Delco that's in there now hasn't been replaced since we bought the truck, 4 fresh 1050 cca batteries. I haven't done a voltage drop or amp draw test yet, just going to do it and be done with it for another 3 years. Starter relay will be replaced also.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
RE: New Starter
Interesting you ask, I'm on the third 39mt within 90 day's. What was originally installed, was a 42mt from the factory and it lasted 16 year's. I know this because it had some green paint on it, that is the same color as the truck. The first one failed one week after install. then the second one failed just 2 weeks ago. the one in there now is beginning to click just like the 2 other's. I'm beginning to pull my hair out over this ridiculous situation, especially since i wanted a 42mt installed initially, but i listened to the shop owner advice telling me it was an upgrade. I also learned that all the 39mt's are made in MEXICO OR CHINA, and became very upset about this. I now have a 42mt delco, which is by the way remanufactured in oregon, and i hope this work's out much more favorable. I will at least be contributing to the welfare of an AMERICAN WORKER.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
I'm going to get a local shop that has been doing it for 35 years to reman.
I'll look for a 42mt core.
Just wondering if anybody has tried the Denso. It needs to start when you turn the key.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
http://www.delcoremy.com/MediaLibraries/...manual.pdf
This may be of help to other's.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
10-04-2016, (Subject: New Starter ) 
I had problem with 39mt reman that failed solenoid after a month. Then I put new 39mt (about $100 more than reman)and now I have it about a year. No problems so far.

User's Signature: Cascadia ISX15 CM2350
replyreply
10-06-2016, (Subject: New Starter ) 
Do you know about the cummins prelube starter?

replyreply
(10-06-2016 )hhow55 Wrote:  Do you know about the cummins prelube starter?

Why the f$%k have I never heard of this??? Is anyone using it?

This needs to be on my trucks asap!

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(10-06-2016 )hhow55 Wrote:  Do you know about the cummins prelube starter?

Didn't your momma tell you it's not nice to tease your fellow drivers?

(10-06-2016 )Brock Wrote:  Why the f$%k have I never heard of this??? Is anyone using it?

This needs to be on my trucks asap!

I second...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
Prelubâ„¢ Starters
The Problem: All engines suffer from accelerated wear as a result of periodic dry starts especially today's high performance, fast starting diesels. No engine is immune. Dry starts can occur in severe hot or cold weather, after prolonged shutdowns or following routine oil changes.

The Solution. The Cummins Prelubâ„¢ system automatically, safely and quickly fills filters* and all oil passages prior to cranking - every time your customer's engine starts. Even remote mount oil filters pose no problem. And should someone forget to put oil in an engine, the Prelub system will not even allow the engine to begin cranking; a nice benefit that means added protection and peace of mind.

The beauty of the design is its simplicity. Just turn the existing start switch. This rotates the starter armature and oil pump (incorporated in the starter) for a few seconds until proper oil pressure is achieved. Then, and only then, will the engine crank.

Simple Installation. Installing the Cummins Prelub system is as easy as changing a starter. Simply remove your customer's conventional starter and install the Prelub starter. Attach two hoses, a pressure switch, a switch/timer assembly, a simple wiring harness and you're done. Only three basic Prelub models fit virtually all Cummins, Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel and other heavy duty diesel applications. Air start applications can also be accommodated.

It Doesn't Cost-It Pays. A Cummins Prelub starter can save your customer thousands of dollars in engine overhaul costs. Pay-back period for the initial investment can be as low as six months. And if the Prelub system saves just one turbo over the life of the engine overhaul, it has virtually paid for itself.

Protect Your Customer's Equipment Investment. Recommend the patented Prelub starters in both New and ReCon models to your customers today! Prelub is a registered trademark of RPM Industries, Inc.

Features

Eliminates "dry start" wear from severe hot and cold weather, after pro-longed shutdowns and following routine oil changes
Builds oil pressure in seconds- before your engine cranks Protects your engine investment and avoids catastrophic failure
Cummins New and ReCon models available
Three basic models handle virtually all Cummins, Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel and other heavy duty applications
Fast, easy installation
One year/unlimited mileage (kilometers)/unlimited hours warranty
Backed by the largest independent service network in the world

*Excludes new filters. Please refer to the Operation and Maintenance Manual for new filter instructions.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.