Doing cams and front structure
10-03-2016, (Subject: Doing cams and front structure ) 
Doing cams and front structure
Well today's the day I finally started. I have a bad valve cam and 3 rockers and a real bad front structure leak. While I'm at it, I'm doing rod and mains, shim my oil pump, tranny cooler and lines, put on my am soil bypass and replace my accessory harness for my headlights and washer fluid etc.

here is the gears and structure removed

./uploads/201610/post_1367_1475549746_92285cfa796e02a72e7f9f3c0b5cddb9.jpg

heres my beautiful cam

./uploads/201610/post_1367_1475549814_79c2a355bc4237fb524f0044ff499f7c.jpg

and roller

./uploads/201610/post_1367_1475549983_f4a886b5a258c240dd7261a53d97bdc9.jpg

Called it a day, we'll see how tomorrow goes.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
10-03-2016, (Subject: Doing cams and front structure ) 
RE: Doing cams and front structure
Mine looked just like that one too.
replyreply
10-04-2016, (Subject: Doing cams and front structure ) 
I hope you covered up the oil rifle and galleries in the front of the block there.
replyreply
Doe's your injector cam gear still have the old style retainer?
If so, i suggest you replace it with the new upgrade. The old one's are very prone to fail , which can cause catastrophic damage .
https://quickserve.cummins.com/qs3/porta...pp10208-01

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
Decided I would take off my turbo and bring it in to get new seals as it stared pushing oil since @m*m^2. Picking up a vibratech crankshaft damper while I'm out picking up parts.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
(10-04-2016 )Brock Wrote:  Decided I would take off my turbo and bring it in to get new seals as it stared pushing oil since @m*m^2. Picking up a vibratech crankshaft damper while I'm out picking up parts.

Damn, I shoulda stayed in Grassland and came over to play...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
For having 1.6 million km, the bottom looks great. Mains are solid and rods aren't showing near the wear I'd expect, even the cam bearings are better than expected considering this things bearings are all original!

Absolutely no sign of coolant down the cylinders.

Only thing that I see... liners are at the end of their life. looking pretty polished up.

I'm suprised at the shape of this thing considering the mandate was just removed. This truck dI'd a lot of idling at 650 with a 5w30 oil this winter. 3 hours minimum a day so I'm wondering if that may have been where my cam damage came from......

replyreply
(10-04-2016 )Brock Wrote:  For having 1.6 million km, the bottom looks great. Mains are solid and rods aren't showing near the wear I'd expect, even the cam bearings are better than expected considering this things bearings are all original!

Absolutely no sign of coolant down the cylinders.

Only thing that I see... liners are at the end of their life. looking pretty polished up.

I'm suprised at the shape of this thing considering the mandate was just removed. This truck dI'd a lot of idling at 650 with a 5w30 oil this winter. 3 hours minimum a day so I'm wondering if that may have been where my cam damage came from......

Actually, cam damage occur's when the tiny oil galley in the rocker arm shaft, become plugged with soot.
Don't feel bad , my camshaft, and rocker arm roller bearing, looked just like your's

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
10-05-2016, (Subject: Doing cams and front structure ) 
I will not let my oil become black, can't stand to see it.

Looking at those photos, I can tell that thing is soot-packed really badly. You need to clean out all that damn soot from all the passageways and block too. -- It is soot packing and clogged oil passaged in the rollers and cams that did that engine in. What a shame.

Those engines should have come from the factory with a second bypass system on them to remove all the soot,... If everyone did that to their engine when brand new, they would 2x the life out if them.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.