Doing cams and front structure
10-05-2016, (Subject: Doing cams and front structure ) 
RE: Doing cams and front structure
(10-05-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  I will not let my oil become black, can't stand to see it.

Looking at those photos, I can tell that thing is soot-packed really badly. You need to clean out all that damn soot from all the passageways and block too. -- It is soot packing and clogged oil passaged in the rollers and cams that did that engine in. What a shame.

Those engines should have come form the factory with a second bypass system on them to remove all the soot,... If everyone did that to their engine when brand new, they would 2x the life out if them.

I am throwing my amsoil bypass on right now and I just bought a spinner 2 960 as well to throw on, gonna do some real short 10 day oil changes for a bit to try and clean this out. I think I idle far too much to ever get it clean though.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
10-05-2016, (Subject: Doing cams and front structure ) 
(10-04-2016 )hhow55 Wrote:  
(10-04-2016 )Brock Wrote:  For having 1.6 million km, the bottom looks great. Mains are solid and rods aren't showing near the wear I'd expect, even the cam bearings are better than expected considering this things bearings are all original!

Absolutely no sign of coolant down the cylinders.

Only thing that I see... liners are at the end of their life. looking pretty polished up.

I'm suprised at the shape of this thing considering the mandate was just removed. This truck dI'd a lot of idling at 650 with a 5w30 oil this winter. 3 hours minimum a day so I'm wondering if that may have been where my cam damage came from......

Actually, cam damage occur's when the tiny oil galley in the rocker arm shaft, become plugged with soot.
Don't feel bad , my camshaft, and rocker arm roller bearing, looked just like your's

I don't know if it's as simple as that. This 2017 550/1850 engine getting de-mandated - had 50k miles and 1200 hours and was beginning to show cam and roller wear already!

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201610/post_895_1475718678_84df1f46e9bf86d3cacb45063eb2c5b3.jpg./uploads/201610/post_895_1475718701_6d272383723f771a2c7b24e0c99e6f34.jpg
replyreply
10-06-2016, (Subject: Doing cams and front structure ) 
./uploads/201610/post_1367_1475726269_fcd89cf370763a8c1510ac0d246237f6.jpg

getting it all cleaned up. injector cam was good so I just grabbed a used valve cam and 4 used rockers from a cummins cert mechanic shop. Rear cam seals were leaking bad so off came the doghouse... What a pain that was!

This is gonna feel like a brand new truck to me. Vibratech dampner, new motor mounts, good cams with a proper valve set. Now I'll be able to see exactly what @m*m^2 feels like.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
My injector cam was good like your's, and i had it polished and checked at a machine shop.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
(10-05-2016 )Texasdude74 Wrote:  
(10-04-2016 )Brock Wrote:  For having 1.6 million km, the bottom looks great. Mains are solid and rods aren't showing near the wear I'd expect, even the cam bearings are better than expected considering this things bearings are all original!

Only thing that I see... liners are at the end of their life. looking pretty polished up.

I'm suprised at the shape of this thing considering the mandate was just removed. This truck dI'd a lot of idling at 650 with a 5w30 oil this winter. 3 hours minimum a day so I'm wondering if that may have been where my cam damage came from......

Actually, cam damage occur's when the tiny oil galley in the rocker arm shaft, become plugged with soot.
Don't feel bad , my camshaft, and rocker arm roller bearing, looked just like your's

I don't know if it's as simple as that. This 2017 550/1850 engine getting de-mandated - had 50k miles and 1200 hours and was beginning to show cam and roller wear already!

A gallon of gear lube at every oil change is your friend. Also ensure you are getting good oil flow up there. Those Parts don't wear fast unless something causes it. Contamination from when the engine was built? -- Who knows.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(10-06-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 )Texasdude74 Wrote:  

I don't know if it's as simple as that. This 2017 550/1850 engine getting de-mandated -had 50k miles and 1200 hours and was beginning to show cam and roller wear already!

A gallon of gear lube at every oil change is your friend. Also ensure you are getting good oil flow up there. Those Parts don't wear fast unless something causes it. Contamination from when the engine was built? -- Who knows.

Definitely weird. He did everything right. First oil change at 8k, then every 12k after that. Not much idle time for a car hauler.
Maybe contamination from factory, bad heat treatment? Probably never know for sure. It's something he'll have to monitor closely. He plans to keep the truck to a million plus and no way those cams and rollers are making it.
replyreply
(10-06-2016 )Brock Wrote:  getting it all cleaned up. injector cam was good so I just grabbed a used valve cam and 4 used rockers from a cummins cert mechanic shop. Rear cam seals were leaking bad so off came the doghouse... What a pain that was!

This is gonna feel like a brand new truck to me. Vibratech dampner, new motor mounts, good cams with a proper valve set. Now I'll be able to see exactly what @m*m^2 feels like.

Well, while your doing the front end of your engine, I'm planning the back end of mine. My rear structure leak is starting to leave drop marks on the ground now. Think it's gonna be a Christmas/New Years week job...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(10-06-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(10-06-2016 )Brock Wrote:  getting it all cleaned up. injector cam was good so I just grabbed a used valve cam and 4 used rockers from a cummins cert mechanic shop. Rear cam seals were leaking bad so off came the doghouse... What a pain that was!

Well, while your doing the front end of your engine, I'm planning the back end of mine. My rear structure leak is starting to leave drop marks on the ground now. Think it's gonna be a Christmas/New Years week job...

My hand was forced. unloading down at hardisty and they didn't like the oil leaks on my truck so they booted me off site till I got them fixed.

replyreply
(10-06-2016 )Brock Wrote:  My hand was forced. unloading down at hardisty and they didn't like the oil leaks on my truck so they booted me off site till I got them fixed.

I understand...and I actually get the oxymoron in there too! Lol, that shi#t makes me shake my head and laugh every time.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.